Cat Throwing Up

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have a 7 month old kitten. He is regularly dewormed and his poop is fine.

However a month ago he started randomly throwing up and I thought it's hairballs ( not sure but think looked like hairballs ). Then I started to brush his hair regularly and gave antihairball paste and that seem to stop it. However today I heard a loud yowl and when I went to check he threw up again - it was just liquid white yellowish. No hairball came after. He ate at least 6 hours before he threw up, and maybe 1 hour before that he was running around the house like crazy until he was breathing with mouth open. Could that upset his stomach? Or was he running around because he felt discomfort in the stomach? He also tends to chew on everything and might have eaten something he is not supposed to, but there was nothing in the vomit. Few minutes after he went to litter box, pooped and the poop was fine.

Now he is again running around like crazy and making grumpy meows.

Should I go to vet or wait for other symptoms? I checked him ( very lightly ) a month ago and the vet said he was healthy - but maybe he didn't check properly. Also this morning I noticed the cat had bad breath from the mouth.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If he doesn’t vomit again and is eating and pooping fine, I don’t think it’s an emergency, but it should be looked into. Talk to your vet again or get a second opinion. Vomiting, other than the occasional hairball, is not normal and needs to be investigated.

Good luck with your kitty. Let us know what happens.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may have a bug, something may be going on or not. Its really hard to tell. At his age running around like crazy isnt unusual, i dont think.

I would keep watch, and if he acts off or you notice anything different then yes i would go to the vet. If he continues to throw up, or you have any reason to think he ate something he should not have, then i would have a vet check. With cats it is very important to keep all things they could swallow, such as string, ribbon, hair bands, anything they could get in their mouth and swallow picked up. They will eat the oddest things.

This is one of those you will need to follow your instincts situations. If you think he has a problem, then get him checked. If you really dont, then just keep watch on his eating, litter box habits and such. If no issues then i wouldn't worry much over one throw up.

Best of luck, hopefully he is fine, keep us updated.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
until he was breathing with mouth open.
Does he usually do this, run around until he's breathing with his mouth open? and then running around with grumpy meows, is this usual for him?
Along with the bad breath, I think if it were me, I'd call the vet in the morning and see what they think. I'd be concerned that his tummy hurts, I think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does he usually do this, run around until he's breathing with his mouth open? and then running around with grumpy meows, is this usual for him?
That's relatively a recent thing. Maybe 4 times that it happened, all last month. I figured he's getting bored since I had to work longer recently, but maybe it's also from hot weather that he is getting out of breath. The only other thing I am doubting on is his dry food - since I give it rarely it's been a long time I had that dry food, maybe in hot weather it has gone bad, and I gave some today :frustrated:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be the food has gone off. A call to the vet is a good idea, but if you have had the food quite a while i would toss it out. buy some new, wet and dry?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could be the food has gone off. A call to the vet is a good idea, but if you have had the food quite a while i would toss it out. buy some new, wet and dry?
Will do that, already put an order for new food.