Cat throwing up dry food

Kennethkeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At first I thought it was a hairball, but examining it it's the same exact color as her food. I've tried all I could do to get my cat to eat wet food but she simply always goes for dry food.

The cat seems fine afterwards however making normal meows and puurs so I'm unsure if it's killing her or simply not being digested quick enough and the body rejecting it. I'm also not sure if it's lack of wet food but if theres any other advice or brands i should try for wet food for picky eaters I'd like to know.

I feed my cat meowmix and always make sure there's plenty of water.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Without going into the whole dry food vs other foods debate, Meow Mix just isn't a good brand to feed. I would slowly change the food to a better brand and include more canned food in the diet. You can ask on the Nutrition forum for suggestions on brands to try that are affordable. Most pet stores these days have a good selection of good quality foods with few fillers and junk ingredients.

How old is the cat? If it's senior age, a trip to the vet wouldn't be a bad idea to rue out any gastrointestinal issue.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with feeding a better food that is affordable and you could also add a little wet food mixed in with some dry and gradually increase wet and decreased dry. Try a small amount to start invade he won't eat it with wet food in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kennethkeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Without going into the whole dry food vs other foods debate, Meow Mix just isn't a good brand to feed. I would slowly change the food to a better brand and include more canned food in the diet. You can ask on the Nutrition forum for suggestions on brands to try that are affordable. Most pet stores these days have a good selection of good quality foods with few fillers and junk ingredients.

How old is the cat? If it's senior age, a trip to the vet wouldn't be a bad idea to rue out any gastrointestinal issue.
About a couple years old now. Any dry food recommendations?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I personally like the Nature's Variety Instinct brand, For Cats | Instinct Pet Food If you search around the TCS nutrition forum, you'll find other brands that are often suggested: Dr. Elsey's, Taste Of The Wild, Orijen, etc.

Rawz is a very good brand but expensive and only sold at independent pet stores and a few authorized web sites, Where to Buy | RAWZ

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat throwing up 3-5 times a month (after I put him on the sensitive stomach formula) was Dante’s first sign of his chicken allergy. I missed it. I vote take him to the vet and try a dry food she recommends. Plus have her look for signs of allergies, just in case.

Look for a dry food without chicken, wheat or corn in it. I would avoid fish to if your cat shows any kind of reaction to fish.