Cat too fat and won't exercise

mr1992

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there,

we've got a problem with my mum's cat - as the title says already, she's fat and won't exercise. She's further on a special diet because of bladder stones and hardly gets any food. We presume she must have been in pain before (but those buggers have the habit of not showing it), so there's that; it's in our estimation unlikely that she's still in pain. There are no issues with diabetes or her thyroid. At any rate, she hardly ever moves around; most of the time she's going Garfield, lying on her blanket in my parents' office. The only exercise she gets is sometimes going downstairs into the living room. There, she (at a slow pace) checks out the place, sometimes walks away when the dog gets too excited trying to sniff her butt, though mostly she either lies under her cat tree, on the stairs, or on the couch.

Problems we've encountered getting her to exercise: She isn't playful; getting her to play with any toy happens once in a blue moon, she doesn't react to catnip, she simply sits down when trying to get her to move on a harness (she accepts it, but won't move), she doesn't steal any food, hence placing her bowl on a table won't do anything other than starve her (she CAN jump on and over stuff, she jumps onto the couch for instance - she just doesn't do it when it's not necessary), she doesn't come when you call her (she's certainly not deaf though).

She's so lazy, she won't even put up a fight when we pick her up; she tries to get away (then she even runs) but doesn't scratch or anything. She only complains through hissing and wiggles a bit. So, yeah, all advice on the internet we've encountered so far doesn't work that we can see. Bit of a headscratcher. Most of the time, she isn't afraid or anything when we try to get her to do something, simply plain annoyed and angered. She tends to take a dump then, so she is stressed but not to the point of being frantic or anything; that happens relatively quickly when you do something she doesn't like.

Looking forward to any replies :-)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest telling us how much of what brand she eats, how much she weighs, and if she has an average or large frame for a cat (i.e. Main Coon etc). My thought is that understanding exactly where she is at in terms of daily intake is an important first step.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mr1992

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your quick replies :-)

rubysmama rubysmama we don't know how old she is; she used to be a stray on a farm (badly cared for). I think estimates are~5 or 6 yrs old, so certainly not old, though that's a wild guess, albeit based on two vets' opinions. As to the exact level of obesity, I think it was almost a kilo too heavy. To put it into perspective, we've got a cat harness that should fit her well (we've got another cat, slightly bigger though slender, whom it fits well with lots of room to spare), and on the widest setting we hardly managed to get it on her. It has loosened a bit, so there is a bit of weight loss, but that's glacial rather than gradual.
Cheers for the link; I'd sought to address the points in my initial post - we've tried them and similar lists from other sites. One of the reasons I've decided to post in cat behaviour; playing with her is near impossible. She's got a rather big cat tree which she doesn't really use other than sitting underneath it. Electric mice she's just watched run away from her, feather toys she ignores, as she does a mouse on a string. She'd maybe swat it once or twice. She doesn't really want to go outside, no farther than the terrace anyway (on her own, with no-one moving). In an attempt to get her to move, we tried to walk her in the garden, though it was mostly just her jumping for cover or sitting still. That's how all our attempts at walking her have been like so far. Unfortunately, we must keep her separated from our other cat (my girlfriend's and mine) since they've got a fight club going as soon as they are together. The time we had them together she moved even less, preferring to sit in the cat litter negating the other cat access. That other cat's also on the other side of the extreme, this year almost starving herself to death and being a very picky eater.

A ArtNJ I don't know which food she gets right now; it's a special vet-approved diet thing for cats with bladder stones (dry food). The amount of food is the bare minimum she needs and is given on the package. I think we may even have gone underneath it. We've also fed her a raw diet with carefully calculated and mixed ingredients to best address it (measured with fine scales to the milligramme), though that's on hold right now because our other cat had issues with heartburn because of the raw meat, even when we cooked it. Needs some figuring out till we can resume that. I should add that my mum works for a vet so food changes and intake are also in agreement and after prior consultation with him. She's certainly not overfed; she doesn't get any treats, especially as those must not contain anything that could lead to the formation of bladder stones again. Also, she doesn't ever steal, which is weird to us as well. Put her food up on a table or not where she's fed (or specifically given to her), and she won't eat. The bag with her dry food is on the floor, meaning she could get to it at any time; same went for the treats when we'd still give her some. Makes you wonder how the hell she managed to survive whilst still a stray.
As to the frame, she's on the average to smaller side; she's further got short stubby legs and dense longish fur. The latter is giving her problems with grooming (as does her obesity) so we help her with that, to her dismay. Of course she's neutered but the problem with being overweight had been present before and wasn't worsened by it. Prior to being neutered (and while still a stray), she'd had a litter, though none of them survived.

My personal theory is that it's behaviour related. After the bladder stones were dealt with, she did become more active but not noticeably so that it'd help her weight much, just her being more, well, present and positively alert. Therefore, I personally rule out further pain (she did get pain killers for a while due to the infection that came along with the bladder stones; cessation didn't result in more inactivity). She's practically got an entire room to herself most of the time, though she doesn't make use of climbing either chairs or other things (or her cat tree in the living room). She's not afraid of either the dogs or us really, more unwilling to interact most times. Which is fine, just to add some context. The dogs leave her alone anyway, safe for our male dog who'd love to sniff her every once in a while. Though that's the exception rather than the rule; neither ever chases her or anything. The interaction is limited to stroking her on her blanket in the office (middle of the room); outside of that, she autistically refuses interaction, let alone play. There she lies most of the day, sometimes venturing onto the stairs to watch what's going on downstairs, in the morning or evening venturing downstairs, usually to lie by my mum on the couch. She can stroke her there. Frankly, it's a bit of an enigma.We know how to get fat horses and fat dogs into shape, addressing the cat properly is a bit elusive. Of course, this assessment is bar any other behaviour or health related issues we're not aware of.

Sorry for writing half a novel <.<

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As to the exact level of obesity, I think it was almost a kilo too heavy.
Depending on her frame, I guess that's not too much too overweight. At least not compared to the cat in this thread: Mickey, my 27 lbs foster and his journey back to a healthy weight

I don't know which food she gets right now; it's a special vet-approved diet thing for cats with bladder stones (dry food). The amount of food is the bare minimum she needs and is given on the package. I think we may even have gone underneath it.
I wonder if she's not eating enough? Like when a human diets so much that their body clings onto every calorie and no matter how little they eat, they don't lose weight.

I should add that my mum works for a vet so food changes and intake are also in agreement and after prior consultation with him. She's certainly not overfed; she doesn't get any treats, especially as those must not contain anything that could lead to the formation of bladder stones again.
It's good that you're consulting with the vet, however, I wonder if it would be better to feed her canned food. It's less calorie dense, plus the higher water content would likely be better for preventing bladder stones. Something to consider.

Sorry for writing half a novel <.<
Half a novel is good. Helps us to understand better all the factors involved.

mr1992

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, since she's rather small, I'd consider it quite too much. It's probably also aggravated by her fluff; she's far from being, let's say as voluminous as the cat in the other thread, but still sitting well above regular weight, and she's got trouble getting everywhere whilst grooming herself. Which isn't her favourite activity anyway but yeah, it's a problem. You're of course right regarding the dry food; it's only an interim solution anyway until we resume raw feeding. There, proper hydration is best addressed; quite a bit of water is added to ensure she gets the amount she needs. As to too severe dieting, it's an interesting thought though I'm unsure whether it's applicable here. We've made sure to reduce the portions gradually, i.e. first seeing whether there was an effect before reducing it further. It's also not as if she's without energy, or extremely tired. If it's at all comparable to malnourishment as such, we'd seen that in our other cat (Momo, might as well give the name) who was quite lethargic, but in a different way. There was no contentedness as she (Neko) exhibits - she feels well, just preferring to be rather static. That's of course only if these two are comparable; it doesn't feel as if she's underfed to me.

Perhaps to go back even further, since writing novels is luckily not an issue (my ability to keep things short is rather underdeveloped :D), when we got Neko, she was of an alright weight though she did have a bloated tummy because of worms and being post-pregnancy. So, any excessive weight she acquired occurred at our place. We didn't know about the bladder stone issue until the beginning of this year; we've had her for a bit over two years. Now, I don't know how those two things factor in; she had to deal with a scarce food situation (duh) outside and dogs chasing her. Though that's not too out of the ordinary for stray cats. I don't know much about cat psychology other than that when they've established routines and habits, it takes a while to break them. So, no idea how that factors in. It took Neko quite some time to be comfortable; in brief, we first had her with Momo in my girlfriend's and my flat (same house; top floor) - that turned into Fight Club. Then, she was with my parents and the dogs, first downstairs in the living room where she didn't move at all, then in the office, which is still her "safe room." Initially, she was scared though now she's just plain annoyed and happy to be left alone, i.e. not a very "social" cat. She does wander around and explore, but at a stroll; she doesn't take to playing or play herself. Perhaps that illustrates her general character a bit better.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, since she's rather small, I'd consider it quite too much. It's probably also aggravated by her fluff; she's far from being, let's say as voluminous as the cat in the other thread, but still sitting well above regular weight, and she's got trouble getting everywhere whilst grooming herself.
If she's having trouble grooming herself, then that does suggest her being heavier than she should be. Unless it's due to her fluff, as long haired cats do have more difficulty grooming their private areas. TCS even has an article on the topic! Be Kind To Your Cats' Behinds! Dirty Cat Butts Prevention And Treatment | TheCatSite

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For weight loss its as simple as getting rid of the dry and feed only wet food. Dry food is crap for cats, it's all carbs. Cats will never lose weight on it. Basically if you cant feel the ribs and the spine without pressing hard, she's overweight. If you cant feel it without really pressing hard then she's obese.
107808071_10158608448965127_5965040897716847827_o.jpg

mr1992

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama I think it's a combination of both, plus she is a bit lazy about it. For quite some time, all she ever cleaned was her feet - not because she doesn't get to the other parts, but for reasons unknown. She's since got better at it, but it requires a lot of shoving herself to the area to clean there. I.e. also a very unslippery surface, else she doesn't manage, though it IS funny to watch. So, yeah, we do take a comb to her regularly, which she thanks us for with growling and hissing^^
One more information I wasn't privy to, apparently she does have spurts of energy in the morning, though only by herself and very briefly. Apparently, she likes to actually run to and fro a bit right after greeting my mum after her first coffee.

cataholic07 cataholic07 well, she was on wet food, then on dry food. Then, for quite some time, we fed her a carefully measured raw diet (controlling all factors, i.e. what meat, water, supplements, etc.). That we stopped because of issues with our other cat that we'll solve; the current dry good situation is only an interim solution and not what she got most of the time. The initial weight gain was with wet food since that was the stuff she got when we first had her, for the longest time. I personally think it's rather the lack of movement, especially seeing the food situation.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, yeah, we do take a comb to her regularly, which she thanks us for with growling and hissing^^
LOL. Sounds about right. :catman:

One more information I wasn't privy to, apparently she does have spurts of energy in the morning, though only by herself and very briefly. Apparently, she likes to actually run to and fro a bit right after greeting my mum after her first coffee.
She really sounds rather normal, as most cats tend to sleep more than they "exercise".

Not really much exercise, but you could look into getting her a food puzzle which would at least give her a teeny bit of exercise.
food puzzles for cats - Google Search