Cat Treated Last Week For Uti - Noticed Issues Again Today

chris87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last week, I noticed that my cat was acting strangely (lethargic, sleeping a lot). She also kept going into the litter box. I was afraid that it was bowel related. I took her to the vet on Saturday morning, and they confirmed that it was a UTI. They gave her a Convenia injection which is supposed to be long acting. After taking her home, she started showing improvement almost immediately. I noticed no further issues until last night when I saw her sitting in the litter box. She was in there again this morning (appeared to be straining) and did not come down to eat. Her appetite has actually been off since last week. I cannot get her to eat anything besides tuna. I know that's not good, but I don't want her to be hungry. I'm wondering if I need to take her back to the vet tonight. She used to get UTIs very frequently, but I changed my cats to a raw diet in 2015. This seemed to eliminate the UTIs, and this is the first time in a few years that one of my cats has one. I am disappointed to say the least, but I guess they can still happen from time to time.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry she is having problems again. However if she still does not seem right then yes, i would definitely take her back in.
Please keep us updated on how she is doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chris87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sorry she is having problems again. However if she still does not seem right then yes, i would definitely take her back in.
Please keep us updated on how she is doing.
Thank you. I have an appointment at 4:45 PM. I will let you know what happens.

chris87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet did an x-ray to rule out a kidney stone. He said that it was clear. He changed the antibiotic to Zeniquin. I'm hoping that this works. I am having trouble getting her to eat, but I have been able to get her to eat a few Purebites. I'm hoping that's enough to hold her over until her appetite comes back. Does anyone know how long it normally takes? I'm very worried about her, and I'm hoping that this UTI goes away.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second the vote for Gerber Stage 2 baby food! You can also ask your vet about adding marshmallow root, red raspberry leaf and chamomile teas to her regimen to soothe her irritated and inflamed bladder, ureters and urethra while her body is busy fighting off the infection. If your vet is unfamiliar with herbs, I highly recommend consulting a holistic vet. My vet uses holistic medicine in conjunction with modern medicine and I see faster relief of symptoms than with antibiotics alone.
Please keep us updated! I hope that your precious girl gets relief soon!

chris87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried the Gerber Stage 2 yesterday (Chicken), and she won’t touch it. She takes one sniff and then walks away from the dish. She won’t eat any of the weruva, tiki, tuna, or purebites. The vet wanted me to give her cosequin, but I can’t get her to touch her food. She is drinking well at least. Is it normal for a uti to last this long (last Friday)? Is her lack of appetite likely due to the infection or the antibiotic? I think that I will have to force feed her with a syringe. She will fight me, but I don’t know what else to do. I’m just worried that the doctor missed something.

chris87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I second the vote for Gerber Stage 2 baby food! You can also ask your vet about adding marshmallow root, red raspberry leaf and chamomile teas to her regimen to soothe her irritated and inflamed bladder, ureters and urethra while her body is busy fighting off the infection. If your vet is unfamiliar with herbs, I highly recommend consulting a holistic vet.
Thank you. I am going to look into this. Anything that would help her feel better faster would be great. I just wish that I could get her to eat.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried the Gerber Stage 2 yesterday (Chicken), and she won’t touch it. She takes one sniff and then walks away from the dish. She won’t eat any of the weruva, tiki, tuna, or purebites. The vet wanted me to give her cosequin, but I can’t get her to touch her food. She is drinking well at least. Is it normal for a uti to last this long (last Friday)? Is her lack of appetite likely due to the infection or the antibiotic? I think that I will have to force feed her with a syringe. She will fight me, but I don’t know what else to do. I’m just worried that the doctor missed something.
Sorry your kitty still isn't eating. :(

We recently went through something similar with one of our cats. The antibiotics worked great for knocking out his infection, but they really upset his tummy and wreaked havoc with his food allergies. He kept eating less and less, until he wasn't eating anything at all.

We finally had to syringe feed him, but even his usual foods that we liquified in the blender were making him feel nauseated. So I dissolved some Nutri-Cal in some water and added that to the baby food. Then because I was worried about him got getting any taurine in his diet, I started adding that. After about three days, he finally turned the corner and started eating on his own again.

Hope you find something that will tempt your cat's appetite soon. *crosses fingers*

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The antibiotics really wreak havoc with their tummy. I love Cheeser's idea of Nutrical thinned with water! I am having trouble with one of my semi-ferals, Coco, who is FIV+ because his appetite is so bad from the med-induced nausea; when in flare-up, he gets very skittish again so force-feeding is not an option & food is the only way for me to administer meds. So I understand how worrisome this is for you. And from a personal standpoint, I know how awful UTIs and kidney stones/infections are. The herbs do help tremendously in my experience.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The antibiotics really wreak havoc with their tummy. I love Cheeser's idea of Nutrical thinned with water! I am having trouble with one of my semi-ferals, Coco, who is FIV+ because his appetite is so bad from the med-induced nausea; when in flare-up, he gets very skittish again so force-feeding is not an option & food is the only way for me to administer meds. So I understand how worrisome this is for you. And from a personal standpoint, I know how awful UTIs and kidney stones/infections are. The herbs do help tremendously in my experience.
I have to confess, I'm a bit of a klutz, and trying to use Nutri-Cal straight out of the tube was a complete and utter mess! But since I already dissolve Buddy's L-lysine and lactoferrin for his FIV/FHV in water before mixing it with baby food, I figured I'd try that with the Nutri-Cal, and it worked out much better. :)

One of the problems we frequently run into is that when our cat feels nauseated, he doesn't feel like eating. And the longer he goes without eating, the more nauseated he feels. So it can be a challenge to break that vicious cycle. Slippery elm bark syrup seems to work best to alleviate our cat's nausea, but there are lots of other options. C chris87 , you might ask your vet to see if he thinks your kitty might benefit from some kind of anti-nausea medication or herbal remedy.