Cat Swallowed Balloon String & Passed It

a028

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Title says it all. She was acting normally all day until she used the litter box, then she was upset & I noticed the string sticking out of her. I very gently pulled on it but she cried so I stopped, cut off the string I could see, and let her be. I went to the store for soap (ran out while dealing with cat poo, yuck) and when I returned, I found more poopy string on the ground & no more was hanging out her rear. She's hiding in my closet and she's grumpy, but no other signs of distress or lethargy or anything. She ate a few treats just fine and played with her teaser toy. Do I have anything to worry about anymore? I don't want to take her to the expensive vet if I don't need to, but I've also read too many horror stories while looking for advice.

The night before, I fed her some canned wet food so I'm thinking the food helped push the string out.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would just watch her for throwing up, lethargy, or not pooping. That means that there could still be some string in her. If you notice that, she needs to get to the vet immediately for an x-ray and treatment. If you wait, it could be fatal.

ashglitched

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Before I almost had the same experience, except one of our Scottish folds ate a ribbon and like 3 inches of it was sticking out of his butt, eventually it came out, and he was fine.