Cat surrender

Gina1975

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 1 year old boy viciously attacked me yesterday morning. He was on his perch and made a weird meow sound (which isn't unusual). I looked up at him and mimicked his sound and he hurled himself at me and wouldn't let go. I ran into the bathroom to get away from him. My 11 year old son witnessed the whole thing. He scratched my face and busted my lip open. I went to urgent care and, luckily, didn't need stitches. But I am on antibiotics. I went back home and he seemed ok but started to puff up again. I left him alone and locked myself in my bedroom. My son got home from school and was terrified to go into the house. My cat showed me his belly and wanted to sit next to me but I was so scared. We decided to surrender him to the same place we adopted him as a kitten. He has NEVER acted out this way never before and I'm sure I'm to blame. But we are terrified he might do it again and attack my son. I have a nick on my glasses. Thank goodness I was wearing them. He always seemed to want to go outside but the last thing I wanted was to see him lying dead on the side of the road. I'm sad and incredibly depressed. It's going to be an adjustment. I feel like I'm a hot mess. He's not just another cat. He's family.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could have been a lot of things, but the % is its either an animal outside or he is injured/sick. Either way its not your fault.

Personally, I'd take the cat for a vet visit before surrender, but I completely get how scary that is. And if it was an outside animal, that can be difficult to deal with. Its also true that a decent % of the time its just impossible to figure out the why of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gina1975

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had a mama bobcat on the side of the house that made herself at home under a wagon. She finally left 2 days ago. The admissions rep at the Humane Society said with that type of aggression it could be medical. You're right. Lots of factors to consider. But with my son being so scared we felt like we didn't have time. My heart just completely breaks. I know the humane society will take care of him and he goes to a good home. I just want him to be ok. I'm so sad and can cry at the drop of a hat.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
seems kinda like a misdirected aggression type thing that odd meow sound was probably that crazy growling sound cats make to threaten another cat right before fighting.you had the bad luck of telling him"lets get it on" when you copied the sound since he already was probably primed and ready for a fight from that bob cat being around. he went after you.that aside glad your ok i would try to explain things to your sonthe cats not crazy etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gina1975

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My son knows our cat isn't crazy. He still loves him too. But you're probably right! The bobcat left 3 days ago and my cat attacked me yesterday morning. I don't know if the two still correlate.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still seems highly likely it was the bobcat to me. Unless you had a camera on, it might have been by more recently. And even if the bobcat left two days before the incident, the smell was likely still there, and your cat was on a state of heightened alert.

A lot of these incidents are actually caused by feral domestic cats in the yard. So obviously a bobcat would trigger a bunch of cats.

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nobel had deferred aggression at me once and it was from a neighbour's cat coming to our yard. I also had a hospital trip and antibiotics.

We worked on his anxiety, and with the neighbours in keeping the cat out of our backyard and he never did this again.