Cat Training Tips

Joey's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have shared my home with cats for more than 45 yrs, mostly taken off the streets, after vetted, trained for socialization including introduction to toys. According the vet each cat was at least 3yrs old. It only took a couple of months for them to also learn they will be exclusively indoors. Perhaps it was easier because they were so happy to be rescued. Recently adopted 2 siblings raised as kittens from a foster. I did not know fosters work and don't devote as much time as shelter cats receive. Having difficult time training these 2 (male/female). I am not an expert but do believe learning/training begins in t he kitten state. I'm not saying these 2 didn't receive proper care, but not what's necessary to make them loving cats. They cannot be picked up, groomed, the female will sit on my lap occasionally, likes to be petted. The male cannot be petted, he will bite/scratch, will never sit on my lap. As far as behavior they are approx 1 yr old, doing what cats do at that young age. I believe the male didn't receive as much attention as the female. Any tips on how I can win over the male. It's almost 6 months. Never had this problem before. All my cats were loving, socialized, friendly, prior to these the last 2 were adopted from a shelter and they were the best of all, lived to 17 and 20, became best friends, never fought. These 2 fight all the time (I don't intervene) with loud screams. Anyone out there having/had the same problems I'm having with these 2. The rescue group has no interest, nor provides any info. Thanks, E laine

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Loud screams is troubling. Fur pulled out? Did you do a formal introduction process? Do you use any calming products?

I do have tips for winning over cats, but it is much tougher if a cat is stressed by hostilities with another cat, so getting this ratched down is step one imho. Since its been 6 months, its pretty clear they aren't progressing well on their own. Stable is good, and I guess they are stable (?) but stable + constantly stressed is not good for them and will make it tough to bond with them. So what can we do to help -- you can try a formal reintroduction with calming products like feliway.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be just their personalities, however, it also sounds like they may have been feral kittens who weren't caught and socialized early enough.

Since they fight all the time, I wonder if separating them and doing a re-introduction might help.

I'll post some TCS articles that might have some tips for you, including one on handling ferals.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
The Multi-cat Household

Handling Feral Cats

Cat Aggression Toward People
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
You, Your Cat And Stress
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

https://thecatsite.com/ams/14-cat-experts-reveal-how-to-get-a-cat-to-like-me.33883/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joey's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be just their personalities, however, it also sounds like they may have been feral kittens who weren't caught and socialized early enough.

Since they fight all the time, I wonder if separating them and doing a re-introduction might help.

I'll post some TCS articles that might have some tips for you, including one on handling ferals.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
The Multi-cat Household

Handling Feral Cats

Cat Aggression Toward People
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
You, Your Cat And Stress
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me

Joey's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the tips and your time. When our beloved pets cross over the Rainbow Bridge, we certainly don't adopt as a replacement but to give another a chance of a loving home. Like with humans, no two are alike and each has their own personalities, traits. According to the rescue group, the cats were found as newborn kittens, bottled fed, placed into foster. I thought adopting from a foster was a better choice thinking chances of disease among so many shelter cats is common. They are nice cats, but can be nicer. They don't fight over food/toys, the female sometimes grooms the male. Because I've had cats for so many yrs that doesn't make me an expert, but I do believe the male has a very independent nature, he has yet to rub against and claim me, petting has to be on his terms and for a very short period, and I'm convinced as kittens the female received more attention. Of all the cats I have shared my home with I have never come across one with the personality of this male. He's not mean, nasty. They were raised together, I think there will be problems if separated and reintroduced. The cat attacks are not to the point of blood shed, I don't intervene for concern they will think I prefer one over the other and that will create hostility towards each other. I will refer the list you sent and appreciate your time. Elaine

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If they are not hurting each other and seek each other out the fights are probably rough play. At 1yr they are still very young and full of energy. A great way to bond with an energetic cat is play. Teach him that his sister isn't the only fun one in the house. Include them in your daily chores. Shaken covers while making a bed are fun things to chase. Get him wand toys and he might enjoy fetch. My energizer kitty didn't start cuddling until he was 8 yrs but he's great fun and at 12 he's a big cuddler.

Joey's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If they are not hurting each other and seek each other out the fights are probably rough play. At 1yr they are still very young and full of energy. A great way to bond with an energetic cat is play. Teach him that his sister isn't the only fun one in the house. Include them in your daily chores. Shaken covers while making a bed are fun things to chase. Get him wand toys and he might enjoy fetch. My energizer kitty didn't start cuddling until he was 8 yrs but he's great fun and at 12 he's a big cuddler.

Joey's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your input and time. In addition to full range of the home, they have a room specifically designed for their comfort, same room all previous cats enjoyed. These 2 new additions spend a lot of time in the room which also has a window. They have comfortable access to other windows. Believe me, these cats live better than me!! I play with them, they have lots of toys. I try to pick up each one every day hoping they'd get used to it. I also tried for a few seconds grooming, I doubt that will ever be possible. They only understand the words "come on" that means it's feeding time, they go directly in their room and sit at the tray. They don't scratch the furniture, have plenty of scratching posts. There are a couple of good qualities. They will stay in the same room with me, I just hope the male will, someday, allow to be petted and both of them like to be picked up. Elaine