Cat tree

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Am I being really unrealistic when I'm thinking cat don't destroy or are unclean, I really fear that they do. He is initially going to be an indoor cat & im then going to try him outside, but I'm not going to force him. He'll be left about 14hrs a day including sleeping time. With his cat trees & toys do you think he'll be ok??
For his safety, you might want to keep your kitty strictly indoors.  http://pets.webmd.com/cats/features/should-you-have-an-indoor-cat-or-an-outdoor-cat

Your kitty will likely nap for most of the time that you're gone. 
  I would consider getting a timed feeder and/or water fountain since you will be away for so much of the day, however.  My husband and I feed four meals a day (two in the morning and two in the evening).  I highly advise having at least three timed meals each day rather than having only two timed meals or free-feeding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He will definitely be an indoor cat & the 14hrs will include sleeping time as well. Do you think he'll adjust??

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He will definitely be an indoor cat & the 14hrs will include sleeping time as well. Do you think he'll adjust??
As long as he has food, water, toys, and comfy warm places to nap, he'll be just fine.

You might also consider adopting a companion/playmate for him.  After adopting a second cat into our family, I have to say that cats are best in pairs. 

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He will adjust fine. Cats thrive with routines so do try to establish and keep his routines consistent. For example, feed him at certian times of the day and even play with him at regular times. My cat's knows and looks forward to our daily playtime after I have eaten dinner and washed the dishes. It's good bonding for us and she gets the energy she's been saving up all day while I'm at work. There are always things that come up but starting and keeping a routine for him will help him feel secure and not need to act out negatively. The suggestion D dorimon gave about a timed feeder is a good one. I use one for during the day while I'm at work. A timed feeder will also be helpful with keeping a routine for him.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am I being really unrealistic when I'm thinking cat don't destroy or are unclean, I really fear that they do. He is initially going to be an indoor cat & im then going to try him outside, but I'm not going to force him. He'll be left about 14hrs a day including sleeping time. With his cat trees & toys do you think he'll be ok??
For what it's worth: I leave my cat for close to 10 hours a day just for work and have never had one issue with destruction or messes. Not one. It sounds like you are covering your bases with a tree, toys, scratcher, a window to look out, food, litter box and the desire to give this boy a loving home. Sounds like all of his needs will be met so there is no reason to anticipate that there will be a problem. If you do run into a problem, you have a great resource here at TCS!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This boy is so lucky to have found you.  One question about him being destructive - is he neutered?

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I recommend Kitty Mansions cat trees. They are a bit pricey, but they may have a few on sale. Plus, you can get 10% off just for liking their page on Facebook.

I have 3 large cats and our kitty Mansion (which is the Mount Hood model) is solid as a rock and all 3 cats love it! It is made with very high quality matirials and everthing was made well. The instructions were also simple to follow when it came to assembly.

Here's the one we have (The Mount Hood model):

It has a ceiling stabilizer that extends far enough to fit 9 foot ceilings (our ceilings are 8 feet high).

And some photos of our cats enjoying the Kitty Mansion. These were taken a mere 15 minutes after I got the entire thing assembled! Sorry for the poor quality, these were taken at around 3:30 am and my phone is horrible in low light.

I also like that this model came with extra large baskets and bed (all the baskets and the bed are 15 inches in diameter, as apposed to the 8-12 inch ones that come with most cat trees) and the little cubby/box is 24 inches long so they have plenty of room to stretch out in it. I also like that all 3 of them can hang out on it at the same time, yet they have enough room on it so that each of them has their own space.

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We're on our second very large cat. Our last cat was so rough on trees that he ended up testing models. :lol3: There are a lot of different brands of cat trees, but what you're looking for is 1) a stable base, 2) a big diameter - 11.5, 13 or even 15 cm. poles are available in Europe and often advertised for Maine Coons, and 3) if possible, a ceiling model so it won't tip. Some cat trees can be affixed to a wall with brackets, though, so a ceiling model isn't an absolute necessity. In other words, something similar to what raina21 raina21 has posted.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks folks, all your info has been invaluable. Raina21 I love your cat tree. Talking peanut yes he has been neutered. From what the lady says he is very chilled & laid back.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks folks, all your info has been invaluable. Raina21 I love your cat tree. Talking peanut yes he has been neutered. From what the lady says he is very chilled & laid back.
Then I don't think you should have any trouble at all!

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just looked on kittymansions.com and apparently the Mount Hood model will be back in stock near the end of june. And (I think) they also ship internationally, but I dont know how much that would cost. Haha.

Last edited:

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does the size of the cat tree matter as I'm struggling for space to fit a large one in. I plan to get two small ones about 1metre high & put them in different places in my living diner, do you think that would be acceptable & sturdy enough??

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It all depends on how the tree is structured and what type of base it has. Do you have any pictures of the specific trees you were planning on getting?

If he is a large cat, he may not like a smaller tree.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The two posted above both look great, especially if you can place them in front of windows.

Last edited:

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Something taller would be ideal, but it is even more important that it fits in your home. 
  The two trees you posted look nice and sturdy!

Are there a lot of high places in your home that kitty can access?  Coco and Callie love to jump up on top of our kitchen cabinets and stare down at us lowly humans.

Last edited:

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Those seem like they would be fine :)

The base for the 2nd one might me a teeensy bit small? But I'm sure it would be fine. Just make sure to push it against a wall so he can't tip it over in case he decides to take a flying leap onto it (which most cats do with cat trees at one time or another).

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awe that's great. No their isn't really any high places, I might be able to move things around & fit one in behind my sofa that will look straight out into my back garden. The place is taken up by a sit-up machine but I could put that in my spare room. That would allow me to get a bigger one with more bases & play things on it.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awe that's great. No their isn't really any high places, I might be able to move things around & fit one in behind my sofa that will look straight out into my back garden. The place is taken up by a sit-up machine but I could put that in my spare room. That would allow me to get a bigger one with more bases & play things on it.
That sounds like a great plan...he would love looking out into a garden!