Cat Terrified Of The Oven And Stove

catzorz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anyone know why my cat would be afraid of the oven and stove?

As soon as we open the oven or turn on the stove, she runs to the basement and hides for hours. It's an electric stove and oven.

She has never had any sort of oven-related trauma.

It's also just one of our cats - the other one doesn't care at all.

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor baby!! Perhaps it makes a sound or smell that you can't hear when it turns on? Best suggestion that I can give...animals can be so, so quirky. Sometimes without any explanation at all.

My Reese is terrified of the sound of bells. We couldn't have any out this Christmas!
And my poor old border collie was scared to death of a plethora of odd things. Empty ziploc baggies and the word 'panties' would both send him running to hide behind the toilet. No known reason, we'd had him all of his life and had never beaten him with a pair of panties. :lol:

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it is hard to say why certain things frighten certain cats. Maybe it could be the sounds of things frying or the bang of the oven door. You just have to respect their fear and given them space to either adjust to the scary thing or hide til they feel better.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Turning on the stove or oven for me means a click - or a 'crank' when opening the oven door (maybe try oiling the hinges?). Have no idea why that is a particular quirk for your girl.

If it is the 'click' that bugs her, I can only suggest to distract her away from the area with some treats, so she doesn't go hiding in the basement for hours. Once the oven is oiled and/or stove is on, maybe then she won't care?