Cat surgery

Oen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had a fractured femur and had to have surgery and a pin put in, this cost me $3000 is that normal? I also noticed the gas anesthesia cost $750 is that normal for a simple fracture surgery?.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, the cost of care does not scale down to the size of the patient. 😿

That does sound about right.

Surgical fracture repair is costly, which is a reflection of the many processes required. Surgery is performed under anesthesia, often whilst the patient is on intravenous fluids and pain relief at around $100 - $300. Radiographs to assess the fracture would be around $140 upwards, with the actual fracture repair being anywhere from $850 upwards. For a basic fracture repair an average total bill is around the $1,500 mark, but for more complex surgery $4,000 plus is not unusual.
Source: Surgical Fracture Repair for Cats - Conditions Treated, Procedure, Efficacy, Recovery, Cost, Considerations, Prevention

I checked an old bill for my Krista's ear surgery and her anesthesia was charged per 1/2 hour unit for 3 units at a total of $810. Depending on how long it took to repair the femur and insert the pin, the bill could include multiple units of anesthesia and that's why that cost is higher than you might expect.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Because you mentioned them having to put a pin in, that makes this a little bit more than what I would call "simple".
I know anesthesiologist have a very difficult job. Too much gas, and they've killed your pet. Not enough gas, and your pet will feel every bit of the surgery that they do. But yes, to me at least, without insurance this seems about right.
This is a good reason to have pet health insurance.