Cat Threw Up Right After Eating?

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. My cat threw up her food lik 5 minutes after eating it.

She didn’t eat anything different and was her usual self all day. Upon closer observation there was like a piece of hairball (a half inch clump) mixed in with the food.

This has not happened before, but I’m not sure what to make of it. Is this something that needs a vet care pronto, or is it something to just keep an eye on?

I should mention she has hacked up hairballs before but never like this with all her meal with it so I’m just a bit alarmed!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it is a one off occurrence and she is otherwise behaving normally, it's most likely a wait and see thing. It could be a hairball or she ate too fast.

For the hairball chance, you could get hairball gel or canned pumpkin puree (no spices or seasoning just pumpkin and water, not pie filling!) to help move things along. Pumpkin just mix a teaspoon in at each meal for a few days.

Of course, check with your vet if she shows any other signs of illness like lethargic behavior, potty problems or concerning changes. But a one off throw up is fairly common.

animallover07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It almost sounds like the hairball gagged her and when she gagged it up up the food just happened to pop up with it because she had just ate and everything. I don't think it's any cause for alarm.