cat tree or no cat tree

beesto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Soon to be first time cat momma wondering how important a cat tree is to my new kitten.  We have a two story house so she has room to run up and down, but our window sills don't seem big enough for her to sit on.  Should it be placed by a window?  

They all seem so big at the bottom to be sturdy... I'm getting a female Siberian cat and I know they're a large breed so I thought I should get a sturdy one.  I don't know if it's all the reviews but I"m getting dizzy looking at all the different types and reading the reviews.  From what I can tell I need to get a big base and make sure it's sturdy.  We will only have this one cat for a year, but then in another year I hope to get another one.

Also, if I should get one, should I have one ready for when we bring her home.  She will be staying in a room by herself in the day while we're at work/school the first 6 weeks she's home (she'll be 10 weeks when we get her)  but then my husband and I will be off for the summer and we'll be able to keep a better eye on her and play with her more at least for the summer.

Thank you,

Bonnie

maureen29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Beesto,

Cats love to be up high. Getting a cat tree is a good idea. But more important is getting stimulation when home alone, & play time with you & husband. I suggest getting toys which cater to thier natural instincts. 

Maureen

42cattier

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here no large cat trees are available, only for very young miniature kittens. DIY way then, if there is space/tools/supplies for this.

Window view could be from the back of the sofa, from desk near window. Cat tree could be in the corner of the room, back to the wall, safe observation point of the room.

My cat first month used highest accessible piece of furniture to watch for the room entry, then relaxed. 

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our first cat didn't have a tower most of his life and would just take advantage of the furniture (especially high points, so my boyfriend used to have to block off the top of the fridge and such), but we got one a few months ago and he LOVES it. I say if you have the space and money, go for it. If you can't find one you can trust based on your cat's projected height and weight full grown, you could see about getting one made for you or building it yourself if either of you are handy. It's a good vantage point and both of our cats love it. We initially had it against a wall and near a window, but now that the curtains are drawn on that window all the time, we slid it over by the hallway so the cats can peek around and see what's happening in the adjacent rooms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beesto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you to all for your insights... I'll definitely get a cat tree.  Does anyone recommend the Armakat brand?  I have seen good reviews- but I know most of those reviews are marketing.

smartyfoj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I own an Armakat brand tree that is reasonably large, about 6ft tall with two cubbies, 2 sets of steps, and three perches. It couldn't have been a better purchase.  We were able to buy it for about $100 so I also liked their prices.  The tree is very sturdy, I like that all the support posts are covered in sisal for scratching.  The tree is well liked by our three cats. The carpeting has stood up well to use with all of our cats.  I'd say the tree is about a year or two old. We put it by a window and usually someone is on it throughout a day. I personally can vouch for that brand. 

Also I've read some of your other posts and it sounds like you'll be a great kitty caretaker.  I hope you enjoy your kitten!

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Get a tree right away so your new kitty will have a place to climb and SCRATCH right away before it gets any idea about scratching the furniture. For this soon to be large cat the tree can't be big enough so get the tallest one that will fit and that you can afford, making sure that it has a large enough base so it won't tip over. Push on it hard and see if the base will come right off the floor on one side, if so then its footprint is not big enough. Get one with lots of sisal on the legs because once kitty has shredded those you can easily refurbish those yourself with items available at your local Home Depot. Check the Internet on how to refurbish a scratching post, I watched a short film by some girl scouts and followed that and it turned out very professional looking and I'm 71 years old. It just took sisal rope, some smallish nails and quite a bit of Elmer's Glue or something like it. On the picture you can see that the bottom is still the original sisal but the much bigger part was shredded beyond repair and now looks like new. You can do the same thing with any tree where the sisal has been shredded or replace torn-up carpet on tree legs with sisal.
 Place it close to a window so kitty can see out and watch the world go by, especially since kitty will be staying home by itself all day for some weeks. Besides the tree you should also have a post like this one and cardboard scratching pads in case kitty likes to scratch your carpet, the pads should be more interesting than carpet and can easily be replaced and they are not expensive. Once kitty is not confined to the one room you might want to move the tree to a more centrally located place like your living room so kitty can enjoy your company when it is on the tree. 

nycats

Mother of 3 cats & fosters
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also have an Armarkat cat tree, and it was the best purchase for my babies that I ever made. I have it placed by the window overlooking the street, and my cats just love to lounge on there. My girl runs and get up on the high platform, every time I bring out da bird, so she can catch it high up in the air. I highly recommend getting one for your kitty.

Last edited:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Soon to be first time cat momma wondering how important a cat tree is to my new kitten.  We have a two story house so she has room to run up and down, but our window sills don't seem big enough for her to sit on.  Should it be placed by a window?  

They all seem so big at the bottom to be sturdy... I'm getting a female Siberian cat and I know they're a large breed so I thought I should get a sturdy one.  I don't know if it's all the reviews but I"m getting dizzy looking at all the different types and reading the reviews.  From what I can tell I need to get a big base and make sure it's sturdy.  We will only have this one cat for a year, but then in another year I hope to get another one.

Also, if I should get one, should I have one ready for when we bring her home.  She will be staying in a room by herself in the day while we're at work/school the first 6 weeks she's home (she'll be 10 weeks when we get her)  but then my husband and I will be off for the summer and we'll be able to keep a better eye on her and play with her more at least for the summer.

Thank you,

Bonnie
Regarding window sills that are not wide enough for a cat to sit on: there are window ledges for cats available that hook into the bottom of the window track. I have had those for really large cats (17 lbs) and they work really well for windows that slide up and down. They also work for side sliding windows but only when the window is open, otherwise the track is too narrow to accomodate the sliding window and the hooks of the window ledge at the same time. Also, the "feet" that rest against the wall need to be padded with something, what comes with them is not enough to keep them from scratching the wall below. A little more padding on the top would be nice too. Just get your new kitty out of that "one room only" as soon as possible, you don't want it to think that it is "in jail".

beesto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you!  I had never heard of that window sill deal.  Also, I would love to let my kitten out of the room during the day.  Do you think it's ok for a kitten to be out and about the house on her own.  I won't be able to unplug all our cords and such things that I've been cautioned about.  What do you think?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
In reference to cat trees...
I too like the Armarkat brand. We have the Classic 73" and the Classic 82". They are sturdy and hold up well. I also like the Kitty Mansions brand. We have the Troy tree and I just received their Amazon tree yesterday! It is by far the sturdiest tree I have.

About kitten having free roam...
I suggest doing as you planned and giving the baby a safe room to be in while you are gone. Kittens can get into trouble quickly. I think with a cat tree, some interactive toys (turbo chaser is great) she will do ok. She will need lots of love and interaction, of course, as soon as you get home. =)

While you are home, you can see what kind of mischief she gets into and accommodate for that. She should be well ready to free roam during the day when you return to school in the fall.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep kitty in the one room for now and let her out when you are home. Once you know what kind of mischief she gets into you can take care of that so it will be safe for her when she is alone. That should only take a few weeks and you need to set boundaries for her whenever you are home so that she will learn early what is allowed and what is not (no jumping on counters and tables, no scratching furniture, no begging for people food, etc., any decent book on kitten and cat behavior will help you out with that). Soon you will have a loving companion with good manners. Brush and comb your kitty daily so the long fur of the Siberian does not get tangled and matted. Don't forget to get kitty neutered and ABSOLUTELY NO DECLAWING! Your kitty is worth more than your furniture and rugs.

beesto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's what I will do!  And I will definitely not declaw... no worries. It's not legal in CA someone told me anyway- but I wouldn't regardless.  I am going to try those purrdy paws though to give it a shot.

She's going to stay in my daughters room during the day until summer when we can watch her and help train her, but I am realizing she probably won't be able to sleep in my daughter's room and allow for a good nights sleep.  (I will put the cat tree and plenty of toys to help make it less boring.  I do feel for her though, especially being taken from her mommy and siblings and then suddenly all alone.)  I'm getting a Feliway diffuser to help relax her.

I'm guessing I'll find another room for her to sleep in.  Do you agree?  Should I get a cat bed in this case or are blankets enough?

Thanks,

Bonnie

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Would it be possible for kitten to sleep in your bedroom? Being alone for 6+ hrs during the day and then spending all night alone is a lot to ask of a single kitten IMO.

If this is not an option, I would suggest creating a safe room for her that she could stay in during the day while you are gone and then again during the night.

beesto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, it would be possible.  I was thinking we wouldn't get any sleep and I have to get up at 4:45 am.  (I sleep in my daughters bedroom.)  But you make a good point about being alone all day and then in the night.  I am definitely willing to put up with a little sleep loss if the kitten will start to understand its quiet sleep time.  Should I take out the cat toys at night?

Bonnie

maureen29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cat can be nocturnal. So i would say it 's not a bad idea. Or leave them out & when she wants to play she will play.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a very large cat and a 5 foot, heavy bottomed, three level cat tree with a large base. Even so, we had to secure the cat tree to the wall using two eye hooks and a wire in a place on the cat tree where the cat wouldn't get caught on the wire because when the cat went up the cat tree in an energetic rush, the whole contraption wobbled like crazy. We were concerned that the cat would tip the tree. We didn't want the cat tree to come down on him, and didn't want the cat to have to make a potentially life threatening jump from a falling cat tree.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn't take out all the toys. I would give her a few "night time" toys to play with...like soft mice or a sponge ball...nothing that lights up or makes a noises. If no toys are provided she will find *something* to play with.

I would suggest a rigorous play session and a good meal (wet food) right before bedtime will help her adjust to sleeping more at night.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, that's what I will do!  And I will definitely not declaw... no worries. It's not legal in CA someone told me anyway- but I wouldn't regardless.  I am going to try those purrdy paws though to give it a shot.

She's going to stay in my daughters room during the day until summer when we can watch her and help train her, but I am realizing she probably won't be able to sleep in my daughter's room and allow for a good nights sleep.  (I will put the cat tree and plenty of toys to help make it less boring.  I do feel for her though, especially being taken from her mommy and siblings and then suddenly all alone.)  I'm getting a Feliway diffuser to help relax her.

I'm guessing I'll find another room for her to sleep in.  Do you agree?  Should I get a cat bed in this case or are blankets enough?

Thanks,

Bonnie
Kitty will decide where she wants to sleep which is why most of us end up with the cat in our bed. I find cat beds to be a waste of money and resources. Most of us have baskets around the house, you can take one of those, put a blanket or a washable pillow in it and if kitty likes it she will use it. If not then you have not wasted your money on something you don't need. I know a lot of people who have small indoor dogs who use the carrier for the dog's place to sleep at night or when they do not want the dog underfoot like when they vacuum, that is another solution and kitty will not be afraid to go in the carrier when it's time to go to the vet.

Cats have pretty short memories, especially kittens (just like children) and are easily distracted. So kitty is not going to whine and cry for hours on end whenever you leave her alone unlike dogs who can carry on for hours. Besides that they will wear themselves out really fast and go to sleep. Remember that even grown cats sleep as much as 18 hours out of 24. So if you play with kitty, feed her well and pet and praise her a lot just before bedtime then kitty will sleep through the night, totally worn out with all that attention. But even during that time, if she misbehaves  you immediately need to put a stop to the unwanted behavior as it will  be harder later to convince her that this behavior is not acceptable. Training starts immediately, it cannot be delayed unless you are up for a lot frustration. 

Declawing is still legal in California, however, there are some cities like Santa Monica that have outlawed it. Hopefully many more will soon follow.

Kitty Caps will work well, try the colored ones (I know they look a little weird, like putting nail polish on a cat, lol!) since they show up better you can see when they fall off. However, if you train kitty right away to use scratchers etc then you won't need those. Out of my 3 cats only one is a scratcher of furniture and she did not do that until 4 years ago and she is now 15, go figure.