Cat Throwing Up In Litter Box And Eating Possible Litter

nishalp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been throwing up on occasion. She is a very stressed kitty. Only 6 months. Very attached to us. If we go out for 2 hours or more or we deviate from some schedule, she gets highly stressed. So on occasion she will go into her litter box and throw up. She is pooping, eating and peeing just fine. Plays fine. My concern is I have the Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra Clumping Cat Litter (Dust Free) and when throwing up, she tries to re-eat her food which winds up getting litter in there. I have seen her once with litter on her chin after throwing up. I dont think she does this often but should I be concerned with the litter? What is recommended?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! just to ask, you've had her in to the vet?

You could try transitioning to some pellet litter and see how that goes.

Also, I was going to suggest a couple of things;
Can you obtain chamomile tea from the bags (not loose leaf) and give her up to three tablespoons a couple times a day in water or food? It can be quite helpful in calming cats.

Music is known to help relax kitties as well, and so if you could try some low volume classical harp music, the app Relax My Cat, kusc.org or MusicForCats especially when you're away, you should find that she isn't quite as stressed and anxious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nishalp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi thanks for the info. Yep, she has been to the vet for all her vaccines and checkups. All healthy :). I usually try to get the TV on specifically with Winne the Pooh or Bambi on. She loves those for some odd reason. Maybe the sounds.

I went ahead and ordered the Pine Pellet Litter which seems to be well rated from Arm and Hammer. New litter box coming also as I think she is outgrowing the one I have.

Will try out the tea. That sounds like a good idea. I tried the calming sprays buy they dont really work or the collar as well.

Any thoughts on the Calming plugins?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
About the plugins, my Big Fella was unaffected by the feliway that one of his vets was sending around their clinic in the air conditioning.
Time goes on and I had visitors with little kids coming, which is a major stress trigger for him so I ordered a feliway diffuser. I didn't know about amazon's third party fake product issues, and I didn't look for other brands at that time although there's thunderease and sentry and likely more now.
Anyway, what I received was Comfort Zone (the product still had feliway in the labelling then).
Long story short, the Comfort Zone works better for him LOL

It's hard to know because every cat is so different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nishalp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great. Thanks for the info. I might try that. Dont like her to get so stressed. Hoping she will grow out of it and its just cause she is hyper and wants to play and see people all the time.

I feel your and his pain with the kids. Have a family that has a boy that is hyper. She has no issues with anyone and plays with anyone including a thief I am sure if one showed up in the house. But the little kid runs and screams looking for her and she burrows under the couch...

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats also will eat litter for nutrients..I think it's the clay that has it. So maybe probiotic or the missing link will help