Cat Sunscreen

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has white, few haired ears... if that makes sense.

He is getting very hot, and I don’t want his ears to burn, or worse... is there’sn easy to apply to a cat who does not like being touched with anything, sunscreen?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did find this on Amazon: Sit. Stay. Forever. Organic Pet Sunscreen & Moisturizer, All Natural, 2 oz tin, Made in USA. It says it can be used on cats. You might want to check it out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I need something I can get in the uk.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think this product is available for international shipping on Amazon.com. I don't however have any idea what the shipping costs might be. You could inquire with them. I have used Amazon for years and years, and find them trustworthy and very reliable.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
White cats with bald ears don't need sunscreen. Daisy has not been burned yet and Florida is HOT!

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Daisy6 Daisy6 , I disagree. Gohan has thin, white fur on his ears and I was told by the cat clinic vet that white cats are especially susceptible to skin cancer, especially with a lot of sunbathing and especially near the ears. She mentioned observing how often he sunbathes in windows, and to keep an eye on the skin near his ears for blemishes.

Gohan tends to keep his sun-soaking habits to a minimum, he might lay in the sun about an hour a day. But if he soaked more we might consider sunscreen for his ears, or if he had lots of outdoor time. Just like people, fair-furred kitties should be protected from the sun.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Daisy is not a sun soaker, but the vet never asked me about it.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
I think indoor cats are a lot safer, but it was something that this vet mentioned once and so we kind of keep an eye on his ears. (I really miss that vet, we moved away and so far she was my favorite!). I'm not sure how common it is, but I do know she said it was a risk with lighter cats.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
I think only white cats are at risk. Dark cats have furry ears.
Yeah, I think that was the gist of what my vet told me as well. The dark furry ears do a great job as natural sunscreen.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
My vet said the concern was for cats that liked to sunbathe multiple hours a day.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think only white cats are at risk. Dark cats have furry ears.
Actually, my black & white tuxedo has thinner layers of hair on the backs of both her ears and I consider her ears at risk just like any white cat. (Tuxedos have both dark pigment and light pigment in their skin.)

And I don't personally feel there is (yet?) a good cat version of a sunscreen. Cats should not have zinc, zinc oxide, or salicylates applied to their skin, in my view.

I just do my best to keep Milly's goofy ears out of the direct sunshine.:sunshine:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to add this to the thread, while we're thinking about indoor kitties that hang out in windows for the sunshine (nearly all indoor kitties, perhaps).

In the summer especially I use a window film product that helps cut out a lot of the UV rays, glare and solar heat. I don't know if it helps cut any harmful rays from my cat and her thin-haired ears when she is sunning herself, but it might.
The platinum film cuts out more than the "light" film...