Cat tail limp after neuter

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a stray neutered last Monday. After the neuter his tail has gone limp. He’s not holding it down himself. The base of the tail by the spine looks like it has muscle movement but the last 3/4 of the tail just dangles. The vet told me it’s because he is in pain and it will return to functioing but I think she thought I meant he was holding down on purpose. Vet is not back until Tuesday. It doesn’t look like he has any feeling on the part that is limp. I have had cats for a long time and have never seen this after a neuter. Anyone see this before?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hadn't seen this before either. The neuter is minimally invasive so I can't imagine it is being caused by nerve damage. They don't do much more then cut the skin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He gave them a fight at the Vet and I’m afraid he may have been injured. He does not seem to notice it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Okay, the fight could be the issue depending on how much he fought and how hard they tried to restrain him....not saying malpractice, but I have had a couple feral issues over the years. Neutering is minimally invasive and the vet needs to recheck this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure how it would have been injured. It doesn’t look broken and his spine looks ok as he is walking fine. There is no feeling in the last 2/3 of the tail As well as no movement. If they did injure him restraining him I doubt I’ll ever get an straight answer. A stray cat without a working tail is a target. I’ve never seen anything like this after a neuter.