Cat Top Eyelid Red And Swollen On One Eye

hisalweisu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I was just wondering what was wrong with my cat's eye. Only her left top eyelid is swollen and red but the other is fine. At times she can barely open her eyes (or maybe she's choosing not to?) and if she opens the swollen eye she blinks a lot from that eye but not the other. She's also been grooming/rubbing the spot. I just noticed that her eyelid was swollen today and was wondering if it was something I should go to the vet for right away or see if it would go away on its own. I researched that a warm compress would help relieve the discomfort if there was nothing in the eye and there seems to be nothing so would that help?
Thank you for your help!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Absolutely, yes, she should see a vet, and as soon as you can manage it. There are so many things that could cause this. Some are quite simple (something stuck under the lid, a bite from an insect or a bee sting, allergies), others, such as entropion (the eyelid turns in and the lashes scratch the cornea) may require surgery to correct. But no matter the cause, early diagnosis will give you a far better chance of a good recovery!

Let us know how that pretty girl is doing!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, eyes are too important to wait around with. May be an easy fix now, but if it gets worse it could be bad. I would have it checked as soon as possible.
Best of luck to her, and do keep us updated!

kflane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are there any updates? Our cat (6 month old kitten) seems to have the same symptom. We took him to the vet but she wasn't sure. He received two shots...an antibiotic and a steroid, and drops for over the eyes. That was a week ago and we haven't seen much, if any, improvement. I appreciate any insight. Thanks

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The original poster hasn't been on this site since sometime in June, so I don't know whether or not they will respond. You can start your own thread, and if possible include a pic of his eye. There are just so many possibilities. Is there any discharge from the eye? Is it swollen? I would certainly call the vet back and tell them that you are not seeing any improvement after a week.