Cat temperment...?

taylor0302

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does it have more to do with the breed/gender of the cat (ex: I heard males were more affectionate than females, and that Ragdolls are better tempered than Scottish Folds) Or is it really just about the individual personality of the cat and the environment it grew up in?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, it is a maze!  Different breed owners will recommend you their own breed as the best possible. Other may be almost as good, but not really equals.    LOL

But the individual and milieu is most important yes.

How the father was is quite important, more important than one thinks. How the mom was is of course important, but few think the non present father is also important.

If you want a friendly cat, find some good candidades you are fond of.  And try to see how where their fathers. Make the final choice from there...     Im only half joking.

Yes, many people tell neutered males are more affectionate, but it is no safe rule.

Long haired cats tends to be more "slow" than shorthaired.  This rule of thumb is rather safe.

For example compare the sister breeds of   siamese and balinese (who are semi-longhaired siameses)

and  persians and exotics (who are short haired persians)...

Welcome, and good luck!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most breeds do have the personality as described, but there can be exceptions. I know all my Ocicats are very much the same

Gender doesn't matter. Girls are just as cuddly and smoochy as boys.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had not heard this before. When you say "slow" do you mean less intelligent, or do you mean more cautious or more reserved?
Yes it can mean less intelligent (this from long haired breeders I know). Or slow as in less active, generally the shorthaired breeders are more active and on the go than LH's.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I had not heard this before. When you say "slow" do you mean less intelligent, or do you mean more cautious or more reserved?

I mean not so active, a little calmer.   

But now when you ask it, I suppose sometimes there may also be lower intelligence too in some degree. If you believe in "active, searching, curious, busy, on way" = high intelligence. 

I dont know, but perhaps.    I can understand this theory, but it was not what I said.

Sorry, my english is sometimes worse than usual. Sometimes Im more longhaired than otherwise!  :)

And I dont always have the time and patience to go to the dictionary on line and seek good translations or the the exact synonymes.  So sometimes I contend myself with writing a rough equivalent in "" and hope folks will understands anyway. Usually they do.   :)

Last edited:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been my experience that it's nurture over nature.  I do not believe males are more affectionate than females.  My girls are just as affectionate as my boy or any other boy I've had in my life time.  As for breeds, sometimes that can have more play into how your cat will be but more basis on how active and so forth, and not as much on personality... Those have been my observations anyway.