Cat toothpaste

belle8bete

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, my Lady Harriet had her teeth cleaned recently, even though she only about 1.7 years old. She was on the streets before coming to me (with a litter) so I am not surprised she had gignivitus and such.

Anyway, the vet has asked me to start brushing her teeth, I know she doesn't care for I "invasive" moments of that sort, so I want to find a toothpaste she really likes...

Her favorite things are beef, chicken, or chicken and salmon.
I googled it and a number of things came up,

Does anyone have a brand they suggest in particular?

Thanks
Lindsay

sparklexo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just purchased CET toothpaste in beef flavor (kitty's favorite) and it seems to be going well! The first few times were a battle trying to get in her mouth at all, but I think she's getting used to it and not flipping out anymore. It's labeled for vet use, so I trust it more than some random pet toothpaste product from walmart or some place. I'm just using it on a q-tip right now to get her used to the idea/feeling, then when she's better about it I have a baby tooth brush I bought to use on her. But you can also find the CET toothpaste in a kit that comes with a brush :)

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I've used both CET and Petrodex for my cats. They seem to prefer the Petrodex malt flavor over the chicken or fish. Haven't tried beef flavor. It seems like the CET sample I picked up at the vet's said for both cats and dogs. The Petrodex sells one for cats and one for dogs. I haven't really looked at the dog formula to see if there's a difference.

sparklexo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to add, I've been 'brushing' for about a week and a half now (I say 'brushing' in quotes because its less brushing, and more stealthily smearing the product onto kitty's teeth.. she's still adjusting but hopefully as she gets used to it she'll sit better and let me actually brush!) but the bad kitty breath smell is pretty much gone! She's always had nasty breath since I got her, and after using the toothpaste, it must be working/killing bacteria in her mouth because I got kitty kisses today with barely any foul odor! So I don't think you can go wrong with starting to brush :) Good luck!

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am glad to hear you are having success! I've got a stinky breath kitty who does not enjoy procedures, so I figured brushing was out of the question. I'm going to try your smearing technique :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

belle8bete

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've ordered the toothpaste and brush for Lady Harriet (LH), and after it arrives I'll let you know how it goes.