A few hours ago I walked up to my cat vomiting a piece of ribbon. He managed to get a large piece up but not out. I immediately took him to the emergency vet with the string still hanging out of his mouth. The vet cut a large piece off but told us the rest was deep in his intestines. He gave us the option of surgery ($1900) or told us we could see if he passes it. We don't just have the money laying around for this, it would take all of our savings and we would probably have to borrow from family members but we would probably be able to pull it off if we had to although it would be a significant financial burden on us. We just got back home with him and are still trying to decide what to do. Our best estimation is that he ate the ribbon about 3 days ago. There is probably about 2-3 feet of ribbon still in his intestines. So my questions are How likely is it that he will pass the ribbon with a bowel movement at this point? 10% chance? 5% chance? Is it even possible to measure the chance? How long should we would before we decide whether or not to put him in to surgery? The vet told us to not give him a laxative on the chance that it could cause him to strain on something could get stuck. Is there anything else I could give him to try to get it out? Also, the vet gave us more string than what was initially hanging out of his mouth. This caused me to worry that they pulled more string out through his mouth and the rest on the inside got tighter. I'm worried about this because since he got home he's been hiding and acting lethargic. I'm sure the fact that he swallowed a long ribbon has a lot to do with this but he wasn't acting nearly this bad before we took him in to the vet. Is trying to pull the string out something they would do or could it just be the medicine they gave him that's causing his increased lethargy? Any responses and/or opinions would be greatly appreciated.