Cat suddenly will only eat on a counter or table

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have five cats: 3 kittens (almost 2 years old) and their mother and father. We have fed them in the same place and the same food for probably 18 months - now one of them will only eat his food when the dish is placed on a counter or table. It is the most bizarre thing.

It began when we brought his father home from the vet after getting all but 2 teeth extracted. The next morning's and subsequent feedings have been a disaster. None of them except the patient appeared interested in their food - he eats like there won't be any more food - but he had to fast before the surgery so that is understandable. A week later, all but one has settled down now - the one who will only eat on an elevated surface.

Any ideas why this is and what we can do to resume his old habit of eating next to his siblings on the floor?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am going to guess, based on what you said, that the father might have been 'hogging' others' food - maybe even pushing them out of the way. While the father and the others have gotten over it, this 'kitten' that wants to be fed on the counter isn't willing to go back to normal for fear of the same 'hogging' behavior coming from the father. It is also possible that this particular cat has found out that s/he actually likes the counter better for eating.

You might try setting his/her food on the floor, but away from the other cats to see if s/he will eat that way. If so, you can gradually move the food dish closer to the others' location. You could also try a more gradual approach by placing this cat's dish on a chair by the counter (closer to the floor, but still elevated) first, and then down another step (footstool or something similar), and then finally to the floor.

Does this one cat avoid the father or his/her siblings otherwise?

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could also be fear. Cats frequently don’t recognize a resident cat who has been to the vet and smells like the bad place for a while. How are they acting around him at other times?

Eurocat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there
I agree with lollie.
Being elevated empowers a cat. He maybe now feels threatened by the father who smells differently after being at the vet, or actually used the father’s absence to jump up in the ranks and wants to maintain this position? ;)
Is the „kitten“ who does this male?
Are all the cats neutered/castrated?
Maybe things will just fall into place again after a bit of time.
Otherwise could it be an idea to specifically give the 2 cats in question treats or food simultaneously by hand to try and pave the way?
All the best!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree. It's definitely anxiety/fear and feeding him higher is about food security.

If the root cause was his dad smelling funny or temporarily food hogging, you may be able to move him back slowly. You can start with a chair height, and then to the floor but with some distance.

He may never be fully back to eating right next to other cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your input! The father never hogged food (the kitten's siblings did but I always monitor to prevent them from eating the others' food). It has been 10 days and the father should no longer smell like the vet.

Another very strange habit is that his mate, Pumpkin, who LOVES him - won't eat next to him anymore. They had been inseparable and would not eat UNTIL she was next to him. They haven't groomed each other since his return. It is the same surgery she had a mere two weeks before and the others did not react this way during her recovery.

None of the cats are really interacting with the father (Midnight) during the day. It is strange and disturbing. My initial thought is that Midnight had an infection they were smelling, but he doesn't.

Eurocat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Anticus?
As I asked in my first post - Are the cats all castrated/neutered?
What surgery did the adult cats have recently?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If some of the cats are avoiding the father (from what you said, I think it is only him who is being avoided, not sure), is he on any meds? Some cats will react to scent changes caused by meds, and they can also react to hidden health issues because that can change a cat's scent as well.

You say no one is interacting with him during the day - what about nighttime? Is he eating/drinking/using the litter box normally?
Is he due to have a re-check after his teeth extraction?

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Anticus?
As I asked in my first post - Are the cats all castrated/neutered?
What surgery did the adult cats have recently?
Oh gosh yes yes! Sorry! All of them, 3 male, 2 female have been spayed/neutered. Former feral male & female (mates) and their 3 kittens (now 2 yrs old nearly). The mom & pop (Pumpkin & Midnight) had 18 teeth each extracted.

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If some of the cats are avoiding the father (from what you said, I think it is only him who is being avoided, not sure), is he on any meds? Some cats will react to scent changes caused by meds, and they can also react to hidden health issues because that can change a cat's scent as well.

You say no one is interacting with him during the day - what about nighttime? Is he eating/drinking/using the litter box normally?
Is he due to have a re-check after his teeth extraction?
He is no longer on any meds. I don't know if anyone is interacting with him at night, meaning when I'm asleep. But he is eating/drinking/eliminating regularly. He isn't scheduled for a re-check but I have been communicating with the vet.

I worry if he has an hidden infection they can smell. I also wonder if Midnight feels emasculated with his teeth gone and struggling with figuring out how his mouth works now.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If Midnight is eating well, it would not seem that he is still figuring out how his mouth works, and I sincerely doubt he feels emasculated by the loss of his teeth. The latter is really more or less a human emotion. Regardless, none of this would probably stop the other cats from interacting with him unless he is shunning them for some reason. Does he attempt to interact with them? If so, what happens?

When was the last time he had meds? Some can 'hang around' in the body for a while long after the last dose. An infection is possible, but I would think you would see changes in his behavior to some degree.

What kinds of things went on when they all interacted together? Can you recreate those times in any way?

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It has been a week since he has had medication. I would think all that is out of his system now.

Last evening we observed Midnight grooming the "kittens." During the course of a day he will play with everyone singularly. Everyone grooms everyone else.

Midnight and Pumpkin were sitting together at a window, but there hasn't.been any physical contact with her. She has initiated and he turns away. Yesterday I resumed a group play session during which I will toss treats and they will chase and eat them. It went normally.
But there is definitely something "off" here.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It has been a week since he has had medication. I would think all that is out of his system now.

Last evening we observed Midnight grooming the "kittens." During the course of a day he will play with everyone singularly. Everyone grooms everyone else.

Midnight and Pumpkin were sitting together at a window, but there hasn't.been any physical contact with her. She has initiated and he turns away. Yesterday I resumed a group play session during which I will toss treats and they will chase and eat them. It went normally.
But there is definitely something "off" here.
It may just be taking some time for the relationship to recover from him smelling like a stranger cat.