Cat toys

PowderCat212

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all,

So Powder is a very playful kitty but we've run into a bit of a problem... it seems he's not interested in ANY of his more interactive toys right now. Feather on a stick, which used to entertain him for hours, is off the table. The cat dancer, another go-to, only holds his interest for a few minutes.

I've introduced two new toys--one being a feather boa on a stick and the other is, like, this fishing pole with a tiny fish on the end.

I've put away most of the toys, as I've heard to rotate them to keep interest, but is this common? Just trying to keep him active because we're in a small apartment in a big city... so physical fitness is important.

*He does still like to play chase sometimes, but only for a few minutes... any good toy suggestions?

kittyprincesss

Loving Mother of a Flower Petal
Adult Cat
Purraise
My girls get bored of their toys too. I use KitNip box! They send a wide variety of toys each month, like catnip filled ones, wands, mice that chirp, lots of different ones! I recently picked up some crinkle paper balls for my Ellie at Target for 1.99$ yesterday. She has been having a blast with them.

They look like this:
1643785342756.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PowderCat212

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah good to know re KitNip! That sounds like a service I could get into for certain!

I saw those at the pet store the other day and thought about it but wound up getting the boa on a stick instead! Will return tomorrow for the crinkle paper balls. Great idea!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does Powder have a kicker? Cats usually like those. You can tie a cord to it and drag it around for him to chase, or let him just beat it up on his own. He might also like a ping pong ball, especially in the bathtub. Sometimes, just a paper wad on a string, tied to a doorknob, will occupy them for quite a while.

Mine like the crinkly balls quite well, too.

Cats do lose interest in toys after a while, so what's going on with yours is normal.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All toys become boring over time, increasing alternatives and rotating is a great idea. but the cat also changes as he grows up. Their type of play and favorite activities may change. Minish lost interest in any kind of balls around age 1,no matter what I did. She now preferred stalking the feather wand toy and pouncing instead of leaping in the air. For hide and seek/tag, she started to wait long minutes before she reappeared from where she's hiding,just when I thought she was done playing. In short, alternate play styles as well, and try new things. Even if the cat doesn't play as much and seems to be not interested, it's still making them happy that we are trying to make them excited.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Neko-chan never liked feathers. She goes for the fuzzy tail attachment on her wand toy or a small stuffed animal that she can really sink her claws and teeth into. I found she will play longer if I let her really bite at the toy once she catches it. Then I gently tug it away and walk to another room before winding her up again. I have 5 different wand toys and use a different one every day. She's almost 3 and still plays daily.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Delilah never liked feathers, and doesn't like most poles either. She LOVES the little plastic springs and pipe cleaners. Fancy likes just about anything.

The WEIRDEST thing Delilah likes to play with is grass. Real (wave a blade in front of her and she'll chase and eat it) and fake (the first toy she went crazy for was actually some fake grass in a flower arrangement - after I caught her playing with it, I taped some to a dowel and she still loves it).

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats need lots of solo toys - like crinkle balls, cat springs, balls, catnip mice etc. Best is to start with one or two of as many different kinds as you can find and then watch to see what they really love to play with. Sometimes it is these purchased toys but it can also be a piece of crumpled paper, a q-tip or a bottle cap.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girls get bored of their toys too. I use KitNip box! They send a wide variety of toys each month, like catnip filled ones, wands, mice that chirp, lots of different ones! I recently picked up some crinkle paper balls for my Ellie at Target for 1.99$ yesterday. She has been having a blast with them.

They look like this: View attachment 409548
some of those dyed ones release ink(not sure if yours do but pet smart ones do for sure) when wet. i buy clear non dyed ones of amazon