Cat Throwing Up Lactulose Immediately

Kemara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About six months ago, my cat was severely blocked. Took him to the vet who did a full clean out and put him on lactulose - 4 ml. every 4 hours. They also told me to switch him to just wet food. I worked out that "gravy" style Fancy Feast was best with a little water added and Nimmy hasn't needed the lactulose in months. Last week, they were out of that style of food, so I got the pate. I've been mincing it up and adding water.

This morning he's constipated. He was fine when he got up. I fed him as usual, and he ate a bit. The next thing I know, he comes over to me crying and smelling of poop. I gave him a dose of lactulose which he swallowed but threw up immediately. He hates the stuff and always tries to throw it up.

He's straining in the litter box but only the liquid is coming out. Since he was fine until just now, I think if I can get some lactulose in him he'll be OK.

Can I go ahead and give him another dose now? What if he throws it up as well? I need to be at work before another four hours goes by. And I don't have the time to run him to the vet - or the $700 it cost last time.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure if you can give another dose right away. I would err on the side of caution and just skip giving more lactulose.

Ask the vet about compounding the lactulose into a chew treat or other form. That would be easier and less messy to give than the liquid. Any compounding pharmacy should be able to do this. Or ask the vet to order from Wedgewood Pharmacy: Lactulose Medication & Information for Animals, Wedgewood Pet RX, Wedgewood Pet RX

Can your cat take Miralax? That helps with constipation. Check with your vet. It's easy to mix into canned food. Just dissolve the dose in some water first to rehydrate it and then mix into food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kemara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. The lactulose is VERY messy and Nimmy fights the syringe - I think he hates the taste. I tried putting it in his food, but he could smell it. The vet didn't mention Miralax, but it sounds like it might be a better option. They open at 8:30 and I'll call them then.

I just checked and the dosage is every 8-12 hours, so I'll ask if, since he threw up that first dose, if I can go ahead and give him another. I'm afraid if he goes all day like this it might get worse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kemara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I gave him another dose of lactulose and it stayed down less than five minutes. My vet is closed even though they're supposed to be open right now.