Cat that eats Bread??

vickie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Strange as it may seem, one of my two gorgeous Birman furbabies eats bread!

The first time I noticed this, was when I left some bread pieces on our rear decking for the birds to eat. I went out there a few minutes later and all the bread was gone, and not a bird in sight! Thought this was a little odd.

It has now progressed to the point that we cannot leave bread on our kitchen bench, as the cat will eat it (she is not allowed on the bench by the way). Seems irrelevant if it is wrapped in plastic, as she will just rip through it and start munching on the loaf. It is also unwise to leave sandwiches unattended as they too will be eaten. She seems to eat all varieties of bread, not fussy if it's white or grain, sliced or unsliced!

I have eliminated the possibility of any other animals having eaten the bread, and have caught her in the act a few times.

Is her bread-eating bad for her? How do I stop her doing it?
She is a well-fed and otherwise socially well adjusted cat. Our other Birman doesn't display this odd behaviour.

Help!
Vickie

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As an occasional treat, bread is fine. As long as she is eating cat food she should be okay.

One of my cats also likes to eat bread, but we give her only a tiny amount as an occasional treat.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have heard of a cat that does the same thing, attacks bread through the wrapper. The cat is a Turkish Angora and the owner has resorted to using a bread box to keep the bread out of the cat's paws. Occassionally it should be fine, but not as a steady diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vickie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hissy a breadbox is a great idea! Now if only I can find one with a big sign that says NO ENTRY on the front...

Glad to hear that her bread eating is not bad for her. She eats normally other than bread. Maybe from now on I should offer her a bread roll with her meals? (kidding!)

Thanks for the answers, am relieved to hear that my furbaby is not alone in her bizarre behaviour.

Vickie

oava

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I too have a cat that will eat right threw the wrapper to get to the bread, if his cat dish becomes empty,Newman. So we put the bread where he can't find it.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Long ago I kept my bread on top of the refrigerator on a placemat to keep it away from the dogs (placemat to keep the heat of the fridge away from the bread). One day, I witnessed one of my early feral rescues (Little Mom) on top of the fridge with a keen interest in the bread - chased her off and didn't think much of it until I noticed teeth marks on the wrapper. A few weeks later, I saw her jump up again, this time she undershot her target, hit the placemat, grabbed it with both paws as it slid off the top of the fridge. On her way down, she hit her head on the countertop and managed to dislocate her jaw.

She recovered well from her emergency surgery, and my bread is stored in the microwave oven ever since.

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a cat who would do that with plain what is called "old Fashioned" donuts , now I have a kitty who seems to have a weakness for potato chips she goes out of her way to snatch the kids chips
we hav wayz of dealing wiff thiz lol

abby7625

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats eat bread also. I bought one of those cheap rubbermaid boxes with the snap top lid. They cant get to the bread (try as they may) and it keeps a loaf of bread super fresh for weeks..a double plus!

rbg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sure ours would, but they just haven't had the opportunity...yet.
They love our pancakes and waffles that we make out of fresh ground buckwheat and oats.
They also like salad, especially our female. She hears me tearing up lettuce and comes running for some. Then she waits patiently for some carrots, at least for a little while. Our dog also likes vegies and waits alongside both cats. It's pretty cute.

grapegal45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On My Gosh!!!!! I thought my cat was the only one in the whole wide world that chewed holes in bread wrappers! I see I am not alone. LOL!!! Nothing is safe with my Wallace around. If a cupboard is accidently left open he's in there. One day, I opened the cupboard right above my counter and behold....there was a cat! I even found a bag of lentils strewn over the whole bottom of the cupboard recently as my dear Wallace destoyed the bag. Yes, he does love bread and chews holes in them, or anything else that has to do with food, whenever he can. We do our best....but there are those times we laspse and our fine and fun Wallace is right there to do his thing. :-) We love him lots, anyway. He is a charmer despite it all.

blossom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat literally tears up the wrapper and eats the bread through it. I can't leave it out or it will be eaten! I don't have a breadbox but I have to keep the loaf in the microwave! Funny this should come up, because tonight she ate one of those pecan spin rolls! I couldn't believe it!

uabassoon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat Corkscrew LOVES bread. His favorite is banana bread, he also really enjoys pancakes. If I'm eating warm pancakes he will beg until I give him a little piece of it.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Twig will rip the wrapper to get at the breadm so now we either keep it in the fridge, microwave or in a tupperware bread container we just got. Now he will just bug us if we have a sandwich. LOL! silly cat!

vickie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Had to laugh at the responses, I am so pleased that my cat is not alone in her bread eating.

Since yesterday I also discovered that she eats custard scrolls. I had one on the bench with a cup of tea, went to answer the phone and when I got back after about 5 minutes custard scroll was gone and tea cup was empty.

I knew who the culprit was as she had custard all over her whiskers. Busted!

She has been a tea drinker since she was a kitten.

Nothing is sacred in our house!
Vickie

a_loveless_gem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bread eating?

Ever heard of bread stealing? Russell will steal bread and "hide" it under my computer chair.

Our housemate will occasionally leave bread on the table or kitchen counter. It inevitably goes missing. If I'm home I'll put it away in the fridge. (Bread goes mouldy if you leave it out of the fridge where I live. I don't know why, I just know it does.)

Russell will tear the plastic/paper bag open and nibble at the bread during the night or day. And when caught? Well he simply meows as if to say, "It was there."

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat loves my homemade wheat bread. I only give her a very small piece or two and usually she's satified with that. Last weekend, she jumped onto the kitchen table and started to cover the bread that was on my plate!! Funny girl.

oava

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Vickie
Had to laugh at the responses, I am so pleased that my cat is not alone in her bread eating.

Since yesterday I also discovered that she eats custard scrolls. I had one on the bench with a cup of tea, went to answer the phone and when I got back after about 5 minutes custard scroll was gone and tea cup was empty.

I knew who the culprit was as she had custard all over her whiskers. Busted!

She has been a tea drinker since she was a kitten.

Nothing is sacred in our house!
Vickie
Hi Vicki, may I ask what is custard scrolls? Are they little pies? It sounds interesting, whatever it is. Ava

vickie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi oava,

Custard scrolls are a sweet pastry that is rolled with custard in between. It is fairly sweet and I'm sure it is full of fat and other bad things!

My Birman furbaby didn't seem to mind though!
Vickie

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I had to laugh when I saw this thread. JC loves bread, homemade cake, and waffles, so we have to be very careful where things are kept. I have a big Tupperware breadbox, and that is kept inside one of the kitchen cabinets that has a very tight door. My mother-in-law is a terrific baker, and sometimes she overdoes it (makes 3 or 4 cakes because they're expecting company). One time she dropped by with four pieces of cake for us, and used her key when she discovered we weren't home. She left the cake, tightly wrapped in aluminum foil, on the kitchen table. When we got home, we discovered that JC had eaten all but a few crumbs! He couldn't move for a couple of hours. Can you imagine a 13.5 lb. cat eating four generous slices of cake?

oava

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They sound sooooooooo good. I have a bit of English in me 1/2 that is... Love custard.. We don't have anything like that here...