Cat Third Eyelid showing

shumi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I just need someone to make sure that my cat isn't dying just yet.

She's not been eating for almost 3 days. She just hides and not come out even when called. I think she's also coughing. Her third eyelid is also showing. She's 7 yrs old.

Is she just ill? And will she get better once I put her to the vet? Thank you :(

Kayseymac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would get her to the vet ASAP. Not eating for 2 days for cats is a medical emergency. When their 3 eyelid is showing it be as simple as they don’t feel good or it could indicate something else. The only way to know is to get kitty to a vet. I would do it sooner rather than later.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Yes, a vet visit is in order. I doubt it is time to think she is dying; she just may need some meds to help make her feel better.

If she is not drinking water, they may also give her sub-Q fluids to help with hydration while she is in their office. Most vets usually carry a recovery food - typically Hill's Restorative Care A/D canned food, that for some reason cats seem to like.

But, to start off now - try giving her some baby food meat; Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut. A lot of cats will eat these even when they don't feel like eating their own food. You could also oral syringe some unflavored Pedialyte in between her cheek and tongue (a very small amount at a time) to help with her electrolytes.

Use a tongue depressor or similar item - even place some on your finger - to get her to lick the baby food/A/D care if she won't take it from a dish or plate. It could help to jump start her to eat again.

Let us know what the vet says!

Last edited: