Cat Throwing Up

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So yesterday our cat Dusty went outside (he is indoor outdoor in daylight hours only) he came in after not that long since it was very windy & let out a big meow then vomited. I noticed that he threw up grass (he did this the previous day) and some white foam on the second round. That was it no food was in the vomit then he ate treats later on in the night just fine & was acting like his normal self. In the middle of the night I heard vomiting & again it was Dusty I can’t find the first patch of vomit maybe nothing came out but the second spot I cleaned up was just that white foam. He was then fine hopped up on the bed for pets. This morning my husband fed them there wet food he said he really didn’t eat as much & then threw up but the food didn’t come up. He then wanted outside where he was acting normal but I did notice he was chewing on this fake plant I have on the porch. He also does eat rodents (I caught him with a chipmunk the other day but all that was left was a leg) there was been no other rodent eating just grass. I’m getting concerned about all the throwing up. With everything going on our vet is only saying come in unless it’s absolutely necessary. I don’t know what to do should we watch him for a day or call the vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update we just let Dusty he must’ve ate grass & he threw up again. He wanted back outside & isn’t laying around lethargic which I’m assuming is a good sign but he has no interest in food after throwing up which I guess would be normal

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Usually, few hours after vomiting, cat should not eat or drink.No interest in food for long is an warning sign.
Would it be possible to keep cat indoor day and night for a couple of days, to see what happens?

It is also possible for the cat to experience a condition with no relation to a toxic plant. So if she keeps vomiting every day, during her stay indoor, that may require vet assistance.

Is it possible to send to the vet a picture of voma?

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Usually, few hours after vomiting, cat should not eat or drink.No interest in food for long is an warning sign.
Would it be possible to keep cat indoor day and night for a couple of days, to see what happens?

It is also possible for the cat to experience a condition with no relation to a toxic plant. So if she keeps vomiting every day, during her stay indoor, that may require vet assistance.

Is it possible to send to the vet a picture of voma?
We can keep him indoors it’s raining pretty bad here anyway so he has no interest in going any further than the porch. He’s currently sleeping on the couch. He is acting normal I put his toy in front of him & he swats at it. His sister had her treat & he jumped up on the table for it but then just sniffed it & went back to the couch. He did eat a few little kibbles of food (maybe 4) that I brought over to him about an hour ago but that’s been it. No interest I going to the food or water dish.
The plant was a fake plant not real so I don’t believe that to be toxic I’m just worried it has caused a blockage. He hasn’t thrown up since this morning for me to take a picture of the vomit but I’m going to if he does vomit again (fingers crossed he doesn’t) Ugh I’m so worried especially since we are coming up to the weekend & the vet is closed. My husband doesn’t think we need to call the vet right now he wants to wait & see. I’m the worrier & want to go to the vet immediately.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat vomited after swallowing a cooked chicken bone. I didnt notice he ate it.
Since then, I cover the leftovers very carefully.

Can you confine him in a room, or somewhere, just to make sure she has no access to forbidden food?

If Dusty keeps refusing food for more than 12 hours in row - then I should definitely report to the vet.
Same, if he throws 3 times in 24 hrs.
Modification in behavior is also relevant.

I am very confident in female intuition- so if you believe it is better to visit the vet, then perhaps you are right.

If no vet available, a shelter professional may help you.

===

If no vet, no shelter helps, then:
- strictly guard Dusty not to eat or swallow something
- give him only high-grade food (better if you can find gastro diet)
- at least 3 hrs after vomiting (if unfortunately happens again), better 6 hrs, do not offer food nor water
- avoid stress (limit petting, no noise, no loud radio or TV) - that is to help her healing herself as much as possible
- have a closeup look to her teeth and her behind (screen him carefully ears-to-tail)
- sanitize the litter box, change the sand

===

Did you clean the floor by some new cleaning agent? Some are toxic to cats, even in small quantities.

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat vomited after swallowing a cooked chicken bone. I didnt notice he ate it.
Since then, I cover the leftovers very carefully.

Can you confine him in a room, or somewhere, just to make sure she has no access to forbidden food?

If Dusty keeps refusing food for more than 12 hours in row - then I should definitely report to the vet.
Same, if he throws 3 times in 24 hrs.
Modification in behavior is also relevant.

I am very confident in female intuition- so if you believe it is better to visit the vet, then perhaps you are right.

If no vet available, a shelter professional may help you.

===

If no vet, no shelter helps, then:
- strictly guard Dusty not to eat or swallow something
- give him only high-grade food (better if you can find gastro diet)
- at least 3 hrs after vomiting (if unfortunately happens again), better 6 hrs, do not offer food nor water
- avoid stress (limit petting, no noise, no loud radio or TV) - that is to help her healing herself as much as possible
- have a closeup look to her teeth and her behind (screen him carefully ears-to-tail)
- sanitize the litter box, change the sand

===

Did you clean the floor by some new cleaning agent? Some are toxic to cats, even in small quantities.
Oh geez a cooked chicken bone I would never think they would eat that. We had pasta last night & the dishes were washed after so I don’t think that was it. Every time he threw up I noticed grass in the vomit. The last time he threw up was at 12 since then nothing he was looking at birds through the window & climbing around the cat condo. He ended up eating a handful of food & so far has kept it down. He is now sleeping on the chair he was grooming himself, I looked at his gums & it looked good & his nose is cold & wet. I’m not sure if he maybe ate something outside that messed with his stomach or what. I haven’t used any new products I am very careful about that because one of our cats has allergies. I’m still keeping tabs on him because I haven’t seen him eat a full meal or drink water. If anymore throwing up happens I am going to call the vet because I want to make sure it’s not an obstruction in the intestines. I am so stressed about this my cats are everything to me!

dsnedeker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat was doing the same thing. We took him into the vet and had an xray done. He was completely backed up. So any food that he tried to eat couldn't stay down because he was all clogged up.
They gave him an enema and he was fine after that. They told us to give him miralax for the next week to complete the clean out. Then go to every other day.
His brother was doing the same thing, but in his enema it was 80% hair they said. Not surprising since his brother is a big time self groomer.
Have you seen your cat poop lately? If not then they might be clogged up.
We don't give miralax anymore but give them slippery elm bark instead. If a cat is constipated it will relieve that. If they have diarrhea it will fix that. So two benefits in one.

If you take them to the vet start with an xray.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pasta for dinner? Not good for cats.

Dont give him any medicine, unless a vet tell you.

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pasta for dinner? Not good for cats.

Dont give him any medicine, unless a vet tell you.
We had pasta for dinner not the cats. What I was saying was he couldn’t of licked or ate anything as we had put food then the dishes got washed. He seems to be fine now & I would never give my cats medicine without seeing a vet.

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cat was doing the same thing. We took him into the vet and had an xray done. He was completely backed up. So any food that he tried to eat couldn't stay down because he was all clogged up.
They gave him an enema and he was fine after that. They told us to give him miralax for the next week to complete the clean out. Then go to every other day.
His brother was doing the same thing, but in his enema it was 80% hair they said. Not surprising since his brother is a big time self groomer.
Have you seen your cat poop lately? If not then they might be clogged up.
We don't give miralax anymore but give them slippery elm bark instead. If a cat is constipated it will relieve that. If they have diarrhea it will fix that. So two benefits in one.

If you take them to the vet start with an xray.
He hasn’t thrown up since that day thank god! He seems to be eating as normal but I haven’t seen him poop. He likes to eat mice if you don’t catch him in enough time to take it away from him & he grooms himself plus his sister! So I’m sure he is full of hair. I’m going to give him this hair ball treat that I give his sister to see if that maybe helps him out. I’m also going to stalk him when he goes to the litter box to make sure he is pooping. We have 5 cats so it’s hard to keep track of which poop belongs to what cat but there has been no diarrhea. If anything I’ll get an xRay just for peace of mind although our vet doesn’t want us coming unless it’s an emergency so I’ll have to consult with her.