Cat toys question

korvia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was wondering, with cat toys does your cat have a toy box or do toys stay were they land? my kittens leave theirs in odd places that often get the toys broken, so I'm starting to think they need a toy box.

Edit: while we are at it your cat's favorite toy? My boys are all about squeaky things, the more noise it makes the better

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mogli's toys are supposed to be in a toy box (actually a wicker cat bed), but half of them are strewn around the house. I pick them up and put them in the toy box or in piles on the sofa, a chair, etc., but a couple of hours later they're all over the floor and under the furniture again. His very favorite toy is a little fur mouse with a bell inside that he can toss or carry around for a few days and then destroy. I usually buy two dozen at a time. He also enjoys Da Bird.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I have a basket for their toys. I rotate them out.. some toys are out on the floor for them, the rest in the basket. Then I switch them up every week or so. 

I don't know why I bother because they prefer to play with twist ties, hair bands and milk rings!

sarahliz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a small, shallow, fabric lined wicker basket I keep Chowder's in. He can easily get them out and play with them. I just pick them up once every couple days.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My ladies' toys are scattered from the back porch to the front wall. I tried putting them up once. They just started stealing stuff from my desk and shelves to play with.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All our toys are in baskets or boxes. I pick them up occasionally but they're usually on the floor within hours. One of my favorite pictures is of our cat Gracie pawing through the box, trying to decide which toy she wants to play with. You can almost her her thinking, "hmm, which one?"

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like to collect the toys from around the house a couple time a week, and put 80% in a basket on a shelf.  They seem to get bored of them, but appear to treat them as "new" if they have not been available for a week or so.  I then toss them out over time - then its empty.  Then I gather them up...rinse repeat...

Favorites:

Boo - is fond of plastic toys, she loves these: http://www.petstages.com/product-details/orkakat-wiggle-worm & the same company makes a little hollow mouse out of the same plastic.  There is a slit on the bottom - squeeze the toy and you can put a bell or treat in it.  I put a jingle bell in it - she loves it.  Don't know why the company omits it from their site.

But she also loves empty toilet paper rolls - talk about cheap!

Dexter - spent more time on the streets (adopted as a stray with no ID via Human Society) likes thing that are more like real prey: fur and feathers.  Anything with fur or feathers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

korvia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've found a box for the toys, picked them all up aside from a few mice and the boys have more fun play with the toy box then the toys.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We do use a toy box, because we like a certain level of neatness and we need (maybe spoil!) with so many toys they can't all be out at once!  There are certainly toys that need a rest for freshness, and toys that require a human.  And that's the fave toy for both cats - ANYTHING that has the human involved, and we have some fairly ridiculous games! Having said that, there are always a nice assortment out and about for their pleasure.

The toy box we use, we made from ikea furniture.  It's not really a box...um, it's also lovely furniture for the fur-kids!  Killing two birds with one stone!  THere are three levels to it in a 'staircase' shape, and we velcro-ed carpet on the surfaces (which they love).  The toys are stored in the sliding shelves, and we had a choice of different depths, which was great for different toys, including cardboard boxes and egg cartons and for folding up their tunnels and cubes for storing when we need a clear space - like with lots of visitors or on cleaning day.  Here's a picture of it - scroll down to 'What a Cat Needs - Part One' http://catstuff4aussies.weebly.com/3/category/new cat what stuff u need2c847f526b/1.html   We do now put away the 'DaBird' string and pole things in the linen cupboard just for safety.