Cat Throwing Up Yellow Bile

Dostoevsky1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

Let me first say that I have seen other posts about this subject, but I wasn't sure if it answered my problem. My one year old cat Luke started throwing up yellow bile last night before I went to work (I work nights at hotel). He isn't eating now, and has thrown up a couple times since I got home. He will still drink water, but doesn't want to touch food, not even his treats. About two months ago he had stopped eating and I took him to the vet. $824 later, he started eating again and was getting healthy. He just appeared to be sick at that time.

So fast forward to today, and he just suddenly started throwing up last night and has thrown up a couple times since I got home. He still needs to be neutered and get up on his shots, but the vet told me to take some time before doing that because last time I took him in he had gotten really skinny and wasn't eating (but he wasn't throwing up that time), and the vet wanted him to get better before that. He did get better, but now he's lethargic, throwing up, not eating, but he will drink water. He's a really fluffy cat who sheds a lot. He won't meow now either. It's Sunday so the vets are closed where I am.

I also have to say that in the past couple months I've had to deal with my mom not eating due to her Alzheimer's which has been getting a lot worse, and we had to get her a nurse to take care of her. This has taken a good bit of my time because she can't feed herself, or even remember to take showers. Now I have the cat getting sick again and I'm not sure if I can wait and see for the cat.

Sorry if this is rambling, but any suggestions or advice would be helpful. The cat really makes her happy and gives her something to spend time with because my brother and I work weird, long hours.

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am assuming the vet took xray and blood panel and found nothing? Urine and fecal sample? Treated for parasites? Prescribe antibiotics? Prescribe a special diet? Is he pooping and peeing ok?

There can be a lot of reasons. There is a lot online about possible causes of feline vomiting. He may need consistent brushing if it's hairballs, but his symptoms sounds sudden and severe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dostoevsky1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep, and x-ray was done, antibiotics were given, blood work, all of that. He actually ate yesterday in the morning, and then at night around 8pm I heard some coughing kind of sound. I walked out of my room to see what it was and there was yellow throw up on the floor. The throw up appears to be in long lines, like maybe it is projectile or he is moving a lot while he is throwing up. I cleaned up the mess, and tried to give him treats downstairs after I went out of the house for an hour, just to see of he would eat. He at them last night, and then I had to head to work at 9:30pm for an 11-7am shift. Got home today and found a throw up spot downstairs and upstairs in my mom's room. I cleaned those up, and then he threw up again in the hall.

I took his water and food away this morning just to see if that is maybe upsetting his stomach a bit, because I read online that giving them water can upset the stomach more if they are throwing up and it's hairball related. The last time I went to the vet they didn't find anything blocking his passages, gave him some heartworm medicine (which he has been given before when I took him as a kitten), and kept him overnight.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright::alright: Oh my, you have your hands full. Here is an online article about vomiting in cats - it may give you some clues. Meanwhile, I would restrict him to broth only -the best is homemade by boiling chicken with salt and baking soda added to the water, to help increase electrolyte replacement. Also, unflavored Pedialyte is better than plain water for electrolyte replacement as well as much-needed calories. If you cannot buy some, you can use the recipe from www.kitten-rescue.
Feline Vomiting
Prayers and vibes for your kitty - and for your mom and her devoted kids. Bless you being their guardian. (Some of us here belong to Caregiver Nation on FaceBook). :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats have had mysterious GI issues. One was diagnosed with IBD or IBS by ruling out common causes and monitoring symptoms including vomiting. For him, he drank a lot of water, had dehydration issues, and he perked up when rehydrated. The other cat is on a special diet to verify his food intolerances after we ruled out other common causes. He started with rare vomiting of bile and chronic diarrhea.

The vet can sell prescription diet to see if that helps, such as Hills ID, to see if it's a dietary issue. The colititis might take a few days to clear up. Dehydration and anorexia can be dangerous.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dostoevsky1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice/kind words everyone. So about halfway through the day yesterday my cat stopped throwing up. He mainly laid around for the rest of the night and seemed tired (probably from spending most of the previous night throwing up).

Today, after I got up, I didn't find any new throw up and he appeared to be getting up to walk around more. He got himself some water and even ate a couple treats. I gave him half of a can of food, and he ate that - then he started to meow again and I gave him the other half which he ate. He's started to meow more like he normally does, and follow me around wanting to be pet.

I decided I might not need to take him to to the vet and I'm going to sit and watch (due to the cost of getting x-rays and test done). If he starts throwing up again and not eating, I'll promptly take him, but I'm guessing he may have had a hairball.