Cat Toys With Feathers

Kgraham1511

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have read all the horror stories about cats eating string and feathers. And with his new information it is making finding toys for my 3 month old kitten difficult.

Would the feathers on this toy be a problem if my 3 month old kitte ate a feather off it or a strand of the feather?

Anyone have suggestions on toys he can play with alone?
Screenshot_20190729-132410_Chrome.jpg

Thanks

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't leave feathers for Krista to play with unsupervised. Toys I will leave out for her are catnip mice, crinkle balls without feathers, and kickers (tube shaped toys they can hold with their front paws while bunny kicking them with their back paws--a hunting/killing behavior cats enjoy in their play.) One thing my Krista still loves after 15 years is a shoestring tied to the back of a chair.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Sweetie isn't a kitten but he does enjoy playing with feather toys. He likes to lick the feathers and eventually they get really bedraggled looking and almost disappear but I don't think Sweetie actually eats them. There is a wide variety of toys that would safe for a kitten to play with alone, and you can always try buying just one feather toy to see how your kitten reacts to it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You need to see how your cat reacts to various toys. For us, feathers are great and are never eaten...I have even purchased feathers from Amazon for my cats. String of any sort is completely forbidden, as are any small tubular parts (like a Q Tip although my cats never see a Q Tip up close) because those are the ones that they want to swallow or put in their mouths.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kgraham1511

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your help! I will have to get a feather and see what happens.

He tends to bite whatever is near him when he gets really really excited. Hopefully that will go away as he gets older.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since he bites everything near him, you may want to avoid Mylar balls. The dye has been known to come off of them onto the cat. They are beautiful and fun, but still. I've read of some cats dropping them into their water bowls and the water changing color.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is one toy with feathers I will leave out for Krista because I have watched her interact with it hundreds of times. She's not interested in the feathers on this one. There's another feature of this toy that she loves to rub her head and face against. That gets all the attention. I could probably remove the feather piece and she wouldn't notice. Then there are a couple feather wand toys that she will fetch from their hiding places if given the chance. This is why they are secured away when we're not playing with them.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Something I have done in the past with kittens is to go to a craft store and purchase a couple of peacock feathers. I use them as interactive toys and then put them in the closet when we're finished playing with them.

kevintsh

Anya's Parent
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have read all the horror stories about cats eating string and feathers. And with his new information it is making finding toys for my 3 month old kitten difficult.

Would the feathers on this toy be a problem if my 3 month old kitte ate a feather off it or a strand of the feather?

Anyone have suggestions on toys he can play with alone?
View attachment 294330
Thanks
How about switch to laser light?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 4 feral cats (Shadow was taken to no kill shelter in hopes of being adopted). These cats have found feather that birds drop and brought to the door but have never made an attempt to eat them. Treasure likes sleeping with them in fact but that's about it. I wonder if it's personality of the cat.

I personally never use a laser toy. Not that I find it mean but these cats like staring directly into the beam and they all still come with a warning of causing blindness if looked at directly. I don't take that chance with them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kgraham1511

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! We have been playing with a feather toy under much supervision. He only bites down and doesn't try to eat it. But we will still only play with feather under supervision.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kitties adore their wand feather toy. Ody digs for it behind the couch cushions (where it hides between sessions). I have replaced the string with jewelry wire because Zyngi likes to chew on it and I don’t want him swallowing string. (The vet has looked at his teeth and there’s no damage from the wire.)