Cat throwing up all and everything food for week;drinks water,still playing around some

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 9 year old cat has always thrown up food,once a weekish?
This past week, noticing she is throwing up all and everything we give to her, her regular cat food for years(FancyFeat dry and the dollar FF wet packet ones). Also. her occasionally food, Reveal simple ingredients cat food which she likes, but tossing that one up now.
Started yesterday with cat food for sensitive stomach food---started eating but found she is tossing that one up
Physically, notice she has been sitting forward, crouched somewhat,with her mouth and jaw flat on the floor.

A vet trip is coming Monday----100 miles to another vet for sooner,
She's drinking water, believe she is getting some food in her, but hungry. She is NOT showing being in a state of withdrawn from life.
With the hot weather---i have one part of my house with AC,another with no AC. So she can freely chose which one to be in

What should i be thinking as what health ailment may be going on?
(i self describe myself as having a slightly above average experience with cat health issues )

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. There could be any number of issues going on, so I am glad to hear you have her scheduled for a vet visit - just wish it were sooner.

In the meantime, try giving her some baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2) and see if she can hold it down. It isn't a complete meal for cats, but it is better than her not eating, or throwing up most everything she eats. You might also get some A/D recovery food from the vet and see if she can keep that down. Have you tried boiled chicken in case she might be able to eat that without getting sick?

Can you call and see if your vet can notify you if there is a cancellation that would enable you to get her in to be checked out sooner?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd second either getting yourself on a list for cancelled appointments or calling the vets office two hours after opening to see if they had any cancels. Make sure they know she can't keep food down. Cats can hide their illness until it's progressed fairly far so they can appear to suddenly turn quickly. My Moms cat last summer did that where he was fairly normal, slightly off to critical within 48 hours. I knew something was wrong at slightly off and similarly had an appointment set up for a few days out. Luckily, I have a good relationship with his vet and she knows if I say emergency I mean *emergency* and she got him in. He ended up being hospitalized for over a week and we still aren't 100% sure on what happened.

It really could be anything in your case. Blockage would be my first inclination but it could also be food sensitivities hit a tipping point and he absolutely can't eat whatever was causing minor issues before. I'd agree with seeing if the baby food will stay down to keep him eating and getting liquid in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for reply.
I am working to get her in sooner than her appointment on Monday
I live in an area with an extremely low numbers of vets; ratio: about one vet for about 20,000 people? I have an excellent vet but the overwhelming number of people versus vets is ..a crisis? If crisis is the right word.

Going to buy the Gerber Stage 2 meat food suggestion.
Next time i read the posts, i should have returned from the store with some

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat seemed normal this afternoon, running around, playing toss and chase the play mouse.
Has come up to me, doing cat twirl and brushing games.
I know cats can hide illness and even play some when they are ill/iunder the weather.
Put down some wet Fancy Feast packet food, her favorite, she licks up the gravy/juice for about 30 seconds ,then leaves.

I bought this for my cat. There was no Stage 2, meat only variety at the store i went to.
Is this safe for a cat?
Beech-Nut Chicken & Chicken Broth
Stage 1: for babies 4 months and up
chicken & chicken broth jar

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, that food is perfect! Some companies it's stage 2, others it's stage 1.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like that fact it has broth. I have read so many good health things about broth.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update
my cat's litter box shows activity..as in maybe near normal use, perhaps.
I have tried many types and forms of wet and dry cat food, gravy cat food to get her to eat more than a couple of licks...than tries to bury the food. Tried Her favorite food of years, sensitive stomach food,baby food
Drinking water
She is still running around,playing with her toy mouses---but something health wise is going on and not going away on its on. Pretty sure she is hungry/

Body language hints?: She is doing alot of sitting with her face forward,face and jaw flat on the floor---Which i believe is a major hint of what is going on.
3 days til a vet visit. Going to try to get her in today, Nearest other vet available is 100 miles away

EDIT-
If it is a blockage? Is Surgery the only possible treatment? Or can meds do it in some cases?

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she is using her litterbox near normally, I am not sure why you would be worried about a blockage. And, if there were to be one, until it is known what could be causing it you can't automatically assume surgery is the only option. If she can drink water and not throw it up, that is a good sign against it being a blockage, IMO.

Playing but then sitting as you describe seem incongruous. Are there particular times when she sits like that vs. when she is playing?

I hope you are able to get her into the vet earlier than the scheduled visit, but in the meantime take a look at this TCS article about getting a cat to eat, just in case it mentions something you haven't yet tried. You can also consider Kentucky Fried Chicken, or whatever equivalent you have - it seems to work for a lot of folks to get their cats eating again. The other thing to try, is using a paper plate rather than her regular bowls/dishes. Not sure why it works, but many cats who are not wanting to eat will for some reason resume eating off of a paper plate.

Is she eating at all? If she does, is she throwing it up?
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – TheCatSite Articles

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she is using her litterbox near normally, I am not sure why you would be worried about a blockage. And, if there were to be one, until it is known what could be causing it you can't automatically assume surgery is the only option. If she can drink water and not throw it up, that is a good sign against it being a blockage, IMO.

Playing but then sitting as you describe seem incongruous. Are there particular times when she sits like that vs. when she is playing?

I hope you are able to get her into the vet earlier than the scheduled visit, but in the meantime take a look at this TCS article about getting a cat to eat, just in case it mentions something you haven't yet tried. You can also consider Kentucky Fried Chicken, or whatever equivalent you have - it seems to work for a lot of folks to get their cats eating again. The other thing to try, is using a paper plate rather than her regular bowls/dishes. Not sure why it works, but many cats who are not wanting to eat will for some reason resume eating off of a paper plate.

Is she eating at all? If she does, is she throwing it up?
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – TheCatSite Articles
Just got back from a vet visit------more good news than not. I am gonna post as sooner as my nerves calm down from getting her in this morning and grasp what was said done, out come.
To reply to some of your Qs and concerns,she was using her litter box but i dont handle it and did not know what is normal use,
Funny you mention KFC chicken. She likes McDonalds nuggets so gonna pick some up
Her plates and bowls for food? Normally i wash them mostly in hot hot hot water--and 2 or 3 times. I am was washing them now 5 or 6 times to make sure they are clean---overkill but wanted to make sure plate contain mention was not an issue. Almost never using soap. Have not tried giving her food on paper plates--going to give it a try.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Friday morning,first minute the vet opened,they were able to see her--although they were very busy.
Her Blood work came back normal. Not lumps or anything could be seen in throat area.
So unknown exactly what is causing her not to eat more than 2 or 3 licks of food at at time,,,,still drinking water
She was given antibiotics and steroids'

Today, still not eating much--trying all new every food possible. She takes lick or 2,then tried to bury it
Full of energy; running around, lovely and such, but not eating food and body language is a telltale,

Giving her pills--- extremely difficult. I have not been successful. Granted, i had another cat with a thyroid issue that i gave over 3000 pills over 6 years. Never had an issue. I wish i could hire someone locally who is a pill giver expect to come by.
Guess the towel-wrap is the way to go?

EDIT:
Quick thought after i posted. Could my cat have a smell issue?--
That is for what ever reason her sense of smell is not working well all of a sudden, so she cant smell food as well so she wont eat it?

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The Beechnut baby food wasn't to her liking? It is another way to give meds. As long as the pills can be crushed up, they can be mixed with the baby food. There are a number of other pill 'hiding' options -
1.) tuna or chicken canned in water - some of the 'juice' to mix with the pill for lapping it up, and maybe get her to eat some of the tuna or chicken afterward.
2.) lickable treats - such as Tiki Cat Stix, Vitakraft, Wholehearted, Applaws, and Inaba Churu - just to name a few.
3.) Tiki Cat Mousse (this one is a complete meal, not a treat).

Did you try the McDonald's Nuggets? What about boiled chicken pureed with some broths added to it - two that Feeby like are Simply Nourish and Delectables Bisque. Both of them are smooth (no chunks of food and both are good to add to food for extra flavoring and to make the food a bit more 'mushy/soupy'.

Is she still throwing up?

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
RE She is no longer throwing up.
The baby food, she should took 2 licks then stopped. Still have more on standy
Have not picked up nuggets, yet.
Salmon is her favorite food favorite...bought some human salmon--no bones BUT double checked. Real strong sense of salmon, she ate the most at one sitting i have seen in weeks.

She is not mopping around , demanding petting attention with that cat smile as i type now

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So getting her meds is helping already?

One thing about flat plates (like paper plates) is their whiskers do not touch. Their whiskers do touch on most bowls. Sometimes that bothers them when they eat.

At 9, she likely had a senior blood panel.
Do you know if an IDEXX SDMA test was added as an early detector of kidney disease. It can pick it up a couple years earlier.
Do you know if a SPEC fPL was included to help detect pancreatitis earlier?

I am glad to hear that her Vet looked for throat, teeth and under tongue symptoms
If the vomiting continues or recur, sometimes describing to her vet as frothy, or just runny can help them consider if it is digestive fluids or not (mostly water after drinking).

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In answer to your question about it being her sense of smell, it's unusual, but not unheard of. Try warming up a very stinky cat food, which would be some variety of fish. Salmon is good, but unless it is catfood, it isn't 100% nutritionally complete for her. But by warming it up it helps bring out the stinkiness of the food.

As far as getting pills into her, you can also try crushing them up into a powder, then mixing that powder with jut a tiny bit of cat food and then put that into her mouth (rub on her back teeth, something like that. she won't have any choice but to swallow it. Follow up with a nice tasty treat, even a small piece of human salmon if that's what it takes so she doesn't associate it with something bad when you have to do this. Here's a thread showing exactly what I'm talking about: How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill

Catwoman1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try seeing if she will drink the broth of beef chicken ect if she will crush the pill put in the broth my 1 yr old cat would not touch her food and would refuse to eat it if it was not salmon type or fish type she would rather starve then eat any of the others she won’t eat dry food unless salmon flavored and she won’t eat dry food with wet food has to be separate the water bowl has to be in a certain spot or she will not touch it cats can be very picky if she will eat that salmon try getting the salmon wet food only and the salmon dry food I feed my cat meow mix dry food salmon selects and fancy feast salmon pate or grilled she really loves the salmon in the pouch that we eat to make sandwiches she will not touch the beef chicken turkey has to be all fish idk why but that’s what she likes and salmon makes their fur so beautiful as well

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had it soooo easy giving pills to my other cat (passed at 18)with hyperthyroidism,2x a day for 6 years. Cat would go to the counter 2x a day at routine pill time,waiting for the pill.
This cat is an extreme struggle as many/most people with cats would know.

Going to try the crushed pill to a power in a tad of gravy cat food. She only takes 1-3,maybe 4 licks--should be able to get it done. Hopefully. Maybe.
Incidentally, she threw up a hairball this morning, about a quarter size. As a shorthaired cat, Have never seen her throw up a hairball.

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
RE She is no longer throwing up.
The baby food, she should took 2 licks then stopped. Still have more on standy
Have not picked up nuggets, yet.
Salmon is her favorite food favorite...bought some human salmon--no bones BUT double checked. Real strong sense of salmon, she ate the most at one sitting i have seen in weeks.

She is not mopping around , demanding petting attention with that cat smile as i type now
Could she have pancreatitis? I have a 9 year old cat that (just recently) was diagnosed with pancreatitis. She wasn't eating & she was losing weight.