Cat Throwing Up, Stopped Eating/peeing/pooping, Just Sitting Still All The Time

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has not experienced anything unpleasant while eating, to my best knowledge.
I believe it was Cyproheptadine that the vet gave her yesterday, before we tried to offer the special food for her. But it didn't help at the moment, I thought maybe because she was really stressed being at the vet clinic and constantly trying to find a way to go back in her carrier.
I don't know how long the effect from that medicine stays because later in the evening she did show a little interest in the food I put out for her. I first tried the Restoration food which she ignored completely. Then I tried a really expensive wet food I know she normally loves, at first she ignored that too, but then she came back and smelled it and put her head in the bowl, but didn't eat anything.
I will ask the vet about Mirtazapine.

Yes, that is exactly how last night ended, I wrapped her up and force fed her through the syringe. Today when I woke up there was a small pile of food thrown up (looked like mostly dry food), but I don't know if that was her as I have an older male cat who has a problem with eating too much and too fast, which *sometimes* results in throwing up.

She is now hiding under the sofa and acting lazy again, sitting with her eyes closed, like she was before the last vet visit. :-( Maybe that shot they fed her to make her not feel sick to her stomach is wearing off, or maybe she is just scared after she was force fed. I don't know.
It's time to force feed her now, because she is completely refusing to eat anything whatsoever. :-(

Thank you!
Yeah, regurging is fairly normal for cats, especially when they bolt their food like my male does sometimes. I HOPE it was your male who puked!
And *PRAYERS* continue. May there be good news soon, H heep80 .

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

heep80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Felovite or fortiflora? Felovite will help with the nutrients and you can put it on her paw or nose and she can lick it off or offer it on her hands or something.
I looked these up but unfortunately they don't sell Felovite in my country. They do sell Fortiflora. Can that also be put on the paw/nose?

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I looked these up but unfortunately they don't sell Felovite in my country. They do sell Fortiflora. Can that also be put on the paw/nose?
Fortiflora is a powder, so I would say no. It's usually sprinkled on top of food. It's sometimes called "kitty crack." My cat used to like it years ago. Then, after she got ill, she stopped liking it. I recently tried again and she's acting like it's "kitty crack" again. She licks it off her wet food, but she's a grazer, so it might be helping her eat a little more wet food later on.

I really hope your cat starts eating and is back to normal soon. :vibes:

heep80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a little update and I need some more advice.
She's still being force fed, but she has started to show small attempts of eating on her own. Yesterday she licked in her food for a few seconds, and then later that day she ate 2 of the 4 cat treats I offered her.
Today, just minutes before typing this, she actually *ate* a few bites of her wet food. At least it's an improvement. She has also pooped (albeit very little, imagine a miniature rabbit poop). So it appears as if she's starting to come around somewhat, but here's my current dilemma:

I am worried that continuing to force feed her will keep her from starting to fully eat on her own again.
Besides, this cat is used to eating not very much (she's always been that way, and she's a very small cat anyway), so if we're force feeding her twice a day, there might not be much room in her belly to eat food on her own. Plus, she might somehow become discouraged to eat if she's force fed every day.
So in one way I'd like to stop force feeding her, to see if she will eat on her own if she gets really hungry. But at the same time, I'm worried she will become dehydrated or not enough energy to even move around if I stop the force feeding.
Should I not stop it completely, just cut down on it? We have been feeding her 20 cc's of the Restorative prescription diet mixed with water, twice daily. Last night, I just fed her 10 cc's for her night meal, in the hopes that she might become a little extra hungry by the morning and then eat. Is that a good idea? Now that she just ate a couple bites of her wet food on her own, should I just leave her alone until tonight, and not force feed her anything at all this morning? Or feed her 10 cc's instead of 20, like I did last night?
Or should I just force her to drink water, to keep her from becoming dehydrated.
She is quite lazy still, but it has gotten warmer the last 2 days, about 90 degrees outdoor and 85 indoors, so that might be adding to her laziness.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always took things day by day when I was force feeding because my cat Mika hated being force fed. So I would offer food, see if she was even interested. If she smelled it, but didn't eat, I would stir it up or break small chunks and offer to her on the floor. If she didn't eat anything or only licked bits I would give her 20 minutes. Then I would force feed if nothing happened. However, I noticed that more I force fed her, the more she wanted to eat on her own the next day.

Do not let her go the whole day without eating and don't let her skip meals. But I would give her time to check things out and eat. Towards the end, I was leaving out different foods for the day for her to eat and then force feeding at the end of the night to supplement whatever she didn't eat in calories that day.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried to use KMR or Goats Milk. If you are syringe feeding this may be something to try. If she is drinking water these are liquid nutrition.

I agree with everyone else that the key here is to get food in her every day.

Do you know which medicine the vet used for nausea? There are a couple of different medicines given by injection for nausea for humans. I get migraines and have had to have nausea injections. The ones that work for me are Zofran or Reglan. I am not sure if these are available for medicines for cats. But this may be something to ask your vet. Reglan stopped severe vomiting I was having due to a bad reaction to an injectable pain medication.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Zofran and Reglan are both available for cats, though I think most vets prefer Cerenia. The injectable form is the best.

Reglan is not an antiemetic; it helps move things along the GI tract, which is why it works well with nausea caused by drugs that slow down the gut, such as opioids.

I’m glad she’s eating, if only a little. Has your cat maintained her weight with the force feeding? It’s important she doesn’t lose any more.

Thank you for the updates and I hope she continues to get better!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a little update and I need some more advice.
She's still being force fed, but she has started to show small attempts of eating on her own. Yesterday she licked in her food for a few seconds, and then later that day she ate 2 of the 4 cat treats I offered her.
Today, just minutes before typing this, she actually *ate* a few bites of her wet food. At least it's an improvement. She has also pooped (albeit very little, imagine a miniature rabbit poop). So it appears as if she's starting to come around somewhat, but here's my current dilemma:

I am worried that continuing to force feed her will keep her from starting to fully eat on her own again.
Besides, this cat is used to eating not very much (she's always been that way, and she's a very small cat anyway), so if we're force feeding her twice a day, there might not be much room in her belly to eat food on her own. Plus, she might somehow become discouraged to eat if she's force fed every day.
So in one way I'd like to stop force feeding her, to see if she will eat on her own if she gets really hungry. But at the same time, I'm worried she will become dehydrated or not enough energy to even move around if I stop the force feeding.
Should I not stop it completely, just cut down on it? We have been feeding her 20 cc's of the Restorative prescription diet mixed with water, twice daily. Last night, I just fed her 10 cc's for her night meal, in the hopes that she might become a little extra hungry by the morning and then eat. Is that a good idea? Now that she just ate a couple bites of her wet food on her own, should I just leave her alone until tonight, and not force feed her anything at all this morning? Or feed her 10 cc's instead of 20, like I did last night?
Or should I just force her to drink water, to keep her from becoming dehydrated.
She is quite lazy still, but it has gotten warmer the last 2 days, about 90 degrees outdoor and 85 indoors, so that might be adding to her laziness.
H heep80 , VERY good news that she is eating and eliminating, even if just small amounts on both! And I agree with the posters before me -- you've kind of answered your own question there, IMHO, because if you are feeding her AND she is eating on her own, you are definitely on the right track! The most important thing is to get nourishment and liquids into her system on a regular basis. The KMR idea is a good one; there are also liquid nutrient supports that can be gotten from your vet or probably at a lot of "pet" supply stores, or on drsfostersmith.com (delivered to your door, $19 and above in sales gets free shipping if you're in the US). Clinicare is one I'm familiar with. Or, your can puree her regular food in a blender or food processor and either feed it to her in a bowl or syringe feed her. You can combine this with water to make a slurry. Keep up the GREAT work! *And you're right about the heat possibly being a factor -- my cats often "food strike" when it's hot. But they do drink a good amount of water, both from their cat fountain and from stationery bowls; and I monitor them to see that they DO eat, even if not their regular ration when it's very hot.*

heep80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for you continued support and replies!
I've followed your advices and she has gotten the full syringe dose today. She nibbled on some of her favorite dry food this evening, but we're talking one or two pieces then stopped. So she's still not eating on her own but all I can do is keep hoping things will turn around soon.
This cat's weight peaked at 3 kilos a few years ago, but recent years she's been slightly below that. She has not dropped any more since the vet visit.
Unfortunately I don't know what the anti-nausea injection was but she got one shot at each vet visit. Next time I speak to the vet I can ask exactly what it was called.
I looked up KMR and they do sell it in my country so I will order it and try that. I searched on Goats Milk and I see some evaporated powder, is that the one? Which is better, KMR or goat milk.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for you continued support and replies!
I've followed your advices and she has gotten the full syringe dose today. She nibbled on some of her favorite dry food this evening, but we're talking one or two pieces then stopped. So she's still not eating on her own but all I can do is keep hoping things will turn around soon.
This cat's weight peaked at 3 kilos a few years ago, but recent years she's been slightly below that. She has not dropped any more since the vet visit.
Unfortunately I don't know what the anti-nausea injection was but she got one shot at each vet visit. Next time I speak to the vet I can ask exactly what it was called.
I looked up KMR and they do sell it in my country so I will order it and try that. I searched on Goats Milk and I see some evaporated powder, is that the one? Which is better, KMR or goat milk.
3k is a small cat, but there are little females who are optimum at that weight.
KMR is definely better, because it's formulated specifically for cats. Cats need a specific set of nutrients, just like we do, but it's different for cats than for us, or for dogs, because cats are obligate carnivores (top of the food chain meat eaters) while dogs are omnivores (meat and/or other foods) and we are, depending on whom you ask, omnivores or vegetarians (our teeth and our alimentary system is vegetarian, but of course a lot of people disagree). KMR is milk designed for kittens, who grow fast and need mega-nutrients and mega-calories for proper development. This little cat needs those things, too.

When my Sun was diagnosed with dry-form FIP, he got regular injections of B-12 and Immunoregulin. One, or both, of these might help your cat. You may want to ask your vet. Even though your cat does not have FIP (I pray!) she does need help with her appetite. FIP is feline infectious peritonitis, and it means the peritoneum is infected, so the cat needs help in eating.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she is doing a little better now so perhaps recovering. I know my cats never liked the Hill's prescription foods and refused to eat them. Have you tried another food? I know you said she was a picky eater.
It might just be a virus of some sort.
I hope you get this solved soon.

heep80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I always thought this cat was so skinny and underweight, but the vet who examined her said that for her size she is just right.
The vet in town only carries Hill's brand. She used to like it. She seems to like it OK now too, she just doesn't have an appetite or will to eat on her own.
As for her regular cat food, I have tried just about every brand on the market, she hates most of them including the expensive ones. This cat is very strange, she doesn't even like people food. My other cats will go crazy over beef, tuna, etc. The only wet foods she likes or tollerate are two different ones both by Purina; one of them is a soupy like kind in very expensive small pouches. She seems to like that one better, so that is what I've been offering her now that I'm trying to get her interested in eating on her own again.
I have ordered KMR now, expedited shipping so it will arrive tomorrow.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I always thought this cat was so skinny and underweight, but the vet who examined her said that for her size she is just right.
The vet in town only carries Hill's brand. She used to like it. She seems to like it OK now too, she just doesn't have an appetite or will to eat on her own.
As for her regular cat food, I have tried just about every brand on the market, she hates most of them including the expensive ones. This cat is very strange, she doesn't even like people food. My other cats will go crazy over beef, tuna, etc. The only wet foods she likes or tollerate are two different ones both by Purina; one of them is a soupy like kind in very expensive small pouches. She seems to like that one better, so that is what I've been offering her now that I'm trying to get her interested in eating on her own again.
I have ordered KMR now, expedited shipping so it will arrive tomorrow.
If you are in US, you can choose from a huge variety of excellent foods on drsfostersmith.com and if you spend $19 or over, it ships free to your location. Also if you sign up for auto-delivery on your schedule, you get discounts. They carry Purina foods. We like Drs Foster & Smith's own brand called Country Classics chicken with carrot and sweet potato. It comes in gravy and is extremely well loved by my three! Also, Soulistic makes different formulas in gravy including a chicken, a salmon, and blends. Also very much loved by my three! I've never bought pouches, only tins.

heep80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have good news, she has finally started to eat again.
She is not completely restored, but the last day or so I have seen so much improvement in her. Today she ate her regular wet food on her own. I'm still feeding her a little bit of the prescription diet in the syringe and also a bit of KMR, but I will start to slow down soon it if she keeps her appetite up and continue to eat. :clapcat::happycat::whiskers:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have good news, she has finally started to eat again.
She is not completely restored, but the last day or so I have seen so much improvement in her. Today she ate her regular wet food on her own. I'm still feeding her a little bit of the prescription diet in the syringe and also a bit of KMR, but I will start to slow down soon it if she keeps her appetite up and continue to eat. :clapcat::happycat::whiskers:
What wonderful news!!! All the best to her, and to you, and please keep us updated, won't you? Sometimes we don't know why these things happen, like I wrote about my beloved Rani angel not eating for three days and then she was back to normal. But we are so grateful for their eating again!!!:petcat:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I'm still feeding her a little bit of the prescription diet in the syringe and also a bit of KMR, but I will start to slow down soon it if she keeps her appetite up and continue to eat.
Hi! Do you have a baby scale? Or a bathroom scale where you can weigh yourself, then weigh yourself while holding the cat and subtract for the difference which will be her weight?
You don't want to begin slowing down too soon, you need her to start gaining weight first :)

heep80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I am keeping an eye on her weight. So far she is still the same as she was at the vet's office. I actually think she might have been getting more food into her stomach while she's been force fed. I basically followed the vet's orders on the amounts to feed her per day, but it seems it was maybe even a wee bit more food compared to what she's used to eating. She has always eaten like a bird since she was a kitten.
I guess it will remain a mystery what was wrong with her. She was just so lazy and feeling nauseous while she was food striking, but I suppose main thing is that she is getting better. Today she acts normal and not lazy. I'll keep updating her progress.