Cat Trilling for the past two weeks or so & now has a hoarse meow/ losing her voice? HELP!

SkullyCola

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat, Emma is a HUGE talker (I always joke and say more than me, but it’s true!) & her brother, Oliver, recently went to the vet and came back with Kidney Failure stage III. When he got back she was very hostile towards him (& still is) and she also started trilling non stop all the time! (Like for real, it’s an insane amount! And she’s never really done that but a handful of times on her life before— she’s 15 now!) She’s been doing it for the past 2 weeks since he got home, it doesn’t seem to phase him at all... but just yesterday she sounded like she was losing her voice a little, I tried to look in her mouth to check her throat, but no luck there though I did feel outside of her throat and didn’t hear any issue from her or feel anything! (Also, she’s eating and drinking fine and talking just as much as usual!) My main concern is that she’s still trying to talk as much as usual as well as do her trilling thing and she’s just rapidly losing her voice more and more! Has anyone else ever encountered this? What could it be? She’s acting normal, like COMPLETELY normal, except for the hoarseness and the almost nearly silent meows now. No runny nose, eyes are fine and mouth seems fine as far as I can tell! I’m wondering how to help her and what I can do? I’m afraid that going to the vet is almost nearly impossible atm considering Oliver’s recent
94844971-1F1C-4AAC-BADC-F95BE1A25C91.jpeg
D5CC1B27-646B-4340-B9F5-80860C72DC40.jpeg

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might be able to "detect" that he is sick and it is worrying her so she is more vocal.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you simply CALL your Vet and ask if there is anything you can do to help soothe her throat? It may be a little raw frm all that talking.

Is she still really upset with Oliver? Growling and that sort of thing? It's normal when one has Vet smell all over them for the other(s) to not recognize them for a day or two, but if this is still going on, you may need to try to intercede. It's not like Oliver wasn't sick one hour before the Vet visit, right? So I don't think it's the actual illness that has her spooked. But he shouldn't still smell like the Vet either :dunno: Has something changed on a daily basis with him? Is he getting sub-q fluids, or are you treating him differently and perhaps she is jealous? (People say that doesn't happen, I don't believe it judging from how my two act :rolleyes2: )

AND, not to change the subject, but here is an excellent resource for all things kidney. I've had three kidney cats (and possibly a fourth - we have a follow-up visit tomorrow for more tests :frown:) This is my "go to": Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

KittyCuddler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would consider Feliway (the plug-in anxiety scented plug contraption for cats). It has helped 3 of my cats in the past, and they were all talkers! Siamese, in fact. Totally recommend! Amazon has them, so you don't even have to go to Petco to get one.