• no

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
i wasn't sure where to post this but i wanted your opinion on something..
so we are moving in about a month and i have a cat tree at the current apartment but my cat barely uses it, sometimes she sleep on the very top so i decided not to take it with us. I was thinking of doing shelf's instead of a cat tree which would look better at our new apartment. anyways, i was thinking of a pompom rug would be a good idea to put it on top of the shelf, so it's soft and she can lay on it. but now i started to wonder if she won't pick at the strings and eat them..

all opinions are welcome :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My first thought is that the anchoring you would need to do to support a cat shelf might be more wall damage than your landlord would want. And I kind of don’t like taking away a familiar sleeping spot from a cat when they have to get used to a new environment. I would at least move it with you and decide after she settles if you want to toss it,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My first thought is that the anchoring you would need to do to support a cat shelf might be more wall damage than your landlord would want. And I kind of don’t like taking away a familiar sleeping spot from a cat when they have to get used to a new environment. I would at least move it with you and decide after she settles if you want to toss it,
the shelf is gonna have bracket support as well, and my cat has about 3 different beds in a one bedroom apartment. i believe she will be fine if we get rid of the cat tree.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Congrats on your upcoming move next month. You mentioned your cat barely sleeps on the present cat tree in your apartment - just out of curiosity, is it placed in front of a window where she can be easily entertained? I thought I would recommend this Article about unique cat tree designs that might give you some interesting ideas: Cat Trees: 12 Designs That Will Make You Go "wow!"

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congrats on your upcoming move next month. You mentioned your cat barely sleeps on the present cat tree in your apartment - just out of curiosity, is it placed in front of a window where she can be easily entertained? I thought I would recommend this Article about unique cat tree designs that might give you some interesting ideas: Cat Trees: 12 Designs That Will Make You Go "wow!"
thank you, will definitely check it out. and no the cat tree is in the corner but she does have a window bed mount to lay on and look out the window. :)

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Personally if I had the money I would love to set up some cat shelves to make a little kitty road up to our plant shelf and back down the other side, I think they look much better and would be better for Sadie. That said, I would take the cat tree with you, even if it’s just for a couple of weeks until she settles in

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I would do that in an apartment. That involves a lot of drilling that a landlord might not like and if she doesn't show interest in the shelves, then what? And to answer your question, I don't think I'd put pompoms on it. How will you secure the rug to the shelf? Aren't you afraid it would slide off?
I have two cat trees by windows and my cats enjoy them because they can relax and watch the birds. Maybe take it with you and put it by a window.
Basscat posted that cool picture of the ladder, that might be better than drilling holes.

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I would do that in an apartment. That involves a lot of drilling that a landlord might not like and if she doesn't show interest in the shelves, then what? And to answer your question, I don't think I'd put pompoms on it. How will you secure the rug to the shelf? Aren't you afraid it would slide off?
I have two cat trees by windows and my cats enjoy them because they can relax and watch the birds. Maybe take it with you and put it by a window.
Basscat posted that cool picture of the ladder, that might be better than drilling holes.
okay, um i look at things differently. why would it be a big problem to hand wall shelf's when i still have to hang the tv, curtain rods and everything else i have on the wall. and i don't want a big tree just standing in the middle of the room so it can be next to a window. that's what she has the window bed mount for. and obviously the rug would have been either glued to the shelf or stapled.

i was thinking of something like on the picture but instead of the carpet rug to do a pompom rug.

Attachments

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OK, the window mount bed is a good idea and that's what you already have. I was just saying as an alternative, the tree could be by the window. It wouldn't be in the middle of the room, it would be by the window.
The problem with the wall mounts -- or anything else going into the wall is that 1) you don't own the apartment. Some landlords don't want drilling into the walls for other than something practical like a curtain rod or to hang blinds. Better ask. They may not even want you to bracket the TV into the wall. 2) a shelf for a cat to lay on might require wall anchors if you can't find the wall studs to drill into, which means a bigger hole. Any holes in the walls might have to be repaired when you move out and some landlords might deduct from your deposit for it. It might be in your lease.
If the building is old, the walls are most likely plaster not drywall. Drilling holes into plaster can weaken parts of the walls. If it's drywall, then for sure you will need a wall anchor, unless, like I said, you can drill into a wall stud.

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK, the window mount bed is a good idea and that's what you already have. I was just saying as an alternative, the tree could be by the window. It wouldn't be in the middle of the room, it would be by the window.
The problem with the wall mounts -- or anything else going into the wall is that 1) you don't own the apartment. Some landlords don't want drilling into the walls for other than something practical like a curtain rod or to hang blinds. Better ask. They may not even want you to bracket the TV into the wall. 2) a shelf for a cat to lay on might require wall anchors if you can't find the wall studs to drill into, which means a bigger hole. Any holes in the walls might have to be repaired when you move out and some landlords might deduct from your deposit for it. It might be in your lease.
If the building is old, the walls are most likely plaster not drywall. Drilling holes into plaster can weaken parts of the walls. If it's drywall, then for sure you will need a wall anchor, unless, like I said, you can drill into a wall stud.
well yeah but that's why i am paying the deposit (which i don't need back), if i'm planning on living in the apartment for the next couple of years i do want it to look nice and make it how i want it. but that's kinda another topic. and i have a pretty big cat tree so it would be in the middle of the room if it's by the window since the windows are in the middle of the wall. i am planning on going with the shelf's i just wanted to know if i should don't he pompom rug or a carpet rug, because i don't want her pulling at the strings and eating them.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat does sometimes pull strings out of the carpet for fun...she would definitely destroy a pompom rug! Maybe a carpet with tight weave or one of those cat-scratcher rugs would be best, rather than a typical carpet with yarns that stick up and out would be less tempting?

My first cat didn't really take to the cat tree, either. Fortunately, Juniper LOVES the thing, so it wasn't a waste of $. I hear you...they're large, and take up a lot of space in a small apartment, which may not be worth it if your cat doesn't seem very interested.

I do like the suggestion made by a previous poster to take it with you initially so that your cat has familiar objects at first in her new space, and then get rid of it in a few weeks if she is still indifferent to it. Cats sometimes make big changes to their habits and interests when they move into a new space, so you never know.....she could decide it's great in the context of her new home.

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat does sometimes pull strings out of the carpet for fun...she would definitely destroy a pompom rug! Maybe a carpet with tight weave or one of those cat-scratcher rugs would be best, rather than a typical carpet with yarns that stick up and out would be less tempting?

My first cat didn't really take to the cat tree, either. Fortunately, Juniper LOVES the thing, so it wasn't a waste of $. I hear you...they're large, and take up a lot of space in a small apartment, which may not be worth it if your cat doesn't seem very interested.

I do like the suggestion made by a previous poster to take it with you initially so that your cat has familiar objects at first in her new space, and then get rid of it in a few weeks if she is still indifferent to it. Cats sometimes make big changes to their habits and interests when they move into a new space, so you never know.....she could decide it's great in the context of her new home.
yeah i'm definitely taking it with us since we might be getting another cat actually :) i don't know, i was so in love with the pompom idea because it would be soft for her to sleep on but maybe i will try the carpet, but then when i think about it i do have a blanket on the couch which has strings coming out and she hasn't touched the strings. maybe i should give it a try and if something change it later to a carpet ?

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you considered something like this instead of the Pom Pom rug? . This is what they like to use at kitten academy because the fur is soft like another cat’s (I’ve even seen a kitten or two try to groom it :lol:).

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you considered something like this instead of the Pom Pom rug? . This is what they like to use at kitten academy because the fur is soft like another cat’s (I’ve even seen a kitten or two try to groom it :lol:).
no, it didn't really cross my mind. will definitely look into it :)

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I, too, love basscat basscat 's ladder idea, and might have to try it myself! However, I think that you can easily do the shelves if you're going to be mounting stuff on the wall anyway, especially if it's drywall. Place heavy things with anchors, and align with studs. When you leave, you can just patch and carefully paint over it. Since your cat likes the wall-mounted bed, I bet the shelves will be a big hit! Also, if you get another cat, it will be a good idea to increase their vertical territory.

As for the pom pom rug, I have to agree with others and say it'll probably get destroyed. I work in a clothing store that sold lots of pom pom stuff the last two springs, and it's basically guaranteed that some poms will fall off the trim, even without a cat playing with it. My cats go nuts when I wear it.
Because of the danger of ingestion (and potential intestinal blockage,) were the cat to eat some pom poms, I wouldn't risk it. She might ignore your blanket fringe, but dangling pom poms are gonna be pretty alluring to any cat. If you're in love with the pom pom decor for your new place, you could still utilize it in a place where the cats can't reach. Of course, it's up to you. This is just my opinion. I like the aforementioned sheepskin rug idea from Desertmouse Desertmouse - my cats love faux fur blankets and things! Good luck with your move!

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I, too, love basscat basscat 's ladder idea, and might have to try it myself! However, I think that you can easily do the shelves if you're going to be mounting stuff on the wall anyway. When you leave, you can just patch the drywall and carefully paint over it if you have to. Since your cat likes the wall-mounted bed, I bet the shelves will be a big hit! Also, if you get another cat, it will be a good idea to increase their vertical territory.

As for the pom pom rug, I have to agree with others and say it'll probably get destroyed. I work in a clothing store that sold lots of pom pom stuff the last two springs, and it's basically guaranteed that some poms will fall off the trim, even without a cat playing with it. My cats go nuts when I wear it.
Because of the danger of ingestion (and potential intestinal blockage,) were the cat to eat some pom poms, I wouldn't risk it. She might ignore your blanket fringe, but dangling pom poms are gonna be pretty alluring to any cat. If you're in love with the pom pom decor for your new place, you could still utilize it in a place where the cats can't reach. Of course, it's up to you. This is just my opinion. I like the aforementioned sheepskin rug idea from Desertmouse Desertmouse - my cats love faux fur blankets and things! Good luck with your move!
thank you and yeah i won't risk it. i will just get the rug :) and the pompoms where just for the cat, i thought it would look awesome on the shelf and be very comfortable but i do not want her to eat it.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes! My Gwenkitty had two faux fur pillows that she used to love. She would sleep on them and knead them, and we used to joke that they were her boyfriends.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thank you and yeah i won't risk it. i will just get the rug :) and the pompoms where just for the cat, i thought it would look awesome on the shelf and be very comfortable but i do not want her to eat it.
After your last comment, I think I might have been confused. I just googled pom pom rug, and maybe I'm not invisioning what you meant. I thought you were talking about this style (with pom pom trim:)
IMG_9700.JPG

But maybe you meant this style:

IMG_9701.JPG

Which would be very comfy for the cat. And probably fine since it's not small, dangling pieces. Sorry if I misunderstood!

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After your last comment, I think I might have been confused. I just googled pom pom rug, and maybe I'm not invisioning what you meant. I thought you were talking about this style (with pom pom trim:)
View attachment 227830

But maybe you meant this style:

View attachment 227831

Which would be very comfy for the cat. And probably fine since it's not small, dangling pieces. Sorry if I misunderstood!
yes it's the second one. maybe i wasn't clear about it.