Cat taking forever to finish raw treat

Genevi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I have two cats, Billie and Charlie. I would occasionally give them raw food to chew on as a treat. While Billie finishes his raw threat in a few seconds flat, Charlie could take up to 20 minutes to finish it if not more! A part of me wonders if Charlie does not know how to use his jaws...

For example, if I were to give both cats a chicken wing tip, I can hear Billie cracking the bones in the wing tip as he bites down. Meanwhile, I don't hear anything when Charlie bites but I can see that he is trying to get through to it. He eventually manages to eat it. I learned that smaller pieces are better for him. I once gave him a chicken foot and the poor boy was working on it for so long, he gave up. (Billie was delighted though and took over the treat). Otherwise, Charlie is a healthy cat with great looking teeth and normal looking gums (No redness in sight). He doesn't vomit or have issues with stool so at least there's that. But I am just a tad worried about his jaws. I want to bring this up with the vet but they are very much against raw :(

My raw threats rotate between chicken gizzard, chicken neck and chicken feet. And they rotate between wet food and commercially made raw food.

Any idea as to why he doesn't simply bite through? Is he just a soft biter?
(Please see attached my discontented Charlie boi)

Thank you!

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, Charlie is so cute!!
Could you try offering him something plain and easier to chew, like a chunk of plain chicken breast (that's cut longer than it is wide for easier chewing), and see how he does with that? What do they normally eat as their main diet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Genevi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, Charlie is so cute!!
Could you try offering him something plain and easier to chew, like a chunk of plain chicken breast (that's cut longer than it is wide for easier chewing), and see how he does with that? What do they normally eat as their main diet?
Thanks for answering :) Their main diet is mostly wet food, rotating between Nulo and Dr. Elsey (though that's going to have to change cause Petsmart decided to no longer ship to my location 😒), but on most evening, they eat a premade raw pattie from FaimMuseau and rotate between flavors. I will try your suggestion when I have the chance :) I'm not that worried about Charlie not eating as quickly as Billie, but I am surprised that he didn't catch on that he could apply more force in his bite, I guess? I initially introduced the raw threats to help keep their teeth clean.

I should also add that Charlie is highly motivated by food and is purring machine whenever I am about to put his plate down in front of him 😂

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for answering :) Their main diet is mostly wet food, rotating between Nulo and Dr. Elsey (though that's going to have to change cause Petsmart decided to no longer ship to my location 😒), but on most evening, they eat a premade raw pattie from FaimMuseau and rotate between flavors. I will try your suggestion when I have the chance :) I'm not that worried about Charlie not eating as quickly as Billie, but I am surprised that he didn't catch on that he could apply more force in his bite, I guess? I initially introduced the raw threats to help keep their teeth clean.

I should also add that Charlie is highly motivated by food and is purring machine whenever I am about to put his plate down in front of him 😂
You are very welcome! :)
How old were the cats when you first introduced the treats?

Genevi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are very welcome! :)
How old were the cats when you first introduced the treats?
I had Billie since he was 4 months and introduced raw treats at 5 months. I adopted Charlie when he was roughly 6 months and was introduced to raw shortly after. They are 1 1/5 now :)

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Desmond is more like your Billie. He destroys bone-in pieces in no time. But he gets bone at virtually every meal, and the power of his neck and jaw muscles, and ability to crush bone have developed over time.

Assuming there are no teeth issues with Charlie, I'd just keep providing appropriate bones and allow his abilities to grow over time.

I'm convinced of the importance of keeping cat's teeth and dental structure strong and healthy as part of maintaining their long term health. Chewing for twenty minutes is a good thing versus the alternatives.

Bill

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had Billie since he was 4 months and introduced raw treats at 5 months. I adopted Charlie when he was roughly 6 months and was introduced to raw shortly after. They are 1 1/5 now :)
Do you think if you took something like a neck or wing tip and used a rubber mallet or hammer to smash it a bit, it would be easier for him to get the idea?

Genevi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you think if you took something like a neck or wing tip and used a rubber mallet or hammer to smash it a bit, it would be easier for him to get the idea?
I think I will try this idea first! Thank you!