cat throwing up

zoethecat818

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 15 year old cat was just diagnosed with cat acne under her chin. There are several black and red bumps, she's been licking her paw and rubbing at it so there's pus. My vet prescribed Animax ointment and antibiotic pills along with cleaning her chin with a warm compress. We've also changed her food and water dishes to stainless steel (were glass). When I apply the dab of Animax, she will lick her paw and rub the chin then re-lick so she's digesting the ointment. She then throws up later and it's fairly violent and yellow. I'm not going to use the ointment anymore. She won't eat her food either. She's very quiet and worn out now. Has anyone had the Animax-throwing up problem with their cat?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, but if she's ingesting it, and wasn't throwing up before, I agree - I'd stop applying it.

I'd continue with the antibiotics and warm compresses, just keep those bowls really clean (glass shouldn't be a problem any more than stainless steel should be - maybe just wash all the dishes mutliple times a day instead of once a day. It's plastic that traps bacteria or causes allergies - not glass).

And maybe wash her chin with a mild soap and then use the warm compress.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Long ago when I had a cat with this condition, I used hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball to clean her chin, per vet's instructions.

The change to glass or stainless steel bowls, from plastic, seemed to clear up the problem.

However, she also overgroomed her belly. Eventually I figured out that she was allergic to turkey cat food. After keeping that (and human turkey) away from her, both conditions cleared up permanently.

So, the acne could be related to an allergy, or not.

Hope you figure it out. I wouldn't use the ointment anymore since she throws it up.

Robin

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never given Animax to any of my cats, so I have no experience with it. But if that is how your cat is reacting, you should stop using it, call your vet, so they can prescribe something else.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would stop that ointment. Keep up with the antibiotics (hopefully that is not making her sick) but if you stop the ointment and she is still throwing up it could be the medication.

Glass bowls shouldn't cause chin acne unless they are not cleaned well. Plastic harbor bacteria. Just wash the bowls after each feeding to help clear the prob. I only had one cat ever get this many years back and just switching to ceramic bowls solved the problem forever
. I used to wash the chin with warm cloth and mild soap and pat dry. Only have to do that for a few days until it starts to clear on its own.