Cat Tries To Stop Me From Pacing

Alasse Earfalas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My "angel kitty", Sven, is about 5 years old. I adopted him when he was 3 to be my emotional support cat, and I swear he knows that's his job. My roommate & I both deal with complex post-traumatic stress disorder (C-PTSD), and there have been several times where he has braved a situation that would normally frighten him (like climbing onto a giant beanbag) just so he could help calm one or the other of us down from a panic attack. He stays in my bed with me when I'm depressed or dealing with a flashback and typically comes trotting over if I seem to be in distress.

I have a crazy active imagination and will often pace when I'm brainstorming or daydreaming. Every time I start pacing, my boy will be super attentive to me (like an anxious attentiveness) and try everything he can to get me to stop. Usually this means getting in my way, either just sitting in my path or rolling onto his back, but occasionally he'll try other tactics too (e.g. the other day he jumped right in front of me). I know that pacing in cats is typically a bad sign, so is he just worried there's something wrong with me? Is there anything I can do to reassure him that I'm okay? I've tried ignoring him (he stays put & interrupts my brainstorming "flow"), walking into him as if he's not there (he'll move but will still watch me and will often try to get in my way again), and stopping to try and reassure him that I'm okay before gently moving out of the way and continuing (same as previous reaction). I pace like this several times a day and I want him to know that I'm okay so he doesn't have to stress about it so much. :sigh:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This isn't what you want to hear, but my guess is that the first time he interrupted your pacing you showered him with affection, and he learned that it was a good thing for him to do.

Just because he isn't psychologist smart doesn't mean he doesn't love you a ton though. I'm glad for you to have a pet you are so bonded with.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or he could just be playing with your legs. :dunno:

I don't think the pacing is stressing him out. If he was stressed out he would run and hide or growl/attack. Sounds like he's just playing with you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - thanks ever so much for coming here!
Do you talk to yourself when you're pacing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alasse Earfalas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This isn't what you want to hear, but my guess is that the first time he interrupted your pacing you showered him with affection, and he learned that it was a good thing for him to do.
I didn't though. In fact I made a point not to for that very reason.

Or he could just be playing with your legs. :dunno:
He's played with my legs before (when I'm just walking around the house doing stuff & not pacing), and the way he behaves when I'm pacing is completely different. When I'm just walking around the house doing stuff & he wants to play, he'll pounce on my feet. When I pace, he just sits in my way or slowly rolls onto his back and stares at me, not moving at all.

Hi - thanks ever so much for coming here!
Do you talk to yourself when you're pacing?
Only very rarely, according to my roommate. :rolleyes2: I do often have music playing while I'm brainstorming, but not always.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When cats roll on their back it's a position of vulnerability. He wouldn't be doing it if he was scared or stressed. They typically only do this if they are very trusting of you or want to initiate play. I really don't think you have anything to be worried about. Sounds like you have a great companion in your cat.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Only very rarely, according to my roommate
Hmmm, well that upended my theory, I thought maybe he was responding to your voice like my Big Guy does when I'm on the phone.
The bottom line here, in my opinion, is that your cat is deliberately trying to distract you from pacing, (and at worst, is an unintentional tripping hazard).
so, what if you put him in a backpack or some other type of cat carrier attached to your body, and paced with him?
EDIT - you might not even have to do this forever - try it a few times, then see how he acts when he's back on the floor.

Alasse Earfalas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When cats roll on their back it's a position of vulnerability. He wouldn't be doing it if he was scared or stressed. They typically only do this if they are very trusting of you or want to initiate play.
That's true, and he does trust me a ton. It's just odd because it's different than how he flops onto his back when he wants affection or play; when he wants attention he'll trill & wiggle a bit, but when I pace he rolls over very slowly & then just stays there.
The bottom line here, in my opinion, is that your cat is deliberately trying to distract you from pacing, (and at worst, is an unintentional tripping hazard).
Yep, exactly. I'm just wondering why? Does he think I'm in distress? Does it just bother him? What's going on in that kitty brain of his? :gingercat:
so, what if you put him in a backpack or some other type of cat carrier attached to your body, and paced with him?
I don't think he'd appreciate that much, haha. I tried to put him in a backpack once & he was all, "Umm, no." *climbs out* :lol: Plus I'm in a small apartment so my pacing paths are really short & he can usually see the entire path at once.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
...what about a cat tree or something that would bring him up to your eye level?

Alasse Earfalas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
...what about a cat tree or something that would bring him up to your eye level?
He's got one. In fact, once he figures out that I'm pacing & not just grabbing something from the other room, he jumps down from it and proceeds to watch me & intentionally get in my way. :rolleyes:

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The reason may be something that we can't even understand as humans. Cats don't have the same language as us and we can only guess what their behaviour means. There are always going to be some mysteries when it comes to cat behaviour that we have to accept. It doesn't sound like your cat is in distress or doing anything harmful so I would just accept it :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess the only other thing I can think of is to actually pick him up and carry him with you, maybe even sing or hum to him with him in an over the shoulder style if he's not comfortable just riding in your arms. Something like this, to hopefully eventually get him more at ease with your pacing.