Cat Throwing Up White Flem

Scat Man

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Male, 6 years old about 16 pounds, just started last night. He has did it three times. Anyone have any ideas?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you changed his food abrutly? Are you feeding canned or dry? Is he pooping?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scat Man

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you changed his food abrutly? Are you feeding canned or dry? Is he pooping?
No. No food change. He eats a mix of dry and canned....Have not seen him go to the litter box but then it just started late last night and has not been 24 hours yet.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In my experience, white phlegm is an upset tummy or an empty tummy between feedings. Is he eating okay?

Scat Man

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In my experience, white phlegm is an upset tummy or an empty tummy between feedings. Is he eating okay?
I think so...Point is I do not really know....Have not seen him go to the food today..The vet said to watch him for 24 hours and if it gets worse bring him in...But they also said the same thing you did, upset stomach etc....

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried offering him any canned food, just a tespoon or so? That might let you know if he's capable of eating and keeping it down.

katocats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of our cats did this and it was an upset tummy vet gave her a jab for it.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't be running to the Vet if he were here.......first, I'd want to know for sure what's going in and what's coming out.

The only way in a multi-cat household to determine this is to segregate him with food, water and litterbox. Period.

Then, you'll have more (maybe enough) information on which to take the next step.

I'd also be giving him a dose of hairball gel/paste.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try offering him a small amount of wet food and see if he will eat it. I would also keep an eye on his litter box habits too. You could also try to see if he is willing to drink water. I also agree that this could be signs of a tummy ache. If he is unwilling to eat/drink then I would take him to the vet. My 12 year old female Starbuck came down with the kitty equivalent to human stomach flu. She could not keep down food or water. The vet gave her an injection for nausea to settle her stomach. She resumed eating pretty quickly after the injection. If it does not look like he is going to the bathroom please mention that too when you take him to the vet. I hope this is something simple to fix like it was for my Starbuck. I am a multi-cat household too but I saw she was puking immediately after trying to eat or drink. She was also puking white flem or yellow bile once the food/water was out of her system.

Scat Man

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well thanks everyone for all the informational replies first off..I carried him to the Vet today...They believe his symptoms are related to the asthma that he has....They gave him a cortisone shot, something for nausea and some fluids because he was dehydrated.