Cat suddenly with wet behind - weekend care and after

moreknow

learning to help ferals :)
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,
My mostly indoor spayed cat Celsa, has suddenly been having a wet behind today 1/27. This morning, small bits of light brown soft liquid was on the carpet and we noticed it was coming from Celsa. She was able to jump and move quick to the top of the coach and move around, but I noticed she was slow moving slow and seemingly uncomfortable when she would loaf or 'park'. She's licking the sides of her mouth every now and then, which I heard was a sign of pain. This morning she was showing interest in eating, but then didn't want to. She's currently loafing and finding uncommon places to be at. She's wanting to lick it, but it seems she's unable to as bending down to cleaning that area is uncomfortable to her; possibly there's stomach pain. I also noticed there's like a small string-like substance along with the soft brown liquid on her behind area. Could be tapeworms, but I am trying to see what could be the best option for her to clean her stomach completely if possible

Only reason I feel is behind this is because she never really liked using the litter boxes, and would always prefer going outside to pass stool and pee. So I feel that could contribute to the possible stomach issue. I am dedicated to helping her, but I just started a new job and am continuing college so I am trying to find out the best care for her over the weekend while I find a good vet. I have a supplement called Diggin’ Your Dog Firm Up Pumpkin for Dogs & Cats but I'm trying to figure out how to administer it to her.

with what i know so far, these could be the issues:
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Infection
- Dietary issue
- Constipation
- Worm issues

once again, I would sincerely appreciate any advice and remedies to help me take care for her during the weekend, I really hope this isn't anything fatal

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Licking lips is a sign of nausea in cats. If she's nauseous, she won't want to eat. You can try human generic Pepcid, 10 mg (fomatadine) and give her 1/4 of a pill twice a day. Be sure to get the 10mg tablets, NOT the 20mg tablets. You can use the pumpkin for cats. If you have a health food store nearby, get an ounce of slippery elm bark powder and make some slippery elm bark syrup. Bring 1/2 cup water to a boil, turn off heat and add 1 teaspoon SEB powder and whisk until it's the consistency of a raw egg white. Allow to cool and add 1/4 teaspoon of the syrup to wet food twice a day. Store remainder in the fridge for up to a week.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Yesterday she was acting normal eating dry food, it all seemed to happen overnight. She’s still able to jump a run a bit. I believe it might be a hard time to give her any supplements, but I will first try with the pumpkin when the chance comes.

she just went to use the litter box, and went back again. This is how it looks like

IMG_1115.jpeg
IMG_1114.jpeg

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
How long have you had her and what are you feeding her? Have you changed food recently?
she is about 4 years old, mostly indoor. I always feed her dry food and Friskies cans whenever I can. I haven't changed any of the food to any of my cats.

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tapeworms are generally because of fleas, I believe. I'm trying to recall when a cat of ours had one. They did a stool sample and was able to diagnose it that way (but it's if the worm can be in it). If there is a tapeworm, I believe they give an injection and after awhile (I can't recall how long), the cat will vomit it up...at least ours did. I was like 13 and had the honor of finding it. PTSD!! LOL It was crazy! Like a jagged strand of limp spaghetti!!! I can't comment on anything eye because i really don't know, but if a tape worm seems like an option, I'd take a stool sample to the vet.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
The tapeworms are in the stool, no doubt. But what im noticing now is that she’s frequently trying to go poop wherever she finds comfortable, and some people on another forum are saying that this could have something to do with the anal glands..
IMG_1117.jpeg

This is the best picture i could take so far

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Also some of the little stool she tries to pass is clear or light greyish; a really tiny amount

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mandy was leaving something similar like that. It was soft and I had to scrub the carpet like mad to get it out. We thought she might be experiencing sudden urges and couldn't make it to the box in time. It resolved itself after sporadic episodes so I don't have much input. She's also a 17lb beast who can't clean herself well...LOL Celsa may benefit from a vet visit. I know with humans, different colors of stools can be indicative of what could be going on.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Mandy was leaving something similar like that. It was soft and I had to scrub the carpet like mad to get it out. We thought she might be experiencing sudden urges and couldn't make it to the box in time. It resolved itself after sporadic episodes so I don't have much input. She's also a 17lb beast who can't clean herself well...LOL Celsa may benefit from a vet visit. I know with humans, different colors of stools can be indicative of what could be going on.
Yes Celsa was also throwing up a little here and there and randomly moving up and trying to go in random times and places even when nothing came out.. she’s stopped for now, but is still not comfortable with me picking her up or anything. Was Mandy also acting similar with the vomiting and discomfort?

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I cannot recall if she was throwing up or not. I'm leaning towards she did not. Mandy does. vomit sometimes after eating. It's not common at all for her to do that, but she has. Mandy isn't one to want to be picked up so I can't answer that about her. I would completely take Celsa in...especially with the discomfort. Or maybe someone else has better knowledge? Lots of very knowledgeable people here!

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Actually, I was talking to my husband about this and he reminded me of something. We had an instance in August with Mandy. My sister-in-law and her family were in town and stopped to visit. They have three boys aged 10-13ish. We had 9 people in our living room that night. Mandy can be cautious of people entering our house. I don't know that I would call her skittish because she really isn't anti-social like, but 9 people all at once can be intimidating to her. It's a lot of movement going on. She hid. After a while, she did decide to venture out and the boys were on her like a kid at Christmas. The next morning, we couldn't find Mandy. We looked EVERYWHERE and she was not responding to treats (shaking them in the container). That was odd. Mandy is the FIRST ALWAYS to respond. We even split up and went through the neighborhood looking in case the sunroom door did not latch the previous night. Nothing. We are talking two hours and we couldn't find her. Out of nowhere, though, she came out. She ended up behind the refrigerator. How, I have no idea. WHY isn't something we still don't have an answer. She came out and was just odd. She had a film over one of her eyes an just wasn't doing well. In a matter of less than 12 hours this happened. We took her to the vet as an urgent appointment. The vet treated her for "pink eye" (how pink eye can develop that quickly, I have no idea). She found nothing else wrong with her. The entire day, she stayed under the couch and would not come out. I went into my craft room at one point and that is when I found the very loose stools..and that is what I had to scrub to get out. We discovered that somewhere along the line, she pee'd on a blanket in the sunroom and again in the carrier going to the vet. When Mandy ate later, she threw up. This happened a few times through the day. She didn't keep anything down. The following day, she was fine. Stress? Anxiety? She isn't as brave as she was when we have company now. LOL

Still, I think Celsa should be seen if it isn't resolving...and I would take a stool sample if it is still discolored.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you can get her to the vet, it would be a good idea. The stool is very liquid and light in color. The fact that it is all over her back legs is not normal, even for loose stool. I have seen cases of worms and anal gland involvement, although it certainly could be one of those, where things looked much more normal despite the cat needing treatment. There also seems to be discomfort.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually, I was talking to my husband about this and he reminded me of something. We had an instance in August with Mandy. My sister-in-law and her family were in town and stopped to visit. They have three boys aged 10-13ish. We had 9 people in our living room that night. Mandy can be cautious of people entering our house. I don't know that I would call her skittish because she really isn't anti-social like, but 9 people all at once can be intimidating to her. It's a lot of movement going on. She hid. After a while, she did decide to venture out and the boys were on her like a kid at Christmas. The next morning, we couldn't find Mandy. We looked EVERYWHERE and she was not responding to treats (shaking them in the container). That was odd. Mandy is the FIRST ALWAYS to respond. We even split up and went through the neighborhood looking in case the sunroom door did not latch the previous night. Nothing. We are talking two hours and we couldn't find her. Out of nowhere, though, she came out. She ended up behind the refrigerator. How, I have no idea. WHY isn't something we still don't have an answer. She came out and was just odd. She had a film over one of her eyes an just wasn't doing well. In a matter of less than 12 hours this happened. We took her to the vet as an urgent appointment. The vet treated her for "pink eye" (how pink eye can develop that quickly, I have no idea). She found nothing else wrong with her. The entire day, she stayed under the couch and would not come out. I went into my craft room at one point and that is when I found the very loose stools..and that is what I had to scrub to get out. We discovered that somewhere along the line, she pee'd on a blanket in the sunroom and again in the carrier going to the vet. When Mandy ate later, she threw up. This happened a few times through the day. She didn't keep anything down. The following day, she was fine. Stress? Anxiety? She isn't as brave as she was when we have company now. LOL

Still, I think Celsa should be seen if it isn't resolving...and I would take a stool sample if it is still discolored.
It could have been stress, or something that she came across that might have caused her stomach and eye to fall ill, or a combination of both. But I'm glad to hear that Mandy is ok now :-)

What's odd about my situation is that I have 8 cats that are fully outdoors and have been for 3+ years, and another 10 (excluding Celsa) that stay mostly indoors, 6 of them spend the nights comfortably in my garage.

Out of all these cats, Celsa, who is mostly indoor, has now gotten these symptoms:

- Nausea, vomiting clear liquid
****just now in her clear liquid vomit, there was a little dot of something red
- Not wanting to eat
- SHE DRANK WATER 1 HOUR AGO 1/28
- NOT lethargic, able to jump on tables and move pretty normal
- Uncomfortable laying on her side
- Stool is loose, light pink/light brown with tapeworms

I MUST take her by tonight or tomorrow evening after work, depending on her condition. I found 24 hour animal hospitals that are in the other side of Houston

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
she may have gotten tape worms from one of the other cats. Keep her in a room by herself same with the other cats

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
People on another forum are suggesting from the pic of her behind that it could be part of a popped abcess and/or anal gland issue, but do y'all think tapeworms could cause her behind to look like that and nauseous not wanting to eat?

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
I want to write my current thoughts on here, consider like a personal log

It’s 3am in Houston and im currently at the GCVS. Even though I am the only person with a pet being seen, it is taking pretty long. The vet said that based off the regular exam there doesnt seem to be anything fully wrong, anal glands look normal. I still wanted to go ahead and go for xray, blood work, subcutaneous treatment for her dehydration, anti nausea injection, antibiotic and probiotics, and other treatments pending diagnostics.. i think she’ll be fine so far

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I could imagine that an anal gland problem or abscess could look like that, but I have never seen it in tapeworms. My cat vet told me that tapeworms have to be very advanced to see secondary symptoms, but this is just my opinion. ER vet ruled out anal glands now, so we know that is not it.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
update 1/31
though Celsa was in hiding most of yesterday and Monday after the vet, she is basically fully back to normal; the anti nausea and other treatment did help her for sure, she hasn't vomited or go #2 all over the carpet. Alongside that, she's eating dry food again, drinking water, and purring like before. The vet said it most likely could've been a complication in the stomach causing this, with the tapeworms contributing to that. She won't have that parasite problem anymore.

I still have to deworm her and focus on flea medication for all my cats. I will post a new thread soon regarding best flea/worm treatment for a cat colony. THANK Y'ALL SO MUCH AGAIN im just glad it wasn't anything fatal and that she's still with me again🧡

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just FYI, you will probably need to treat for tapeworms again because of their life cycle. They're usually not eradicated in one treatment.