Cat Suddenly Super Cuddly? Should I Be Concerned?

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! It’s been awhile since I’ve posted on here about Arabella so I’ll give a brief history of our situation.

About a year ago, a neighbor’s cat started coming over and we fell in love with her. Her family, I think unknowingly, neglected her and she was not in great shape (licked herself bald, cuts all over, thin, didn’t know how to play with cat toys) and she decided she was going to adopt us. Around Thanksgiving, we let her move inside into the heated garage and we would sleep together every night in there. When it started getting warm out, we migrated upstairs to my bedroom where there was AC. She wasn’t thrilled at first and preferred the garage, but she knows that’s our room now.

She’s very sweet, but sassy, and doesn’t like to be pet for too long. She would lay on my chest and purr as she nudged my face and I’d pet and scratch her cheeks, and after a few minutes she’d go to lay down in her own spot, next to me but not touching me. About a month ago, we converted the garage into a room for my grandma because she doesn’t have much time left and couldn’t live alone. Before grandma got here, Arabella was still hanging out in the converted garage sometimes, but knew come nighttime, we went upstairs to sleep in our own room. Over the past few weeks, she’s slowly been jumping up on my chest and cuddling with me more often. Usually I’d get a chest cuddle once or twice a week for 15 minutes, and now it’s to where she won’t sleep unless she’s on top of me or up against me. She used to lay in my spot when I would work late and she was in the room alone, but now, even if I get up out of bed for one minute, she’s jumping in my spot.

She tends to get sick a lot and when she does, she’s very really cuddly. When I was sick once, she was bringing me “gifts” every day and being cuddly. I’m not sure if she’s sick and just showing no other signs (she’s eating, playing like a mad women with her boa toys and cat nip toys, running around, climbing trees, working as pest control services of the property, and enjoying her cat nip and cat grass plants) but usually when she’s sick, I’m able to tell something is up. Could it be because grandma just moved in and took her favorite room in the house and she can feel that I’m really stressed out and tense from taking care of her all day? It’s been really rough because she has dementia and my parents put it on me and my sister and I’m also trying to finish my last two college classes so I can get my degree, and working, and looking for jobs. Is she trying to deal with the changes and/or comfort me? Or did she just finally realize sleeping on or against her mommy is MUCH warmer than sleeping alone? I don’t think she slept with her old family much so maybe it’s just new to her? Any advice!?

B9FFA172-0BF0-488A-9BBF-335F7C5F021A.jpeg

138944F1-FF02-4337-8139-AFF139799270.jpeg

389536E2-CF82-4FB1-9EA7-C92A00042A66.jpeg

3D431E03-2971-4D18-AC2B-84C922A06B0B.jpeg

3BD5DB5F-79C3-4D9C-9654-E1AD14F9A514.jpeg

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Obviously I can't comment on any potential medical issues but let's assume she's fine and dandy at the moment as your post suggests. Small caveat: Cats can mask pain and problems very well so with that in mind...
I had a Persian a few years ago and he was quite unfriendly and hid away a lot. This was for over a year after we got him when he was about 3yrs old. One day he came in from outside covered in muck and was very fretful. It seemed as though he'd been attacked and we were searching for blood and terrible wounds. However, he was fine and from that day on he became very friendly and cuddlesome. It was like a minor miracle.
One of my current cat's, Oliver, was always friendly but after we'd had him for about a year he suddenly became super cuddlesome for no apparent reason.
I don't know why these changes occured but just to let you know a change in behaviour can happen for one reason or another. She's very cute by the way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I emailed her vet and she kinda said the same thing. As long as she’s eating and active, she’s probably fine. I’m extremely in tune with her and I don’t see ANY other differences in her. There was multiple times when I felt there was something going on with her and my family said I was absolutely insane and when we went to the vet, it turned out I right so I’m pretty good at this stuff. If you know of a few instances where the fur babies just became more cuddly, that absolutely makes me feel better. The only thing I can think of is she never had anyone to sleep on/against and she’s just realizing how nice and warm it is against mommy. And thank you!!! She’s my little cutie pie. I just love her to pieces and I wasn’t a cat or even a pet person before she adopted me. Never let the animals even come in my room, now I have her sleeping on my chest. Thanks for the input.. it makes me feel much better and not so concerned!

Obviously I can't comment on any potential medical issues but let's assume she's fine and dandy at the moment as your post suggests. Small caveat: Cats can mask pain and problems very well so with that in mind...
I had a Persian a few years ago and he was quite unfriendly and hid away a lot. This was for over a year after we got him when he was about 3yrs old. One day he came in from outside covered in muck and was very fretful. It seemed as though he'd been attacked and we were searching for blood and terrible wounds. However, he was fine and from that day on he became very friendly and cuddlesome. It was like a minor miracle.
One of my current cat's, Oliver, was always friendly but after we'd had him for about a year he suddenly became super cuddlesome for no apparent reason.
I don't know why these changes occured but just to let you know a change in behaviour can happen for one reason or another. She's very cute by the way.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A trip to the vet might be worth it just for peace of mind.

My cats always start to get much more cuddly when the weather gets colder. Did the change coincide with the fall weather we've been having lately on the Eastern seaboard? It was particularly dramatic after the nasty hot, humid summer, which could explain the sudden change.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Ashley - most of what you've posted sounds really encouraging. She's eating and drinking well, using her litterbox properly, and playful. As Etarre Etarre suggests, her cuddly personality could be due to a change in weather. My own cat has also been sitting in my lap and snuggling more these past two weeks during the evenings because the nights are getting colder where I am. I also know from my own experience, however, that cats do sometimes snuggle more when they are sick because they get cold.

Personally I would watch her for a bit longer to see if anything else strikes you as being "off". It might be worth it to have her weighed to make sure that she's not losing weight.

Good luck! She looks like a real suck!

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A trip to the vet might be worth it just for peace of mind.

My cats always start to get much more cuddly when the weather gets colder. Did the change coincide with the fall weather we've been having lately on the Eastern seaboard? It was particularly dramatic after the nasty hot, humid summer, which could explain the sudden change.
I emailed her vet and she said as long as she’s eating and I don’t see any other changes, that she’s probably fine. I torture my poor vet over every single little thing but she’s wonderful! There’s been times where she’s told me to come in ASAP, times where she called medicine in without making me come in, and times where she said just to keep an eye and she seems to make the right call every time. But now that you mention it, it did start as it cooled down outside so maybe that has something to do with it. I’m sitting in the backyard with her now and she’s playing with her plants (cat nip and cat grass) and stalking mice under our old van parked back here. If anything, she’s been eating more and has been more active since the weather has cooled down and has been hunting more. We had a brutal summer and I noticed she wasn’t as active, but I chalked it up to her hitting 7 years old this year but she’s back to being her active little self. Maybe she’s cuddling more bc she’s not so overheated during the day and is just feeling better and not so cranky.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! What a lovely girl you have there! Our kitty Gohan was very upset when we adopted Olive. He has always been independant, only cuddling next to my boyfriend and once in a while in his lap. Since the new cat, he became way more affectionate and follows my BF around everywhere ans cuddles more often. I think some cata react like that to threats in the environment. She lost territory in the garage and the household stress increased. It seems nice she is going to you for comfort.

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Ashley - most of what you've posted sounds really encouraging. She's eating and drinking well, using her litterbox properly, and playful. As Etarre Etarre suggests, her cuddly personality could be due to a change in weather. My own cat has also been sitting in my lap and snuggling more these past two weeks during the evenings because the nights are getting colder where I am. I also know from my own experience, however, that cats do sometimes snuggle more when they are sick because they get cold.

Personally I would watch her for a bit longer to see if anything else strikes you as being "off". It might be worth it to have her weighed to make sure that she's not losing weight.

Good luck! She looks like a real suck!
I didn’t even think of the weather thing!! She only adopted me last fall so I’m still learning about her and how she reacts to each season. This summer, she was super uncomfortable from severe allergies and the horrible heat and humidity. She is very allergic to mosquitoes and they were HORRIBLE this year. I would put the bug repellent on her neck and also got her two steroid injections that both last a few weeks to help. But her face got blown up twice from mosquito bites and her ears were all tender and scabbed from her itching like crazy. And then the heat was so bad that she wasn’t hunting and running around outside like she always has. I didn’t know if she was just aging (she’s turning 7) or if it was the combination of the heat and allergies. Her allergies have subsided and the weather is beautiful now so maybe since she feels a lot better and she’s not as cranky, she wants to cuddle up to me and stay warm.

And yes, whenever she’s sick and doesn’t feel well, she’ll cuddle up to me so that’s why I was concerned. But if anything, she’s actually been more like her old self before the summer heat and allergies. I have to bring her in to get her nails clipped this week so I’ll ask them to weigh her too. Thank you for your input!!!!

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! What a lovely girl you have there! Our kitty Gohan was very upset when we adopted Olive. He has always been independant, only cuddling next to my boyfriend and once in a while in his lap. Since the new cat, he became way more affectionate and follows my BF around everywhere ans cuddles more often. I think some cata react like that to threats in the environment. She lost territory in the garage and the household stress increased. It seems nice she is going to you for comfort.
Thank you she’s my little princess!! I was thinking that maybe bc she lost her favorite room and there’s someone new hanging around all day everyday that she wants to stay safe by being right next to her mommy. She knows I’ll protect her. It’s crazy bc I only got her s year ago and she trusts me so much. Cats are so funny!

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You've been under stress too with everything going on; maybe you should have a check-up yourself? Maybe she's worried about you?

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You've been under stress too with everything going on; maybe you should have a check-up yourself? Maybe she's worried about you?
Yeah it’s been rough. Grandma, whose 98, just moved in and she’s not doing well at all. My parents put majority of it on me and my younger sister but I have two classes left until I graduate so I’m trying to get a job lined up and everything planned so I’m sure my fur baby sees that. I got really sick last semester after finals (I took 7 classes that semester and most were my tougher math courses) for nearly 2 weeks and I literally couldn’t get up for most of it. I’ve never been sick like that before in my life. And every single day, without failure, Arabella would bring me home a “gift” because I guess she knew mommy wasn’t feeling well and wasn’t eating so she wanted to make sure I ate and got better. One day, I was on the couch in the garage, and she walked inside with a LIVING UNINJURED ADULT rabbit. She dropped it at my feet and went back outside, almost like “here’s a pet to make you feel better mom I’ll see you later.” I stood there dumbfounded but also really proud. She’s the best man. She knows when mommy isn’t feeling good so maybe she does sense it and is trying to comfort me. I never liked cats much before her and people say how they don’t love their owners and blah blah blah but that couldn’t be farther from the truth with Belly. We’ve only been together a year and it’s amazing how close we are and how in tune we are with eachother.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
And every single day, without failure, Arabella would bring me home a “gift” because I guess she knew mommy wasn’t feeling well and wasn’t eating so she wanted to make sure I ate and got better. One day, I was on the couch in the garage, and she walked inside with a LIVING UNINJURED ADULT rabbit.
Oh wow, what an amazing girl you have! Our Gohan, who was raised from a feral kitten by my BF, brings my BF his little plastic toy mice. There's usually a few by his side of the bed in the morning, and once after we went on vacation for a week there was a semi-circle of mice surrounding his computer desk chair. It was so sweet.

Nothing alive though :confused:

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was just asking myself this. My boy is usually very rowdy and semi-affectionate but for the past two days he has been extra cuddly and attention seeking. I am paranoid it has to be a bad thing. Maybe he is just growing up.