Cat Training Help

iloveprincess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a very hungry kitty that wakes me at 3 AM every morning. He is the persistent type and does not take no for an answer. He will "accidentally" throw things off my dresser/night stand, bang on doors, meow, paw at my face, etc., etc., demanding I feed him. I am a VERY light sleeper, so it is impossible to ignore him (his joints also click when he walks). I endure his noise-making until at least 3:45-4 AM, until I eventually give in and feed him downstairs. For Christmas I received an automatic feeder and was hoping this would be my solution to sleepless nights. However, since he associates me with feeding him, he won't go downstairs to check the feeder until I get up and walk him to his bowl. I have tried to get him to wait around the feeder so that he can watch it pop open and see that I am no longer feeding him, but the feeder's timer is not precise and he has yet to catch it open. I have had someone else call him to his feeder, but he doesn't know to go to it for food without someone placing him next to it. So far, I have still been walking him downstairs in the mornings/evenings, to show him there is already food there. Does anyone have any advice on how I can get him to harass his feeder and not me for food? It would be MUCH appreciated :)

Thank you!!

eharned

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had that problem when I first got my kitties, not at 4am though, more like 6, which was still to early for my liking. Anyway, at first I started giving them a little bit more dry food at night so they can graze (not to much) though out the night.

I also started feeding them a little bit later at night, like 7 or 8, so they would stay fuller longer.

They've learned pretty well that they won't get fed until I'm ready to feed them and they suck it up, but when they do bug me, I don't give in. After 10-15 mins, they go back to sleep until I'm ready to get up. 

Hope this helps! It took about a week for them to learn, but now its peaceful sleeping 9 out of 10 nights.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iloveprincess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice! I'm glad your kitties are allowing you to sleep more peacefully. I actually watched a TV show that recommended the same thing, which is to completely ignore them. I attempted that the other morning, but it seemed to escalate his noisiness, which disturbs the other people in the house (and hence me giving in). I am going to try it again and hope for the best! Thanks again 

eharned

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No problem! If you can find episodes online, i highly recommend watching My Cat From Hell! Although most cats arent that bad, theres a lot of good information. Jackson Galaxy is the cat trainer, his website also has a lot of awesome informarion, just google his name (i would post a link but im on my phone). Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iloveprincess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
YES, that is the exact show I was referring to (except he was a guest on a talk show taking questions from the audience). You know what's funny? I decided to ignore my kitty, but he ended up going downstairs to the feeder on his own this morning!! He did meow and wake me up around 6 AM, but it was after he found his food on his own :)

Thanks again for all the help and info! I love the "Cat from hell" show too (although my kitty is actually a sweet pea).

Love your two kitties!!

eharned

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's GREAT! Glad to hear that things are progressing! Keep it up and he will learn that when you will feed him when you get up!