Cat throwing up all and everything food for week;drinks water,still playing around some

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have not posted in a 4 days but each day i am reading each word of every post as well as looking into advice,ideas.

I am in Sort of a wait and see.
She's eating,but still just nipping away at food, sometimes alot. Seems hungry.
I cant get the pills into her, she has never been a cat that likes to be held and for a pill--just is not going to happen especially with just person trying
Tried Putting crushed/powdered pills in her food,,,she decides she does not want to eat at that particular time. . The pills get wasted.
She is a very energetic cat and still showing that all though this, what ever is going on.
I am positive her body language is a major key: She tends to lay straight forward, face forward/looking forward,jaw flat on the floor. Like a dog waiting at a door for someone to come home.

As i mention, i am in a wait and see.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
from VCA (TRUNCATED):
" What are the clinical signs of pancreatitis and how is it diagnosed?
The most common clinical signs include nausea, vomiting, fever, lethargy, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and decreased appetite. If the attack is severe, acute shock or death may occur.
How is pancreatitis diagnosed?
Laboratory tests usually reveal an elevated white blood cell count"
CREDIT, SOURCE : Pancreatitis in Cats

My cat:
cant tell if nauseated. vomits occasionally throughout her 9 years--once a week is normal/abnornal. Not lethargic. No diarrhea. Has an appetite. She had blood tests and came back normal. She noticeably gained weight the past 2-3 months

Last edited:

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She has been laying like this alot lately.
In Dog language i believe that means they may miss/waiting for someone to come home.. 3 months ago, She did lose her companion cat of 8 years. I dont believe it is an emotional stance for her but absolutely a 'key' to what is going on.

Attachments

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is a test specifically for checking for pancreatitis - Idexx Labs Spec-FPL (specific feline pancreatic lipase). You might discuss that with your vet to find out if they think it is worthy of doing.

In so far as her meds - have you tried every last one of the suggestions/ideas you have been given in the posts above? It is always best to find another medium to give meds in rather than food, unless you just serve a tiny bit of food with the meds in order not to wonder whether or not the meds ever get eaten. You might waste some meds in the trial and error process, but you can tell that to the vet and they can prescribe more as needed. I am not saying that she does or does not need the meds, but the vet wanted to try them, so it would be best if you could accommodate that.

Whatever happened with the McDonalds nuggets to see if that would 'jump start' her eating more?

Aside from that, it sounds like she isn't doing terribly bad - correct? How long after her companion died did this 'moping' start? Even if not right away, once she recognized her buddy wasn't coming back might be when it started. I do tend to think that there is some mourning that might just be going on. And, tbh, after 8 years, 3 months is probably not long enough for it to pass on its own.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
RE: From paper plates to McNuggets to baby food...everything in between i have tried.
Going to bring her to the vet again next week and at least ask for more tests.
Yes, the meds were to possibly target an unseen cause. Going to re try giving her a regiment of the pills
During her 9 years, i had been busy/very preoccupied with the health care of my 2 other cats during their senior years., 17 and 19(both passed).

To sum it up: For the past month and continuing, she eats for about 10 seconds,then stops. She eats like this throughout the day and night. So she gets food down, allows her to be her energetic self,running around,etc Yes, She "isn't doing terribly bad" but something physical is wrong with her stopping to eat after 10 seconds. I am going though alot of cat food as i toss food out after about 4 hours being out.
As i was typing this post, she was eating some Fancy Feast wet cat food for more than 10 seconds which looked good...then went around the corner to choke a tad.

She is pretty much stable other than what ever is causing her not to eat alot at one sitting. She is asking (meowing) for food more often--give some to her, she eats, maybe 3-10seconds. Always has fresh dry cat food available she will nibble on.
Of course what ever is her issue needs to be identified.

Last edited:

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Short story to the above:
She is not starving but consistently hungry around the clock due to only being able to eat 10-20 seconds at a time. My significant other who handles the litter box, she says the litter box 'shows' she is eating.
To find out why she is only eating 5-20 seconds at a time is what needs to be determined.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To find out why she is only eating 5-20 seconds at a time is what needs to be determined.
So, for all the issues she was having earlier, you have two 'open' issues remaining? 1.) moping (mourning) and 2.) eating food in small sessions amounting to less than 20 seconds apiece. Correct?

I still believe the former is related to the loss of her buddy. If her eating in such small amounts of time started after her initial 'illness', it is possible that she still doesn't feel back to normal, or she correlates her foods with being sick before and pretty much lost interest in them.

Feeby eats in little spurts - a bite or two then maybe a bit of time later she will take another bite or two, and so on. It kind of has been her MO nearly since she started eating canned food - more so with some flavors of food than others. There are days when it might take her 4-5 hours - or even longer - to eat a 3 oz can of food. It is frustrating, but as long as she is eating sufficiently, I have learned to live with it.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you could get a cat bag. I understand it works for some people, did not work for us, the cat was too big for it, maybe. I had to take him in every day for the vet to pill. He was one of three cats over the years that I could not pill.

This is important and may help. When you get your cat in the bag or wrapped in the towel, put her stomach down before opening her mouth and shoving the pill in. This tends to work better than doing it holding them like a human baby. I think it's easier for them to swallow right side up, just like you only feed kittens stomach down, back up.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's still eating a tad then stops. Plenty of energy.
BUT for the 2nd time in 2 weeks , she threw up a hairball-----in 9 years i cant recall her throwing up a hairball. Shorthair hair cat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's still eating a tad then stops. Plenty of energy.
BUT for the 2nd time in 2 weeks , she threw up a hairball-----in 9 years i cant recall her throwing up a hairball. Shorthair hair cat.
If she is over grooming, that could be at least part of the reason. Feeby has rarely thrown up hairballs - all these years, I thought it was because of the Temptations Hairball Control treats I feed her on a daily basis, and maybe it was. But, she is over grooming now that we have been fighting fleas for way too long, and she is more prone to throw up hair.

Digestion can play a role in it as well, so you can't rule that out either. Her eating less and/or her system changing as she ages might be a factor in her not being able to process hair as well through her system.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my cats have thrown up hairballs on a fairly regular basis, particularly in the spring and summer (no a/c) This was normal grooming for the change in the weather. You can look for a hairball supplement, some people buy hairball control food, we never did, or add a touch of oil to their food.

Keep things that are hard to clean - shoes - off the floor. Cats like to hide their vomit/hairballs to avoid attracting predators.

After a year or so, you'll find the hacking sound will wake you from a deep sleep so you can find the place.

To clean carpet - pick up hair ball, scrub the place with a rough paper towel and plain water, let the area dry. This has always worked for me.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just an update
I am at a standstill---if that is correct word. About 7 weeks now going like this:
My cat is still eating only about 15-30 seconds. Stops. Often tries to bury the food. Often i find her laying flat down crouched forward, jaws flat on the floor----sort of like when dogs will lay flat down looking at a door,waiting for someone to come home. My cat lost her companion cat recently but i am convinced the new way of laying down is not about missing another cat.
Good god she is full of energy,running around 100mh.
But still, kinda wating for the next shoe to drop of what is going on.
So i am at a standstill and have not abandon this thread