Cat throws up after raw chicken

kitty2cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone else have a cat that will throw up after eating raw chicken but not cooked chicken or raw beef? If it were an allergy, I imagine that he would throw up after eating chicken cooked or raw. Chicken liver and chicken heart don't seem to bother him, just chicken muscle.

He has a history of eating too fast and throwing up, but it doesn't seem like he is eating the chicken very quickly at all.

Should I keep feeding him chicken? Is he throwing it up because he doesn't like it/isn't used to it or is it upsetting his stomach?

Thanks for helping get the cats transitioned to the raw diet. You all have been so helpful!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes ... that is when I had Kandie(RB) tested... YES animals can be allergic to raw but not cooked and vice versa of a meat

Do you know what the chicken ate? I have noticed my Zoey has issues with meats that eat grains she cant handle...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitty2cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sharky! You're so helpful! Ok. Chicken is off the menu for 1 cat.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can also throw up if they've swallowed pieces too large for their tummies to handle, if they eat too much at one time, or if they eat too fast after going without food for an extended period of time (~10+ hours).

My Rachel absolutely adores beef, but threw it up several times during the transition to raw. After watching her chow down one night, I realized she was so anxious to clear her plate that she was swallowing really large pieces.

I started cutting her beef chunks smaller for a while, and we've had no problems with it since. Well, she does tend to drift over to her slower-eating siblings' plates on beef mornings, but that's not really a problem for anyone but them, right?