Cat Throwing Up After Eating Grass

Kyashasu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,
So I have already tried a search on the forums for this, but didn't find anything. I haven't looked in articles yet though. I have to go to work soon. But my cat, Aria, loves being outside. Normally she eats the grass and has been fine. there are not any fertilizers that no know of since it is the backyard. She would usually only grow up once every four months maybe. It was not often enough where I became concerned, but it was usually bc of grass.

Lately though I have been letting her outside and she will eat some grass and then once inside throw up twice bc of inch long, two inch long blades of grass that she ate. Usually it is the wider grass, crab grass?

I have looked this up before but wanted others opinions on this site. I am not going to let her eat the grass outside for now and am growing her some which I will cut small and give her as treats.

Should I be concerned? The bile has been light brown followed by the grass. It is usually no more than ten minutes after she has eaten it. I know they sometimes do it to throw up something but also to get nutrients from it. At least that is what I remember.

Thanks for taking the time reading. I have enjoyed this site very much.

Here is Aria in one of the windows this morning next to the grass I am growing her.

Attachments

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All I know is that every time we take one of our cats outside and they eat grass they throw it up afterward. We don't use chemicals on our lawn so it's not that. I hope you get a more expert answer!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats like to nibble on grass, but it's been my experience that it just causes them to throw up.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We actually grow cat-friendly grasses in little containers for our indoor kitties to nibble on in case they get an upset tummy. IIRC, the vet said cats lack the necessary enzymes to digest grass, and sometimes when they feel sick, they instinctively look for grass to eat to help them puke up something in their digestive tract that's making them feel queasy, like little bits of fur from grooming. I guess that would make sense, because when I find hacked up wads of grass and bile, there's usually some loosely organized hair in there somewhere.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kyashasu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmmk thank you everyone for the replies. I am growing wheat grass for her so that should be good. Quite possibly fireballs though I haven't seen any it is usually only bile and the grass lately. Haha, the auto correct changed it to fireballs...instead of fur. I will keep an eye on it and try not to worry as much! Thanks again everyone!