Cat terrorism!!!

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
UGH I am SO frustrated!!!!!

I have 3 cats. A neutered male (Sebastian), a spayed female (Maggie), and her soon-to-be spayed kitten (Lady). When Maggie was pregnant, she and Sebastian tolerated each other, but weren't the best of friends. Sebastian had lived with me for 6 years and then Maggie came in as a stray. They didn't fight when Maggie was pregnant.

When Lady was born, Maggie naturally became extremely protective. I kept them in closed off rooms for a while, then when Lady became big enough to explore, I let them all roam the apartment under supervision. Sebastian pretty much stayed in the kitchen sink, under the kitchen cabinet, or on top of the cabinets for the first 3 months of Lady's life. He didn't come out of the kitchen. Maggie would often chase him there to make sure he stayed.

When Lady became self-sufficient, they all started roaming more freely, and Sebastian stopped hiding in the kitchen. All seemed well. This was around January or February. There was no fighting.

The last few weeks though, Sebastian has started "chasing" Maggie (the mom). He'll chase her behind the sofa, behind my piano, or behind my bed. She will scream like crazy, and growl and hiss. The last couple of days I have seen a scratch on her ear and a scratch on her nose. I don't know how to get Sebastian to stop. It's not constant, but it's daily. They'll even all sleep on the bed with me at night. I don't know why sometimes he chases her and sometimes he doesn't seem to care about her.

The funny thing is, Lady (the kitten) doesn't seem to care about any of this going on. She minds her business, sometimes tries to play with Sebastian (which he is having NONE of), and is the most affectionate and chill kitten ever. Sebastian doesn't terrorize her at all.

What the heck can I do? I am so frustrated and tired of the random screaming that is coming from Maggie.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two of mine do the same thing. It was really hard to get Seti to stop tormenting Kit. (Though, Kit usually provoked it, Seti ended it.) He would get so focused on her that nothing I did could penetrate his focus. Even picking him up and moving him out of the room didn't help. Then I figured out that he doesn't like the sound the fly swatter makes. If he sees it, he'll go to the other side of the house. So, now when he goes after Kit, I just pick up the fly swatter and let him see it. He totally stops and leaves the room. It has helped so much because he's now clear on the rule that says he's not allowed to attack her and it's curbed the fights.

Also, they both love Da Bird and I will play with it with both of them which has helped them learn that they can get along together. They're also fed side by side.