Cat suddenly went berserk

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My adopted 8 Yr old tortie is a very sweet cat. When she's on her playing mode, I'll just put my hand near her and touch her. At first she will light bite my hand but once she realises its my hand, she will immediately lick it. I don't know why but every morning she will bite me when I did not wake up and feed her. This one I could understand but sometimes at some random timing of the day, she will just go to my bed and treat me like enemy and kept biting me regardless feet or hands.. As I'm writing this I had scratches on my hands, not serious, but she really bites hard.. Now I feel like it's getting more and more frequent and I do not want her to get into the habit of biting.. what should be done?

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine had a phase like that, I had to wall myself inside the covers not to get hurt. But it was for feeding or wanting to play. I don't think I did anything, it just went away on its own. I would recommend putting her on eating and feeding schedule, and sticking to it. Also blocking her means to bite you for a while, cause now she probably already associates your hands and feet with fun things to bite.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think she is biting you for attention, and that has been reinforced by your play with her. I would use other means besides your hands when you know she is in her 'play mode'. When she comes up randomly to you and starts to bite, she is probably looking for more play. You will have to decide whether to ignore it or engage her in play - with something other than your hands. A loud "ouch" should let her know you don't want her to bite you, followed by a brief 'ignore' session before you re-engage with her.

If you think it is related to food, evaluate how you are feeding her and when. Maybe you need to reassess how much food she gets and at what times, and if that schedule is adequate for her needs.

I take you have not had this cat long?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That "OUCH" is your best tool. If that doesn't seem to get her attention, try hissing. A hiss is Universal Cattish for "STOP THAT NOW!" and they are born knowing what it means. I like to think that you get some street cred for knowing the language, LOL.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, hissing and saying NO loudly is what you need to do. Do not let her bite you at all, they think you are fair game if you let them. Just don't do it in front of company, they give you weird looks......