Cat trying to climb me

CleoTheKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I’m back once again. So Cleo has recently started to almost climb/grab my leg whenever I prepare her food (during the night) and she also tries to get to it before I set it down. I want to know what I should do to stop this? I have hissed and ignored her but I’m not sure if this is working, it also really hurts when she does this, I did get small scratch marks. I don’t know if she does this because it takes too long for me to prepare her food but I don’t want her to get impatient either. :(

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Two things to try:

-high pitched EEP sound which is what actually signals to a cat that they are causing pain.

- giving her something to stand on so she isn't climbing you. This would count as redirection

- could also just give her a first bowl with a small scoop while you prepare the rest. If it's only happening at one meal period, it sounds like this period is either very long (for her) from her previous one OR that she's getting too hungry in between.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CleoTheKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two things to try:

-high pitched EEP sound which is what actually signals to a cat that they are causing pain.

- giving her something to stand on so she isn't climbing you. This would count as redirection

- could also just give her a first bowl with a small scoop while you prepare the rest. If it's only happening at one meal period, it sounds like this period is either very long (for her) from her previous one OR that she's getting too hungry in between.
Alrighty will try ^^

CleoTheKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old is Cleo and how often is she fed?
She’s almost 5 months and she gets fed 3 times a day, sometimes she doesn’t finish all of her food either. Do you reckon I should feed her more often?

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If memory serves, I was feeding mine at least four wet meals a day at that age. I also free fed a small bowl of dry she could snack on until she was over 1. Kittens need a lot of calories, they are growing so fast. It also depends on how active she is though.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
At her age she should have dry food available to her around the clock and extra food may help her calm down. But if she continues to be frantic when you are preparing her food I would just shut her in the bathroom or other room until you are ready to set her food down.

CleoTheKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If memory serves, I was feeding mine at least four wet meals a day at that age. I also free fed a small bowl of dry she could snack on until she was over 1. Kittens need a lot of calories, they are growing so fast. It also depends on how active she is though.
I see! I will try doing that then. May I ask how big these wet meal portions were?

CleoTheKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At her age she should have dry food available to her around the clock and extra food may help her calm down. But if she continues to be frantic when you are preparing her food I would just shut her in the bathroom or other room until you are ready to set her food down.
Alright I will be trying that out, thank you Susan! ^^

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was feeding probably 1/3 of a can (5.5 oz) per feeding. She actually eats less now at 10 yrs, but then she’s asleep most of the time. Lol.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would feed her wet food 3 times a day and leave dry food out for her to graze on throughout the day. She is just a baby and can't get too much nutrition. Poor thing is hungry! For evening, have a hard play session and then feed her a good serving of wet food, turn off the lights and go to bed. This will help her settle down and sleep through the night. I did this with all my kitties when they came into my home and they all sleep through the night.