Cat Suddenly Scared Of Entire Upper Level

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I thought maybe my 11 month old kitten was sick. He has been a VERY social, cuddly, playful guy from day 1. Then, it seemed like a switch flipped and he refused to come out of the basement rec room. When he did come upstairs, he acted VERY anxious, unsettled, etc. He seemed freaked out especially by some new flip flops I bought for my kids, but literally everything about being upstairs freaked him out. He didn't even want to look out his window that he normally spends hours doing.

Yesterday, I took him to the vet, and surprisingly enough, he acted back to his old normal self! Cuddling with me and my kids and even the vet tech. After examining him, the vet said he couldn't see anything obviously physically wrong with him. KitKat even rolled over to let the vet rub/examine his tummy, lol.

He'll allow us to pet him while he is downstairs, but bring him up and he is the very definition of a scaredy cat. His food is upstairs and he's not eating much (but enough where I'm not worried about dehydration or anything).

I just don't know what to do here. Do I move everything in the basement? I just want my old kitty back. :(

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Outmannedmama Outmannedmama ! Have your kids ever worn the flip-flop shoes while in the rec room downstairs? If not, I'd really suspect that the flip-flops are what is freaking out KitKat. It's the sound and, if he's seen them doing their flippy-floppy action in person, possibly the sight of them that is making him unsure if they are harmless to him or not. That's my guess.

If it were me and if I knew it was the flip-flop noises that were the issue, I would just have the kids not wear flip-flops until the kitten/young cat can learn exactly what they are and when it is that they make sounds. Then he can learn that they can be harmless to him. That will take a little desensitizing training -- slow and easy. Leave them out just around the upstairs, "harmlessly" not adorning your kids' feet -- he can smell them and get used to that smell. Put them away; take them out; sit by them when he's around. Then you and the kids can handle them in front of him; slowly do an intro into putting them on -- do some minor flippy-floppy walks, then take 'em off again and leave them sitting around for a day or two. Let him run off if he needs to "escape"; don't force him to be around them. It could just take a little time. He should get more used to simply seeing them and hearing them.

You could set an extra food and water dish downstairs for KitKat while still having the upstairs food location. Then he can eat wherever he feels safer. And as he gets more used to the new summertime, noisy shoes in the house, he'll eat upstairs too when he is feeling safe and brave.

It may work, it may not! Worth a try, if you think it is the flip-flops. Kittens just need to decipher exactly what and where new sounds and smells and sights are coming from, and increase their confidence levels.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Can you put away the flip-flops for a bit and work on desensitizing, as mentioned in the great advice from pushpurrcatpaws? This may take a bit of time and patience, and you'll definitely need to take food and water downstairs to him from what it sounds like, ie he's really frightened about something. You don't want him to loose weight, plus he's stressed, and also he's still young enough that his system is still in growth mode and he needs all the nutrition he can get.

You could try a couple of other things; After you put his food all the way down in the basement for a couple of days, then place the food two steps up from the basement floor for a couple of days. When you're sure he is ok with that, then move the food up another two stair steps. Gradually get him up to the top and depending on how he feels, then gradually out into the main part of the house unless he's ok with everything at that point.

The other thing you could try, either by leaving his food downstairs or in combination, is using his favorite treats to ease him back up the stairs on his own over a few days as opposed to being carried up.

The thing of it is, it's totally on his timeframe and schedule, be relaxed, calm and serene. He's ok with being downstairs, and he'll come back upstairs eventually :)

The only other thing is that I'm wondering if he saw or heard something outside that scared him? You could try some calming music upstairs as well - I don't know but it might help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Outmannedmama Outmannedmama ! Have your kids ever worn the flip-flop shoes while in the rec room downstairs? If not, I'd really suspect that the flip-flops are what is freaking out KitKat. It's the sound and, if he's seen them doing their flippy-floppy action in person, possibly the sight of them that is making him unsure if they are harmless to him or not. That's my guess.

If it were me and if I knew it was the flip-flop noises that were the issue, I would just have the kids not wear flip-flops until the kitten/young cat can learn exactly what they are and when it is that they make sounds. Then he can learn that they can be harmless to him. That will take a little desensitizing training -- slow and easy. Leave them out just around the upstairs, "harmlessly" not adorning your kids' feet -- he can smell them and get used to that smell. Put them away; take them out; sit by them when he's around. Then you and the kids can handle them in front of him; slowly do an intro into putting them on -- do some minor flippy-floppy walks, then take 'em off again and leave them sitting around for a day or two. Let him run off if he needs to "escape"; don't force him to be around them. It could just take a little time. He should get more used to simply seeing them and hearing them.

You could set an extra food and water dish downstairs for KitKat while still having the upstairs food location. Then he can eat wherever he feels safer. And as he gets more used to the new summertime, noisy shoes in the house, he'll eat upstairs too when he is feeling safe and brave.

It may work, it may not! Worth a try, if you think it is the flip-flops. Kittens just need to decipher exactly what and where new sounds and smells and sights are coming from, and increase their confidence levels.
We've been wearing flip flops all summer, but these are new ones. Maybe more flippy-floppy? Lol. What you are saying all makes sense and seems plausible. We will try your suggestions, thank you!

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Can you put away the flip-flops for a bit and work on desensitizing, as mentioned in the great advice from pushpurrcatpaws? This may take a bit of time and patience, and you'll definitely need to take food and water downstairs to him from what it sounds like, ie he's really frightened about something. You don't want him to loose weight, plus he's stressed, and also he's still young enough that his system is still in growth mode and he needs all the nutrition he can get.

You could try a couple of other things; After you put his food all the way down in the basement for a couple of days, then place the food two steps up from the basement floor for a couple of days. When you're sure he is ok with that, then move the food up another two stair steps. Gradually get him up to the top and depending on how he feels, then gradually out into the main part of the house unless he's ok with everything at that point.

The other thing you could try, either by leaving his food downstairs or in combination, is using his favorite treats to ease him back up the stairs on his own over a few days as opposed to being carried up.

The thing of it is, it's totally on his timeframe and schedule, be relaxed, calm and serene. He's ok with being downstairs, and he'll come back upstairs eventually :)

The only other thing is that I'm wondering if he saw or heard something outside that scared him? You could try some calming music upstairs as well - I don't know but it might help.
All great ideas and we will start implementing ASAP. I love this site. Thank you!!

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
or rubbery smelling, maybe?

and we love that you're here! Let us know how things go as you and he progress throughout this new adventure :vibes::heartshape:
Didn't think about the rubbery smell. That seems spot on. Cats are such tricky little creatures!

Also, I had my husband move his food, bed and litter box (opposite side from bed and food) into the rec room. Hubby said he ate like he was starving. Poor thing. I feel bad I didn't do that immediately. :bawling:

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
KitKat has now eaten and drank water and used his litter box. Hopefully his confined space will help him to feel better soon. Got some feliway plugged and started to implement some if your suggestions. Thank you again!

Attachments

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
KitKat came upstairs of his own freewill today!!! Only for a short time but I think we are on the right path!!! Thank you again for your help and advice!

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've had lots of 2 steps forward, 5 steps back, but I wanted to update this in case anyone ever searches for help on this same issue.

KitKat is back to his old self almost 100%. I completely credit the advice given here along with running feliway not stop in all levels of the house. We have 4 diffusers, lol.

Here he is tonight in all his glory. Chillaxing in the kitchen like nothing ever bothered him.

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Damn, here's the pic. Lol.

We've had lots of 2 steps forward, 5 steps back, but I wanted to update this in case anyone ever searches for help on this same issue.

KitKat is back to his old self almost 100%. I completely credit the advice given here along with running feliway not stop in all levels of the house. We have 4 diffusers, lol.

Here he is tonight in all his glory. Chillaxing in the kitchen like nothing ever bothered him.

Attachments