Cat Trees are they the cats meow in your home?

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
That's a great one!  You got it on eBay?  I'll have to check that out.

We have a couple of tall ones but they are single posts, and nothing fancy so I don't have pics of them.  I really like the stability of the double posts yours has--our cat Ozzy is no small cat and when he leaps up on the tree, I'm always afraid one of these days the whole thing will come crashing down with him on it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah on ebay and they aren't half as expensive in their than in the shops which is always a bonus we looked at one in our local pet warehouse that was similar to the one we have and they wanted 100 I was gobsmacked so glad we saw this one in the end as it saved us a shed load of cash.

catwithmycoffee

Six Cats Crazy Cat Parents
Young Cat
Purraise
The closest my cats have to a 'cat tree' is a sisal rope wrapped length of construction-grade 2x4 secured to my multi level wire bookcase.  Would love to be able to build one for them (as the price of buying one sturdy enough - my oldest weighs around 20 pounds - is ridiculous), but don't have the room in our little house.

And after digging through all of my photos, I've realized that I don't have a good pic to post of it.  Darn it.

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just recently invested in a large and tall Armakat cat tree. At first, they wouldn't go near it, and I was dreading having spent $$ on something they wouldn't use. But about a week later, they started to discover the tree and now are non-stop climbing on it. They play and sleep and rest on the high bed posts and cubby holes and love to look out the window. Every time I go into my room, at least one cat is on it. They stopped scratching the furniture and now only scratch the 12 available sisal posts. I'm so happy I decided to finally get one! And so are they!

Last edited:

dianamc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got the Armarkat  B7801 model partly because the perch platforms are a little larger than on some.  I'm glad of that since Dandy hangs over them.

She still scratches on the couch but she uses both perches and occasionally scratches on the tree.  She only goes in the little house once in awhile.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My cats love their trees. This is the first one we got. It's had a lot of use and I've had to re-string the posts in places where they were scratched bare.

Marley on the top deck.

Sadie and Twinkle on the second floor.

See Twinkles little bob tail? Half of that is fluff, her tail is only about 5 cm long.

Lizzie in the basement.

They got a new huge one for Christmas.

Here's Button and Smudge climbing on it while Jiro watches from his chair.

We also have a little one, but they mainly use that as a step in and out of the window.

Lizzie also uses it as an ambush site.

When we get our own place I want to build my own cat trees for them. It's time I put that woodwork GCSE to good use.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@jcat I don't think it is the Salem tree though Gerry similar ours came groom a German company called tec take

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
This is our tree and Mouse definitely loves it.  Mouse used to be able to jump to the middle bar of the window frame for a better view when he was younger but he doesn't quite fit these days.  If I ever have enough money to replace his current tree I think I'll try and get a taller one coz he does like it up there.... mind you, I can't trust him not to fall off things so it might not be such a good idea. 

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Ours cost us 38.90 at the start of January on eBay its now 41.90 so a small saving but she loves it
Pretty amazing buy at that price, and it looks very comfy as well as a good climb!  Nice shot of Lilly too. 
  I'll have to save up for something like this for Mouse I think, though it will have to be a bit narrower so I can still get at my window and see some daylight....   I fix mine to the wall with a short furniture strap so it can't pull over (again - yes, Mouse did manage to do that pretty much the minute his one was assembled),

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just recently invested in a large and tall Armakat cat tree. At first, they wouldn't go near it, and I was dreading having spent $$ on something they wouldn't use. But about a week later, they started to discover the tree and now are non-stop climbing on it. They play and sleep and rest on the high bed posts and cubby holes and love to look out the window. Every time I go into my room, at least one cat is on it. They stopped scratching the furniture and now only scratch the 12 available sisal posts. I'm so happy I decided to finally get one! And so are they!
interested to see which one you purchased. If you could please post a picture or link...(link would be best)

Thanks.

joe dimeowgio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about making these things for a while but I never actually owned one so I'm not sure how they perform nor how I'd design one that other people would like.  

I've looked at them at the pet store but the first thing I noticed is that they are all made from cheap OSB (strand board underlayment) which is literally about the cheapest and weakest wood sheet material you can buy at the homestore.  When this stuff gets wet it turns into soppy paper basically, and I just don't trust that kind of material.  I'd want at least plywood or something with greater strength.  The only real application you see for OSB where it bears weight is in flooring, but it is supported by studs & the weight is distributed across a large 4X8 sheet.  In the cat tower things they are small circles cut out and that material basically crumbles under pressure when unsupported.

Also a lot of these things look rickety.  I watch my kitty do some pretty amazing jumping acts in real trees and on branches that I would swear shouldn't support his weight, and he does it just fine, but it still makes me a lil nervous.  

Another thing I have wondered about is that when cats get old they can't jump around and climb as well anymore, at least in my experience.  The cat tower things all seem to be geared toward more mobile cats.  I've had to build things for older cats who couldn't get up and down & I am not sure what you'd do with these big tall things when/if the cat can no longer use them to their full potential.

joe dimeowgio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was looking at these things a while ago on Amazon and Ebay, mostly it's the same type of design over and over but I found this one which looked pretty cool: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SmartCat-Mu...842?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20de89afba

You hang that on the back of the door so not only does it take up less space but the door itself and the heavy hinges bear the weight.  Of course you would have to be very careful where exactly you hung the thing so as not to open it when a cat is on it, but maybe a closet door or an otherwise rarely used door would work.  

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I was looking at these things a while ago on Amazon and Ebay, mostly it's the same type of design over and over but I found this one which looked pretty cool: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SmartCat-Mu...842?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20de89afba

You hang that on the back of the door so not only does it take up less space but the door itself and the heavy hinges bear the weight.  Of course you would have to be very careful where exactly you hung the thing so as not to open it when a cat is on it, but maybe a closet door or an otherwise rarely used door would work.  
I was thinking of getting this for my cats, as i liked the initial idea of it, and also though it would save space in my room, however, i think most cat trees should be by some type of window, at least  for my cats, so they can sit and play and look out the window. i ended up not getting this. I got one with 3 levels that i can put in front of my window so the cats can sit and look out.