Cat treats....

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

I'm looking for a kibble kind of treat that doesn't have any of the glutens (wheat, rice, or corn). I need cruchy kibble type, because Swanie's favorite game is to crouch on the stairs in the morning and "stalk" the kibble I throw to him. I was using Royal Canin, switched to Fancy Feast Gold because of recall issues, but that has corn gluten so it's in the trash. I had Nutro at one point, but I can't remember why I got rid of it.

It seems like every kind of "junk" food out there has corn gluten or ground corn or other stuff implicated in the recall. Swanie thanks you all for your help
try innova evo. that's what i'm using until all this is figured out. (the guys were getting FF gourmet gold for treats, before the recalls started) stimpy only likes crunchy treats. i found a 2.2 lb bag for $5 locally.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
EVo would be a choice/....

SOlid gold took out the garlic about a yr ago ... that was verified thru the company nutritionist

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the suggestions, you have no idea how much I appreciate all of you guys on this site. I don't know how I could get through this mess without you.

I've tried the Kitty Kaviar, but there was no interest in it. I really need something cruchy and toss-able, anyway, which that definitely isn't. I don't know about Halo, I'll have to look. I didn't like the ingredients in their food, but I can't remember why. Maybe garlic?

I just tried to find a place locally that sells Solid Gold, but no luck of course.

I have Evo on order, but if it doesn't show up today, I did find a place I can get that one locally. Maybe they have some samples I can try. I also might get some of the Cal. Natural Fish and Sweet Potato. They like the Chicken and Rice, maybe they would like that for the occasional treat.

Has Wellness stopped using garlic? I looked on their web site, and it's not listed. I went out at lunch to buy a bag, and it's still listed on the bag. So maybe they just stopped using it, or maybe they just don't list it on the web site? I hovered around it uncertainly for a few minutes, but I just can't bring myself to feed them garlic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I would not recommend using Pounce as they have one treat product on the recall ( i just do not trust them right now ). So i think it's wodnerful you're looking into other treat options. Today I picked up "Wildside Salmon" treats - it's compltely safe from all that recall stuff and the ONLY ingredient is 100% raw wild salmon
They make it for cats and dogs. What i actually did (since there's only one ingredient- the only different in the cat and dog treats are the size) was i bought the dog ones (they did not carry the cat ones but will order it for me if i like the product
) and i gave one to each dog, then pinched off a small piece for the kitties- HUGE hit!!!
They LOVE it and i feel great knowing there is only one ingredient and it's safe!!!
(At first i thought the price was a little expensive (about $4 for the small package of dog treats- but when i thought about it- i can use it for both my cats and dogs so it's really not expensive at all!!!
) You can also buy it online as well. I will be getting it from my local pet store, Hollywood Pet Star because they are WONDERFUL and really go out of their way to make sure the pet foods in their store are safe (not recalled) and are very helpfull. They recently ordered a huge shippment of kitten food for me and only charge retail for it- no other fees for ordering it. So anything i need pet food wise- i just ask them and they order it for me- so i will definitely be getting it at the store to avoid shipping charges online..so if you have a local pet store like that, maybe try ordreing through the store if they don't carry it in stock. I was very happy with the new treats
Thank you sooooo much- i didn't even think to look to see if pounce was on the recall list. we won't be buying any more of them!! thanks!!!!

khepri'smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is weird. He won't touch normal cat treats. He won't even eat wet food. His favourite treat is Vaseline! The good thing about that is that it keeps his hairballs down.
He thinks the prescription s/d food is a treat too.

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought I remembered reading that garlic was good to feed cats because it was a natural flea control?

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by deljo

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought I remembered reading that garlic was good to feed cats because it was a natural flea control?
Garlic and onion can be toxic to cats.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=2414

You might be thinking of Kyolic garlic which has "fewer" detrimental properties:

http://www.wholecatjournal.com/articles/fleas.htm though imo, just no.

Adding another link on this:http://www.petsbynature.com/Garlic.htm

When in doubt always ask your vet; the concensus today is any benefits are outweighed by health risks.

I like my approach to no fleas: Indoor cats
(ok I had to!)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Garlic IS NOT SAFE for cat s... it can be toxic and the amount varies cat to cat ... I am currently using a grain free food with some and the vet said keep a close eye and not to feed it often

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now their treats are Greenies and Nutro Max Cat Gourmet Kitty. I'm trying to find something healthier that I don't have to order online.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Wildside Salmon - excellent freeze-dried salmon
Grandma Lucys - ocean white fish,
Kitty Kaviar - the original flaked fish treat, made from Bonito, a kind of tuna.
mine all like these, plus Cable also likes the KatCheez treats from Petsmart
Originally Posted by Misty8723

Two paws way down to the Wellness Core. Haven't gotten the others yet to try. I wish I could find Orijen somewhere.

Solid Gold has garlic (which I avoid). But thanks.
you can order it online here.