Cat swats at hands

carrielynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A little tortie recently found my place, and I'm keeping her as an outside cat since she is semi-feral, is friendly but will not be touched. I do get my cats fixed, but unfortunately she arrived pregnant, and she is now eating a ton of food. Whenever I put the food down, she swats at me. It doesn't seem aggressive, more like "give me the food," and I don't think her claws are ever out, but it startles me and makes me not enjoy feeding her. Is there any way to discourage this kind of behavior, or will this likely always be a part of her personality? I know they can act different when pregnant, and she is also quite young (I'm guessing 1 year). She otherwise has a great personality, very sweet and talkative.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think she's actually "swatting" at you. My cat Joji sometimes grabs my fingers when I hold or offer some food, usually with claws out. The first time she did it, it would startle me but I am used to it now. I just slowly move my hand away or not at all. Never been scratched. She's pretty gentle actually. 

Last edited: