Cat Tearing Out Chunks Of Shoe Box?

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cats love boxes. Our little girl is using her teeth to rip out chunks of cardboard around the top of the shoe boxes? I know it's normal for cats to use claws on card board but I am actually worried she could hurt her teeth? Any idea what causes the biting behavior? The only solution we have found so far is to use heavy card board boxes that she can not get a mouthful of? Thoughts ???

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is she? We had a kitten do that once when it was losing its baby teeth and getting its permanent ones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old is she? We had a kitten do that once when it was losing its baby teeth and getting its permanent ones.
She is almost 2 years old now. She isn't eating the cardboard but she sure is making a mess in our basement! I have tried distracting her with toys & treats but she goes right back at it. I also got a new shoe box to see if it was just one box that was attracting her to do this and it's torn to shreds now also so anything the weight of a cardboard shoe box appears to be fair game!

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can’t hurt her teeth and she is probably not swallowing pieces of it. There is a recent post about cats and their love of cardboard that you should read.

Ripping Cardboard?
Thanks for the link! Appears I am not the only one with a cat like this! Our male has never done any chewing but will rip apart with his claws which I assume is marking territory.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats shreds boxes too. She makes one almighty mess of the box but she is obviously enjoying herself.

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL !!! ..... I will worry no longer as what my cat is doing is mild compared to yours! Our seems to have an obsession to do this ever day now and I don't see this changing as long as cardboard is available!

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL !!! ..... I will worry no longer as what my cat is doing is mild compared to yours! Our seems to have an obsession to do this ever day now and I don't see this changing as long as cardboard is available!
Just watch it doesn5 evolve into chewing power cords...we can’t leave any phone cords or earphones around....

MajesticFloof

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jasmine and Charlie loved chewing apart boxes. Violet has those cardboard scratching pads which she loves to tear to shreds. I think it's one of those weirdly normal behaviours. They probably loves the feel and sound of destroying things :D